Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A confession

barnabus

One Too Many
My name is Barnabus, and I prefer wearing waxed cotton and denim to leather jackets. There.

I like to look at leather jackets. I like how they age and patinate, and build different character dependent on the wearer. But when I wear one I never feel comfortable. I never feel that I'm not just dressing up.

I keep buying them though, ofc. But then don't wear them and so sell them again. Whereas when I buy a denim jacket I'll wear it all the time. Or waxed cotton.

They patinate almost as much/as well, but they're so much easier to wear. And there's just as much timeless appeal as a leather jacket too!

>gasp!<

Wait until I unleash the progress of my 23oz IH trucker this spring, The creases and fades will shame every leather jacket ever posted on this or any other forum so severely that you'l all be wearing PU jackets by summer.
UPa1QZ1.gif

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So I have both. Waxed cotton, even denim that feels like waxed cotton, and then of course, leathers of several types.

My confession with the jacket side of waxed cotton, at least, is that even after you have worn it for an hour or more, it never really "settles" onto you and makes itself feel like your second skin. It does more than, say, a polyester microfiber fleece jacket. However there is for me (sad to admit this) no "emotional" connection to it. It's one of thoese rare connections between a man (or woman) and his (or her) jacket. Yes, I need psychological help. :)

upload_2019-12-12_9-11-31.png

This was sourced from: https://peanuts.fandom.com/wiki/Lucy's_psychiatry_booth

SinSir

A-List Customer
Long live leather and when it no longer does I request to be buried in it like Sid Vicious! But wait I want to be cremated too, I can't do it either!

Jokes aside, waxed and denim is cool too. But serve different purposes for me.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I love the way that waxed cotton looks, esp. with some age on it. However, I find that it very clammy. Whenever I wear my Barbour jacket and do even moderate walking (even when it is fairly cool), I notice quite a bit of moisture build up in the shoulders/upper arm area. Now, I have the Barbour Ashby with is a slimmer cut and maybe the more generous cuts breathe a little better.

My name is Barnabus, and I prefer wearing waxed cotton and denim to leather jackets. There.

I like to look at leather jackets. I like how they age and patinate, and build different character dependent on the wearer. But when I wear one I never feel comfortable. I never feel that I'm not just dressing up.

I keep buying them though, ofc. But then don't wear them and so sell them again. Whereas when I buy a denim jacket I'll wear it all the time. Or waxed cotton.

They patinate almost as much/as well, but they're so much easier to wear. And there's just as much timeless appeal as a leather jacket too!

>gasp!<

Same...

But! Leather vest over a denim jacket. Works for me!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
leather jacket over denim jacket works as well. but agree denim jacket is easier to wear

but to me personally since I don't have any fade happening on 1 year old jeans, wearing all denim combo sometime make me self aware how a fake/lame-ass denimhead wannabe I am:confused:, at least on some of my leather, I have patina and set in creases to prove some dedication

Last edited:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here

>gasp!<

My son, it is not enough to merely confess; you must also repent of your sins. Say ten hail Aeros every night for a week and do not look up any Himel, Lost Worlds or Japanese premium brand leather wear on the internet for the same time period. :D:p

What’s funny is I actually like leather so much more but wear it so much less. I don’t really know why but it’s undeniably true.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wish I preferred waxed cotton to leather but it is just too sweaty and high maintenance for my taste - having owned Drizabones and Barbours for 20 years, the work involved (yearly reproofing) and the comfort factor make them less enjoyable than leather; but the truth is I also prefer the look of waxed cotton.

Last edited:

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
I love leather for my jackets but when traveling on business, the road warrior life and related activities (e.g., meetings and the like) forces me to to focus on function / versatility over form. In these situations I'm better served with synthetics. Same with luggage. I'll occasionally wear a leather on my trips but unfortunately it's not the norm.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

>gasp!<

I actually find wearing a denim jacket harder. I don't like the denim on denim look and considering I am wearing jeans most of the time...

So for this reason I have not bought either a denim jacket or shirt in a very long time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB