Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Jacket sizing question for my fellow gentlemen

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I usually run a large in shirts. I have a 15.5" neck, and was judged by a tailor to be medium in a dress shirt, and a waist between 32 and 34 inches. My question is, I was looking at a microfiber golf/windbreaker jacket for the spring, and it looks nice and is a good price....Only problem is that it is a medium. With that sort of jacket, do you think I'd be able to pull off wearing it? I have noticed when I've worn large jackets that the sleeves are a bit on the long side and baggy for me. Do you think I could comfortably pull this jacket off with no issue?

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Problem is you can't really go by the tagged size--they're all over the place. If you can get measurements i.e. chest, shoulder to shoulder, length, pit to pit, etc that can help. Do you have a jacket that you like the fit of? You could measure it and go from there to compare. A medium could potentially fit you--is there a return policy on the jacket you're looking at?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
With your measurements, it sounds like your tailor is correct. You're a medium. You said that large jackets are long in the sleeves and baggy on you - so large is too big.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As above. You might be a large, medium, extra-large or a small. Sizes are meaningless. It's all in the measurements. I'm a medium in a Dickies, an extra large in a Baracuta, a small in a Gibson and Barnes.

Peacoat

Bartender
You gave us your neck size and your waist measurement, but you neglected to to give your chest measurement, which is what the sizes are predicated on. If your chest circumference is 38" to 40" then a medium should fit you. But as Stringmaster and See Lucas said above, tagged sizes are all over the board; however, and generally speaking, medium is considered to be a 38" to 40" chest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points