Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Good Deed Indeed!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Riding my bike this Sunday morning, I saw an elderly
couple dressed in their Easter best taking photos in
the front yard.
I offered to take photos of them together
sharing a wonderful occasion.

They were very happy & it made me feel good.

The other day, my neighbor took ill & I offered to mow his yard.
He offered to pay. But I told him that was not necessary.
His smile was payment for me.
Share if you want, something in the past or perhaps something
for tomorrow, no matter how small you may think it is.
Someone will appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
One day I found a pack of cigarettes. For some strange reason I put it in my pocket even though I don't smoke. Later on that day a woman stopped me and asked if I had a cigarette. I told her I didn't have any and went on my way. But then I realized that I still had that pack of cigarettes on me so I went back and gave her the whole pack and then she hugged me.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
About ten miles from where I live is a small village called Alderholt. Delighted villagers awoke to find the Easter Bunny had visited them overnight - leaving a chocolate egg on the doorstep of every house.
Residents in Alderholt said they believe every house in the village was left the unexpected Easter gift by the mystery benefactor.
The village has a population of around 3,000 people, with delighted families and residents saying this is the first time it has happened.
Click on the link of Alderholt and it will take you to the local newspaper that ran the story.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love this thread.

Because we live overseas, we are extremely grateful for the number of neighbors, church members, close and distant friends back home who go out of their way to drop in on, and run errands for, my wife's mother. Whenever anyone of these saints happen to be on vacation in our neck of the woods, we drop everything and treat them as royalty. When their kids come back-packing through, we offer to be a port in a storm where they and their friends can lodge, do laundry etc. We are big on the concept of "paying it forward" to the extent we can, but are always mindful that we are always in a position of playing "catch up".

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago, while on an evening walk, my daughter and I came across a folder on the ground, its contents strewn all over. I picked it up and saw that there were a lot of important documents in it made out to a man named Paul, including a check for over $2,000. I found a phone number, called it, and got Paul's wife. She said he had driven all night from Kentucky and was in Nebraska. She gave me his number, and I called and left a message. About an hour later, he called me back and thanked me over and over again. A little while later, he stopped by my house to pick it up. He shook my hand, said thank you again, and told me he had just gotten back from the Army, and the folder had a lot of important stuff in it. "I'm so glad to know there are still wonderful people in the world like you," he said. He shook my hand, smiled and then left. Awesome moment.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Last summer one of the local green-hair-and-tattoos "alterna-kids" was riding his skateboard on the sidewalk in front of the theatre, doing leaps over the granite benches, when he miscalculated and took a dramatic spill on the bricks, "road-rashing" himself from face to shin. I helped him inside, made sure nothing was broken, sprayed him liberally with Bactine, bandaged him up, gave him a Coke, and sent him on his way.

Not long after, the same thing happened to another such kid -- and he came into the theatre under his own power so I could fix him up. Apparently word's gotten around.

Several years ago, a patron had a heart attack during a Metropolitan Opera screening. I helped her into the lobby, got her nitroglycerine pill into her, called the ambulance, and assigned one of the kids to watch over her husband, who has aphasia and couldn't understand anything anybody said to him. We got them off to the hospital safely, despite being shooshed several times by patrons who thought we were making too much noise.

Several years ago in Boston, my girlfriend and I found a wallet on the street stuffed full of money and travels checked, a hotel key (the card kind not the old-style key), ID, etc. Being a tourist town, our assumption was a tourist lost his wallet. We found a policeman and gave it to him. He asked if we wanted to give him our names in case the owner wanted to give us a reward.

Here's the reward: knowing how great that person felt when they got back their wallet, with all the money and cards, etc. in it. Vacation saved. That is such a great moment, just knowing we had a small part in it made us feel really good. Neither of us wanted to cheapen it by "getting a reward."

Feraud

Bartender
I can remember one summer a few years back it felt like every day my son was finding someone's dog that wandered off. We made many trips around the neighborhood and to the vet to locate the owners. Happily it worked out well for all the pets.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes things have a way of coming back at you in a good way.

I mentioned in the first post on this topic about offering to mow the yard for my neighbor
who had taken ill. He appreciated the gesture & his smile was all the payment I required.
Recently I noticed that his handy man trimmed his yard & also included part of my area as well.
This meant that I had less to mow.
Nice! :)

Last edited:

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
A homeless man walked up to my police cruiser asking if I knew where they were feeding homeless folks, as he hadn't eaten anything all day. The only place I knew of was somewhat far, so I drove to a nearby McDonald's, where I bought him a couple of double quarter pounder meals, along with an apple pie. This quote (below) always sticks with me (basically, you rarely get a 2nd chance to do the right thing):

I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
- ETIENNE DE GRELLET.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A homeless man walked up to my police cruiser asking if I knew where they were feeding homeless folks, as he hadn't eaten anything all day. The only place I knew of was somewhat far, so I drove to a nearby McDonald's, where I bought him a couple of double quarter pounder meals, along with an apple pie. This quote (below) always sticks with me (basically, you rarely get a 2nd chance to do the right thing):

I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
- ETIENNE DE GRELLET.

I love the quote by De Grellet.
I noticed that the previous post before
yours was by me from 2 years ago.
This morning I noticed that my yard needed trimming again.
The weather is nice after the rain a couple of days ago so I
will mow my yard and also my neighbors.
He passed away recently. I'm glad that I was able in a small way
bring a smile while he was here.

Last edited:

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
I love the quote by De Grellet.
I noticed that the previous post before
yours was by me from 2 years ago.
This morning I noticed that my yard needed trimming again.
The weather is nice after the rain a couple of days ago so I
will mow my yard and also my neighbors.
He passed away recently. I'm glad that I was able in a small way
bring a smile while he was here.
Nice! Yup, I'm a firm believer that good stuff comes back to ya...

- ETIENNE DE GRELLET.

Good man! I hope you are or have been an FTO. Hard to teach the young ones that there are more good people than the bad guys we are all trained to deal with.

Compassion was not a course of study in my academy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk