Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A huge thank you to those bringing business to South Street Hats

MattJH

One Too Many
I wanted to make a post to extend a big thank you to those who've heeded my suggestion to use South Street Hats as a more economic option for your cleans, stretches, and reblocks as well as make sure everybody else knows that they exist and are ready to serve your hats well.

I stopped in there today to drop off my Herbert Johnson for a reblock, and Oscar Pierce, the owner, enthusiastically greeted me to tell me that two people from The Fedora Lounge gave him business by phone last week. Oscar is old-school and isn't really on the Internet, so this is very new for him, and he's thrilled to obtain business from something like this. On his behalf, thank you!

Oscar is in his 38th year in the hat business, and he knows what he's doing. Please be confident that your hats will be treated professionally with very experienced hands. I can personally endorse this, as I've taken two of my most prized hats, my Adam Executive and Dobbs 20, to Oscar for a reblock / stretch / clean. Those links will show you images of the hats before and after. You're looking at spending about 10% of what you would at Optimo in Chicago. This is not meant to take any business away from Optimo (I've used them and they are just phenomenal to work with), but to present another option for what sometimes seems to be a dying trade. Because South Street hats is a six block walk from my apartment, I plan to use them exclusively from now on.

Here is the information on the location:

South Street Hats
810 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
215-829-1600

Here is a fantastic article from 2003 on Oscar and South Street Hats, discussing its relevance and impact on our community here as well as Oscar's history in Philadelphia's long and infamous hat business.

If you decide to send any business Oscar's way, be sure to tell him that you heard about his shop from The Fedora Lounge!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dumbjaw said:
You're looking at spending about 10% of what you would at Optimo in Chicago.
10% of these prices? That would mean $4.00 for cleaning and blocking; $2.00 to replace a sweatband; $2.00 for a ribbon; $1.50 for new lining; etc. If that's accurate info, sign me up!!!

MattJH

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
10% of these prices? That would mean $4.00 for cleaning and blocking; $2.00 to replace a sweatband; $2.00 for a ribbon; $1.50 for new lining; etc. If that's accurate info, sign me up!!!

How about you give Oscar a call! :)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Having been in the shop (and walked out with a beautiful homburg), I can vouch for Oscar's enthusiasm for the business and for doing right by customers. I really hope to deal with South Street Hats again. And if anyone is in the area, I recommend dropping by.

I suspect that Mr. Pierce will soon learn how much pent-up demand there is for his services.

Thanks, dumbjaw, for tipping the people here to South Street Hats, and vice-versa.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
I'm quite jealous of all the USA contingent, having this choice of where to go for re-blocking, cleaning etc.
I still haven't found anywhere in the UK that will offer those services on vintage hats... :mad: Time to emigrate lol

:eek:fftopic: Having quite a problem here finding someone to work with leather too, as my horsehide 50s A2-style jacket needs repairs. Think this island needs to resurrect its tailors and hatters... :eek:fftopic:

N. :)

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
nickn5 said:
I'm quite jealous of all the USA contingent, having this choice of where to go for re-blocking, cleaning etc.
I still haven't found anywhere in the UK that will offer those services on vintage hats... :mad: Time to emigrate lol
Hah, I haven't found anyone to do _anything_ with men's hats in Finland. All you see is a couple of shops with a few cheap black dress hats on the offing, but that's it. There's no one offering hat brushes, for example.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Wolfwood said:
Hah, I haven't found anyone to do _anything_ with men's hats in Finland. All you see is a couple of shops with a few cheap black dress hats on the offing, but that's it. There's no one offering hat brushes, for example.

There is hat shops in Helsinki like one "hattuliike Mia" in Hämeentie 44. I gave her a change with few hats and she cleaned and stretched them for my liking. She also said that she hasn't done any mens hats only for women, but if given a model she'll make one.

I think I'll give her my Fed IV for example and let her try it out. Unless it demands some drastic tearing :eek:

There is also milliners for hire that I know, don't know their experience with mens hats thou.

Sorry for :eek:fftopic: remark.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw,
My stepson goes to law school in Philly and only lives a few blocks away from South St. The next time I go to visit him I'll make it a point to go visit Oscar. I'm looking to buy a nice medium brown Borsalino.

pj

MattJH

One Too Many
Nice! I'm glad to hear this.

Oscar told me his hat size yesterday. I'm going to find something to show him thanks.

FYI...no sweatband replacement currently...

I chatted with Mr. Pierce & he currently does not have anybody that can do sweatband replacements at this time. He said he is trying to track down somebody to do so & hopefully will be able to in a couple of weeks...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
gtdean48 said:
he currently does not have anybody that can do sweatband replacements
Unfortunately, at the end of the day, that's the task that separates the men from the boys; Lots of shops do everything but.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider