Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of fashion pet peeves...

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I'm too old to be a "hipster wannabe," but most of my hats are stingy brims. I have an Akubra Campdraft on order because I want to see what a larger brim will do for me (my earlier experiments with wider brims was a dismal failure).

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know why... you offered up another example of dramaturgy (30 posts back). The disheveled, pre-occupied with pondering the universe look is the "uniform" we expect to see worn by a college professor. I love it when a circle closes!
Ha! The funny thing is that I really am the "absent-minded professor." Ask any of my students.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Reading through the various hat related forums on FL makes me feel like "WOW!, there sure are a lot of hat Snobs about"!
A pet peeve is reading about the huge faux pas of wearing, for example, a baseball cap or stingy brim hat at my age (early 50s).

39065253414_6e4f1a50a6_k.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Two pair of pants... and a vest. I haven't bought a vest with my suit in years - partially because it seems to call attention to my growing gut; but also because most business men I interact with wear two-piece suits. I'd quickly go back to a vest IF they came back in "style". I'd also invest in a handsome watch bob to go with my fathers pocket watch. So to the forum: to vest or not to vest?

These days I tend to go with a contrasting vest when I wear a 2 -piece suit with lapels that are cut high enough to work with a vest (most 2-piece suits today have long, low lapels that do not work with said waistcoat).

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Reading through the various hat related forums on FL makes me feel like "WOW!, there sure are a lot of hat Snobs about"! A pet peeve is reading about the huge faux pas of wearing, for example, a baseball cap or stingy brim hat at my age (early 50s).
You have a point, but hat snobbery pales into insignificance compered to the aficionados of the leather jacket fraternity.

viclip

Practically Family
Reading through the various hat related forums on FL makes me feel like "WOW!, there sure are a lot of hat Snobs about"!
A pet peeve is reading about the huge faux pas of wearing, for example, a baseball cap or stingy brim hat at my age (early 50s).

Fashion or style aside, the first thing I noticed about your stingy brim was that it failed to provide adequate protection from the sun. I see from your avatar that you're not averse to wider brims. Every so often I like to remind the membership that a minimum 2.5" brim (preferably 3") is needed for UV protection & that the US Surgeon General recently opined that skin cancer was attaining epidemic proportions.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Fashion or style aside, the first thing I noticed about your stingy brim was that it failed to provide adequate protection from the sun. I see from your avatar that you're not averse to wider brims. Every so often I like to remind the membership that a minimum 2.5" brim (preferably 3") is needed for UV protection & that the US Surgeon General recently opined that skin cancer was attaining epidemic proportions.

I had plenty of sun screen on and also wore long sleeved shirts and long trousers. I no longer wear that hat, though I still have it, and have several wider brimmed hats now. :)

View media item 1477

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had plenty of sun screen on and also wore long sleeved shirts and long trousers. I no longer wear that hat, though I still have it, and have several wider brimmed hats now. :)

View media item 1477
That hat looks a lot better than the stingy. I think it has a lot to do with ethnicity and the shape of one's head and face. Northern Europeans, with, generally, wider faces and squarer heads look terrible in skimpy-brims or hats with tapered crowns. My head and facial shapes are similar to yours, and on the couple of occasions I've tried on those types of hats (most of the Borsalino styles, e.g.) I couldn't get them off my head quickly enough: Zippy the Pinhead was looking back at me out of the mirror. I t was striking how much of a difference the brims and crown shapes made.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
I think my biggest pet peeve is (since I'm technically a millenial) is being called a hipster for wearing suits, sweaters and hats. It doesn't help that I live in a very, very rural area where most people wear camo daily, which is a pet peeve of my own.

Perhaps it's only around here but has anyone else seen camo tuxes? They're popular here. Good lord, have mercy on my retinas.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Incidentally, I just noticed you're from Monmouth. My cousin goes to the college there, and I'd never heard of it until she started attending 3 years ago.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Incidentally, I just noticed you're from Monmouth. My cousin goes to the college there, and I'd never heard of it until she started attending 3 years ago.
Yup, the college is about the only noteworthy thing here. I live only a block from the campus.
Frankly, I'm shocked anyone has heard of it at all!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think my biggest pet peeve is (since I'm technically a millenial) is being called a hipster for wearing suits, sweaters and hats. It doesn't help that I live in a very, very rural area where most people wear camo daily, which is a pet peeve of my own.

Perhaps it's only around here but has anyone else seen camo tuxes? They're popular here. Good lord, have mercy on my retinas.

I actually had to look this one up in order to remove it from my 'Nah, couldn't be!' folder. ;) But here it is:

C9625.jpg

MondoFW

Practically Family
Who thought this was a good idea? At that point, the groom might as well show up in work clothes, which would probably be more formal than this corny yee-haw garb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto