Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Complete Broadcasting Day

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I know that one of the lady loungers, as her name slips my mind, offers complete broadcast days for your listening pleasure. Here is a little something I came across. A complete broadcasting day, from WJSV Washington DC, September 21st, 1939.

Tune in your radios now!

Broadcast

It will sound best either completely downloaded or through an "MP3 via M3U", located on the left hand side of the window

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I borrowed that on cassettes from a friend years ago. I'm still trying to figure out how a single broadcast day could contain that many 15 minute soap operas. I think there were about 200, all sharing about nine actors, four storylines and one seriously overworked organist.

I know that one of the lady loungers, as her name slips my mind, offers complete broadcast days for your listening pleasure.
I kind of doubt there is another complete broadcast day out there from before the advent of tape. Doing this in 1939 involved discs, and lots of 'em. Plus, it was incredibly expensive to do with any kind of sound quality.

Plus plus, we were still in a pre-information age. Knowledge was what you learned in school or what fit between hard covers in a library. People didn't think of "media" as a concept at all - certainly not as something to be kept and preserved (unless they were compulsive hoarders, and even they weren't much on the "preserved" angle). Newspapers, non-feature films, pop music, and especially radio were to be experienced once, remembered, or forgotten.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
I kind of doubt there is another complete broadcast day out there from before the advent of tape. Doing this in 1939 involved discs, and lots of 'em. Plus, it was incredibly expensive to do with any kind of sound quality.
These were not in english. :p

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I believe Lizziemaine is the Lounger that mentioned the complete 1939 broadcast before. She is one of the most knowledgable people in relation to old radio.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

missjo

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
Yes! Miss Joeri is the lady I was trying to remember.

It is I ;)

There is another complete radio day broadcast out there, its 6-june 1944.
Very interesting to follow the news from the moment they interrupt for the first time.
And yes I sell that one too.... oops subtle spam there ;)

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
I downloaded the "complete day" onto my MP3 player. I have one of the replica Crosleys with the cassette player in the side. I also have one of the cassette adapters from a Sony CD Walkman player.

Being that I didn't have to work or do anything today...and it snowed all day here, I took this opportunity to stay in my PJs and awake at 6am to start playing the "complete day" through the Crosley.

Pretty nifty I must say.

I even heard the ad for Campbells Tomato Soup and fell victim to the ad and had Campbells Tomato Soup for supper.

Go here for a zillion free downloads. You have to sign up but it's free. http://zootradio.com/showlist.html

Neat way to spend a day....I swear I was born 50 years too late!

missjo

Practically Family
I have 3 ipods attached to a 1970s tuner hidden within my 1930s radio...
they play loops of 1930s broadcasts (mostly music though) 24-7.
So at any time I can push the bakelite button and turn the bakelite switch to get some amazing broadcasts, I can even turn the buttons to change channels.
I can listen to 1940s Dutch Radio, Radio France and even the BBC... although its illegal... the Germans dont allow it ;)

zithoek.sized.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
priestyboy said:
I downloaded the "complete day" onto my MP3 player. I have one of the replica Crosleys with the cassette player in the side. I also have one of the cassette adapters from a Sony CD Walkman player.

Being that I didn't have to work or do anything today...and it snowed all day here, I took this opportunity to stay in my PJs and awake at 6am to start playing the "complete day" through the Crosley.

Pretty nifty I must say.

I even heard the ad for Campbells Tomato Soup and fell victim to the ad and had Campbells Tomato Soup for supper.

Go here for a zillion free downloads. You have to sign up but it's free. http://zootradio.com/showlist.html

Neat way to spend a day....I swear I was born 50 years too late!

You should write Campbell's and tell them that a 68 year old ad still works for them.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points