Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A link to my past - Photos of dad in his hat

Flieger

Practically Family
Growing up I heard a lot about my dad wearing hats when he was younger but as far back as I can remember I never saw him in anything but his beloved Greek skipper cap. He passed away in 1987, and of course, I never thought to ask him about this while he was alive.

Fast-forward 20 years and my ever increasing interest for hats led me to raid one of those old shoe boxes filled with unsorted pictures showing people I've never met or knew. Among those I found these:

Dad_hat01.jpg

The guy to the left, wringing out his wet socks, is my dad.... and golly, he's wearing a lovely tan, thin ribbon fedora AND a leather jacket! Just the style I love so much myself! :eek:

Dad_hat02.jpg

Here's another photo from the same occation. (Must have been a wet hike)

Now, naturally I'd like to find a similar hat for myself so any pointers in that direction would be much appreaciated.

Sorry for the largish scans but I thought some of you might enjoy seeing these. In the top photo you can make out a rather gaudy tie as well. :)

Cheers

Flieger

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Photos like these are priceless. Your Dad looks so young - doesn't it make you wish you could go back in time and meet him as a young man? The fedora he's wearing doesn't look too dissimilar to an Open Road or Akubra Campdraft.

Thanks for sharing Flieger!

Flieger

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Hiking with a tie, now that's style!

lol Yeah, you don't see something like that often today.

Benny Holiday said:
Photos like these are priceless. Your Dad looks so young - doesn't it make you wish you could go back in time and meet him as a young man? The fedora he's wearing doesn't look too dissimilar to an Open Road or Akubra Campdraft.

Thanks for sharing Flieger!

He must have been 19-22 in these shots. I would have loved to meet him back then. He loved aircraft and had just come back from the Air Force where he'd worked as a mechanic on the Beechcraft 18 and the Norseman.

Thanks for the hat tips!

/F

Russ

One of the Regulars
The combination of fedora and leather jacket seemed to be popular back then. Too bad we can't do it today without people assuming we are trying to look like Indiana Jones.

Further evidence for why we refer to the 1930s and '40s as the "Golden Era," eh?
Sorry that your dad didn't live to see a ripe age (if I'm doing the arithmetic correctly, he must have been about 60 when he passed away, right?), but it's great that you have those photos. He certainly had a fine sense of style.

Flieger

Practically Family
tonyb said:
Further evidence for why we refer to the 1930s and '40s as the "Golden Era," eh?
Sorry that your dad didn't live to see a ripe age (if I'm doing the arithmetic correctly, he must have been about 60 when he passed away, right?), but it's great that you have those photos. He certainly had a fine sense of style.

Thanks Tony. Yeah, you are bang on target. He'd just turned 60 when he passed away. I'm glad to have the photos but also glad to have met some of his friends, from back before he married mom, that told me a little bit about the guy he was then... quite different from the man I knew. :eek:

/F

bolthead

Cool....

Great Stuff Flieger.
In that 2nd photo, I don't know if any of you watch the Sopranos or not, but if so...I think he's a ringer for the character of Christopher on there.
Cool pics, I envy you, I wish I had some.

Flieger

Practically Family
bolthead said:
Great Stuff Flieger.
In that 2nd photo, I don't know if any of you watch the Sopranos or not, but if so...I think he's a ringer for the character of Christopher on there.
Cool pics, I envy you, I wish I had some.

Thanks Bolthead!

I've never watched Sopranos so I had to visit IMDB... and, yes. I can see the likeness. But only in profile. :)

/F

carter

I'll Lock Up
Flieger, Thanks for sharing those photos of your Dad. My Dad served in the Army Air Corps as a mechanic during WWII and the only photos of him in a hat show him in military headgear.

Flieger

Practically Family
bncarter said:
Flieger, Thanks for sharing those photos of your Dad. My Dad served in the Army Air Corps as a mechanic during WWII and the only photos of him in a hat show him in military headgear.

Thanks, bncarter! Funny, my dad was also a aircraft mechanic...but a couple of years after WWII. Finding those pictures was what started my interest in Aviation History.

/F

AlanC

Fantastic photos! It looks like his feet would have been cold with all that snow in the background. Thanks for sharing them.

I'm hoping to dig some photos up the next time I get home to see my parents.

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks AlanC! I hope you find some photos of your own "hat history" at your parents place and I hope you feel like sharing them with us.

In the meantime, here's another one I found of my dad in a hat - It's a bit more posed then the two I posted before. I guess it was taken a couple of years later as well... say mid-late 50's.

The hat looks like a dark pork-pie but it's hard to tell the way 'ol rubberface is wearing it. :)

Dad_porkpie.jpg

/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy