Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A call to the wine snobs amongst us...

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
I need help remembering a delicious little find I had several years back.

It was a red and had a distinctly chocolate flavor when chilled properly. I discovered it at a tasting in southern Georgia of all places. If I remember correctly it was a Petite Syrah. What I do not remember is the label.

I'd love to find a wine party here in Memphis.

Rachael

A-List Customer
it certainly sounds like a Petite Syrah. do you recall the label at all? colors, images, etc? was the vineyard in Georgia or just the tasting?

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
Sadly I don't remember anything about it. That was years ago. I'm not certain where the vineyard was, but I don't think it was Georgia. The tasting was fun. They held it in a bank after hours.

SPRFINO

Familiar Face
This is why wine afficianados write down their tasting notes. However I have found that a fine meal and fine company adds as much to the drinking experience as anything. A great wine with great friends can create a lasting memory. Try the same vintage in different circumstances and it may fall flat.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tamamiko said:
Sadly I don't remember anything about it. That was years ago. I'm not certain where the vineyard was, but I don't think it was Georgia. The tasting was fun. They held it in a bank after hours.

Sounds like a great excuse to go do some wine tasting, myself... ;)

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
SPRFINO said:
This is why wine aficionados write down their tasting notes. However I have found that a fine meal and fine company adds as much to the drinking experience as anything. A great wine with great friends can create a lasting memory. Try the same vintage in different circumstances and it may fall flat.

Perhaps, but at the time i was but a mere fledgling in the community. This was many moons ago.

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
Sounds like a great excuse to go do some wine tasting, myself... ;)

i concur. Oddly, i don't have the same connections in the large city that i had in a small rural town in Georgia. i have yet to find a good circle to fall into.

tortswon

Practically Family
Petite Sirah

Sadly, this grape has fallen out of favor in recent years. Many old vines all over California have been ripped out to make room for more desirable commercial wine grapes. Among the better known winemakers who produce this little gem are David Bruce, Peachy Canyon, and Rosenblum Estates. These wineries have wide distribution and you might be able to convince a friendly purveyor to special order some for you if s/he does not usually carry it. Hope this helps. Best, Sam

PS Bogle and Concannon also make good examples of this wine at reasonable prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran