Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Blank Canvas

I'm in the process of fixing up my house. It's an ugly suburban cookie cutter built in 1971 but I would like to give it a nice vintage/Golden Era flavor if it all possible. Though it isn't 100% yet, here's the living room of which I've had some work done. Any suggestions?

DSCF03971_zps266a7d71.jpg

DSCF03991_zps9e0a2aef.jpg

DSCF04021_zps42e1a92d.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The number one job, would be to sand off the popcorn ceiling texture. Nothing screams 60-70s more then that. Some wide ceiling cornice would help, much cheaper then it used to be, now that there are some man made alternatives. Man that room is 70s, I think The Brady Bunch are about to walk in!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In all the vintage homes/apartments I've had there were loads of moldings, wainscoting, dado rails, etc....

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
What's your taste?
The ceiling is nice and tall... well, half of it anyway. I'd put some big, potted plants in there. Maybe a couple of palms or something. Also, some nice,older looking rugs. Darker, heavy furniture, too would add to the effect.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Don't forget the lights. From what I see it is rather dark in the rooms. Maybe add some windows if teh budget allows?

Mike

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sometimes you have to listen to the building.
And there are some who are hard of hearing: I had an aunt in Chicago who moved into a Mies van der Rohe apartment building with her French antique furnishings. At the same moment in time, less than a mile up the road lived Mies van der Rohe, in an Art Deco apartment building filled with modern furniture of his own design. [huh]

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
With a vaulted ceiling like that, I think (once you remove the popcorn) some faux beams, very dark and heavy looking, would add a 20s/30s Spanish-influenced California feel to the room, especially if you could add an arched doorway or two.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The number one job, would be to sand off the popcorn ceiling texture.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

The house I live in has the same butt-ugly 'popcorn' look on the ceiling as well (also built in the 60s/70s) and it is just hideous - to say nothing of a damn mess whenever it crumbles off into dust on the floor. Fortunately we only have it in one room in the house, and it's not a room we use regularly.

Your house wants to be a Dick Van Dyke show set. Sometimes you have to listen to the building.

Move the doorway up onto the raised platform, add in an ottoman, and you're halfway there.

[video=youtube;wPsofhzu9f0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPsofhzu9f0[/video]

In the last picture, what's that space on the left with all the boxes in it?

Is that a fireplace at the back of the room? I reckon it'd be nice if you put a console radio or large record-player on the hearth to the left of the fireplace. It would break up the incredible ugliness of that exposed brick. On the other side of the fireplace, you could put a bookcase or something. And a 1930s-style mantle-clock on top...

c10565a.jpg

A work in progress. I've been trying out a few things, nothing is definite yet. The mahogany bookcase had been in my family for years. The next step will be to do the landing in the same laminate flooring.

DSCF05181_zps0a6f98e3.jpg

DSCF05211_zps5cc45867.jpg

DSCF05201_zps7cd8ba9a.jpg

DSCF05191_zps0388db76.jpg

I just recently won this poster on eBay. I'll probably put it right over the bookcase.

7005275396_4c477485d9_o.jpg

Is that a fireplace at the back of the room? I reckon it'd be nice if you put a console radio or large record-player on the hearth to the left of the fireplace. It would break up the incredible ugliness of that exposed brick. On the other side of the fireplace, you could put a bookcase or something. And a 1930s-style mantle-clock on top...

c10565a.jpg

There's a watch repair shop right near my house. He also has some vintage clocks for sale. One of them is an art deco mantel clock in onyx. If he still has it I might go pick it up.

Last edited:

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
I second the arched opening ideas.

When my dad was a boy (born 1919) his mother wanted the square openings in the house changed to fashionable arched ones. This is the same woman who got the post office to change the house's address from "Henry St." to "Montclair St." (corner lot). Montclair was much classier, you see.
Grandpa didn't want to deal with the construction, so while he was at work one day, she sent my dad out to the shed for the sledge. She started the necessary demolition herself and told her husband when he got home that he might as well fix the doorway with an arch.

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
And could you modify the fireplace to be centered on the wall, with built in bookcases to either side? I'd add windows (or the appearance of windows) to either side above the mantel level also).

EDIT
Never mind. I didn't remember the slanted ceiling at that end.

Last edited:

mikepara

Practically Family
I might like Golden era clothes but my personal home choice is 1967-73. I'd love to live in a version of your house. I'd redo it in full of 60's-70's wallpaper and furniture and get those pile carpets back in!
However in the real world my wife furnished our house when I was in the service, only fair, and her taste is crap, full of bright modern scandinavian flat packed stuff. I'm not going to tell her because I quite like having my gonads...

I wish you luck and hope you get the look your after.

And there are some who are hard of hearing: I had an aunt in Chicago who moved into a Mies van der Rohe apartment building with her French antique furnishings. At the same moment in time, less than a mile up the road lived Mies van der Rohe, in an Art Deco apartment building filled with modern furniture of his own design. [huh]

Interesting. One of my neighbors is related to Mies van der Rohe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112