A confession

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by barnabus, Dec 12, 2019.

1. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

My name is Barnabus, and I prefer wearing waxed cotton and denim to leather jackets. There.

I like to look at leather jackets. I like how they age and patinate, and build different character dependent on the wearer. But when I wear one I never feel comfortable. I never feel that I'm not just dressing up.

I keep buying them though, ofc. But then don't wear them and so sell them again. Whereas when I buy a denim jacket I'll wear it all the time. Or waxed cotton.

They patinate almost as much/as well, but they're so much easier to wear. And there's just as much timeless appeal as a leather jacket too!

>gasp!<

patrick_b, navetsea, AlexB and 6 others like this.
  2. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I understand

Bfd70, navetsea, AlexB and 1 other person like this.
  3. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

You two are disgusting!

4. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Shame, shame . . .

5. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Mods, please ban rebel scum and close thread.

6. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Wait until I unleash the progress of my 23oz IH trucker this spring, The creases and fades will shame every leather jacket ever posted on this or any other forum so severely that you'l all be wearing PU jackets by summer.
    [​IMG]

patrick_b, navetsea, AlexB and 5 others like this.
  7. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

So I have both. Waxed cotton, even denim that feels like waxed cotton, and then of course, leathers of several types.

My confession with the jacket side of waxed cotton, at least, is that even after you have worn it for an hour or more, it never really "settles" onto you and makes itself feel like your second skin. It does more than, say, a polyester microfiber fleece jacket. However there is for me (sad to admit this) no "emotional" connection to it. It's one of thoese rare connections between a man (or woman) and his (or her) jacket. Yes, I need psychological help. :)

upload_2019-12-12_9-11-31.png

This was sourced from: https://peanuts.fandom.com/wiki/Lucy's_psychiatry_booth

El Marro and Logician like this.
  8. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

I’ve got both and nylon and denim ones too - no shame at all

9. SinSir

SinSir One of the Regulars

Long live leather and when it no longer does I request to be buried in it like Sid Vicious! But wait I want to be cremated too, I can't do it either!

Jokes aside, waxed and denim is cool too. But serve different purposes for me.

navetsea and ton312 like this.
  10. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

I love the way that waxed cotton looks, esp. with some age on it. However, I find that it very clammy. Whenever I wear my Barbour jacket and do even moderate walking (even when it is fairly cool), I notice quite a bit of moisture build up in the shoulders/upper arm area. Now, I have the Barbour Ashby with is a slimmer cut and maybe the more generous cuts breathe a little better.

11. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Same...

But! Leather vest over a denim jacket. Works for me!

sweetfights, navetsea and ton312 like this.
  12. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

leather jacket over denim jacket works as well. but agree denim jacket is easier to wear

but to me personally since I don't have any fade happening on 1 year old jeans, wearing all denim combo sometime make me self aware how a fake/lame-ass denimhead wannabe I am:confused:, at least on some of my leather, I have patina and set in creases to prove some dedication

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    sweetfights likes this.
  13. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

My son, it is not enough to merely confess; you must also repent of your sins. Say ten hail Aeros every night for a week and do not look up any Himel, Lost Worlds or Japanese premium brand leather wear on the internet for the same time period. :D:p

14. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

What’s funny is I actually like leather so much more but wear it so much less. I don’t really know why but it’s undeniably true.

Monitor likes this.
  15. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I wish I preferred waxed cotton to leather but it is just too sweaty and high maintenance for my taste - having owned Drizabones and Barbours for 20 years, the work involved (yearly reproofing) and the comfort factor make them less enjoyable than leather; but the truth is I also prefer the look of waxed cotton.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Monitor likes this.
  16. Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru One of the Regulars

I love leather for my jackets but when traveling on business, the road warrior life and related activities (e.g., meetings and the like) forces me to to focus on function / versatility over form. In these situations I'm better served with synthetics. Same with luggage. I'll occasionally wear a leather on my trips but unfortunately it's not the norm.

Benny Holiday and AeroFan_07 like this.
  17. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

Look what I was wearing to walk my daughter around to school this morning.

Waxed cotton and denim!

[​IMG]

*Barbour and Gap 1969 btw.

18. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That conspicuous Barbour tag would annoy me.

Bobby Peru likes this.
  19. red devil

red devil One Too Many

I actually find wearing a denim jacket harder. I don't like the denim on denim look and considering I am wearing jeans most of the time...

So for this reason I have not bought either a denim jacket or shirt in a very long time

20. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

Heavy metal, or no metal at all!
    Wimps and posers, leave the hall!

JMax, ton312, navetsea and 1 other person like this.