Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A letter writer's dilemma

IndieCherry

New in Town
Hello All

I was hoping I might have some help. I have in my possession a letter written from my grandfather to my grandmother when he was stationed in Germany in 1945. I would like to have this letter copied and framed as a gift to my aunts, his daughters. I am having the most awful time finding the right paper on which to copy the letter. It was written on very thin, small(5.5x8.5in), brown paper. I can't find anything like it and modern paper just won't do.

I am open to any suggestions. Thank you all so much.

~Indie

Davep

One of the Regulars
To Dylan's point, does it look similar to this?

V-Mail_Photographic_Print-2002_2013_71.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since you're going to frame the letters, and they should be exact copies of what their father wrote, you might consider having them scanned and printed. It will pick up the color of the original. You could also have them printed on canvas and gallery-wrapped since they're keepsake items.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A scan and colour print should do the trick.
Might even be able to find some thin paper to print it on.
Modern printers can print on almost anything.

Definately do the color print. A gift is best if it's timely, don't spend a million hours looking for the perfect paper. Visit the best local stationary store and or place that does invitations, if they can't find a paper to use then it's time to move on. THe other thing is a color scan and print should get the look down for a good reproduction and if it's framed, they won't be handling the paper.

In the end it's the words that were written that make the meaning. I have one copy from my dad's cousin of a letter he wrote from Camp Hale in Colorado, where he was training during WWII, it's a photocopy from a drugstore copier and I treasure it as if it were on vellum in a book.

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
Letter

No, The absolute BEST thing to do is Go on EBAY and Find OLD Army Stationary.
I have some pads of it myself that I found over the years and you can get a FULL PAD for about $10-$20.
Then, have it copied on Actual WW2 Army Stationary.
In my opinion this would be the Absolute best available option.
The paper is heavy, small just like you are describing.

I will try to find some for sale and email you the listing #'s if you would like.

Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points