A Cocktail that has really grown on me: The Bloody Mary

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by MK, Jul 2, 2011.

1. MikePotts

MikePotts Practically Family

Slightly OT , but how much does a bottle of spirits sell for in UK these days? - I know it scared me last time I was there - I think a G&T at the airport hotel was 6 quid!

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Hotel drink prices are egregiously high compared to most of a city's purveyors. Night clubs can get silly as well.

3. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

A lot more than it did a few months ago! Gordons gin is about £15 for a 700ml bottle at the supermarket.

4. MissLaurieMarie

MissLaurieMarie One of the Regulars

I certainly perfer the Canadian version - the Caesar, made with Clamato juice (that's tomato and clam juice) instead of straight tomato, it really gives it quite the extra oomph. Add a pickled asparagus or a hot pickled jalapeno... delicious! I like mine extra-spicy.

5. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

Thanks for the pickled jalapeno idea, MissLaurieMarie! We had SEVERAL bloody marias over the weekend, and the pickled jalapeno garnish absolutely made them!

6. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Stumbled upon this thread, but it sure got me to fiending for a Bloody Mary.
    :D

7. Now I am too lol

8. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

If I am to achieve one thing tomorrow, it must be to find/create a Bloody Mary! I now crave!

9. I'm rooting you on! :D

10. SamMarlowPI

SamMarlowPI One Too Many

i love zing zang. love a spicy bloody mary.

11. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

If its spicy - REALLY SPICY - I'm in. Love those too. With a lime and we're set!

12. kiwilrdg

kiwilrdg A-List Customer

Last night I tried 2 Gin versions.
    Tanqueray Rangpur Lime Gin was pretty good, the lime taste was good at holding up to the spices,
    Hendrick's Gin was great, the cucumber taste of the gin was great with the tomato juice. I made the Hendrick's a little less spicy to keep the gin taste.

As long as you use good quality tomato juice and good spirits I don't think there is a bad bloody mary.

13. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

I use the Zing Zang for Red Beer too, that's great. I saw a Bloody Mary recipe that included Guinness, but I just can't go there.

Later

14. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Never tried that. I se Bombay Sapphire. My favorite since our wedding!Indian limes are also really excellent, but harder to find. Man, I know what I'm having tonight!

15. SamMarlowPI

SamMarlowPI One Too Many

there is a bar downtown that has a version called, "The Meal".

it's a tall, spicy, zing zang bloody mary with horseradish and then they put a stick of jerky, a hunk of cheese, a pickle wedge and a couple giant martini olives on a wooden dowel and lay that across the top. yummmmmm. and it's 5 bucks. cha-ching!

16. Sam Diamond

Sam Diamond Familiar Face

I've tried twice to do the Bloody Mary and had to pour them out both times. Something about tomato juice just makes me gag.

17. BM's (well, read that as you will) are a real treat. Best served with a small beer chaser.

18. You sound like me. I make mine with:
    [​IMG]
    That makes it spicy enough. :p

19. Use less of it-what a happy solution!

20. About an hour or so south of TJ just along the coast is a sports bar with a name like Ray's. Best Bloody Mary I have ever had.