Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Man's First Hat

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone.

My younger brother will be turning 18 in November. He's just started getting into vintage style...and he has put a fedora on his wish list. :eusa_clap

I wish to help him on his way. Now, my budget is tragically tight, and he's juuuussssst starting out (i.e. looking for khakis that fit and maybe a suit) so this will be his very first non-cap hat.

Now, stingies are verboten as baby bro has, frankly, a great big head and huge shoulders, so all we know is we're definitely looking for a wide brim fedora. What color is most versatile? What should I look for in the $50.00 and under range?

Thanks in advance,
Viola

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
For me, at least, brown is the most versatile color, unless your brother is into goth. Only problem is, brown spells "Indiana Jones wannabe" to many. If your brother isn't into Indiana Jones, this won't be good for him.

Maybe a medium or lighter tan? Then again, that won't go with grey or black. :( Sorry I can't be of more help!

take 'im to a hat store and have him try various styles to find out which suits him best. I wish i'd done this when i was starting out.

Then you can begin looking for vintage (big head, decent condition under $50, hmmmm) in similar styles ...

Colour is a very personal thing. I wouldn't like to comment too far down that track ...

bk

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with BK about trying on hats at stores. With $50.00 he should be able to find a great vintage hat in any color he wishes.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Man's first hat? Tight budget? And he's Jewish, right? So, how about one o' those -

LAY-YAM-01.jpg

(just kidding, just kidding;) )

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Kippot, he's got.:p

What's with the strings in that pic? Are they tying them on? Everyone I've ever met has been content with a bobby pin at most.

Oh fine I'll take him to a store. I was hoping to surprise him. Fiiiiine. Thanks for your help you guys.

Viola

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
It's for babies. No joke. I mean, it is a joke, but they don't mean it.

Hehehe. Tied on baby kippot. Ha.

I had a lacy one (for girls, see) with velcro in it for my bat miztvah. Silly thing. A nice hat would have been better and kept the cantor from messing with my braid as he thought was quite funny.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If he doesn't want a stingy brim and he likes vintage,
why not get him a vintage fedora with a 2 1/2 to 2 3/4" brim
in grey or brown? Look on eBay for a clean one of those
dimensions in his size and stick to these makes:

Mallory
Adam
Stetson (brown leather sweat band for vintage)
Brent
Marathon
Borsalino (make sure the lining isn't shiny and the name
is not on the bow of the hat band- that is, older than 1980)
Dobbs
Knox
Cavanagh
Wormser
Stevens
(I could go on, but that's a good start and some
generally reliable names)

You really can't go too far wrong with a wide brim fedora in
brown or grey from a good company of the old days. If you
are considering something, use the PM to ask someone who
posts a lot in the hat section what they think of a particular
auction. Don't post the auction.

Aerol

A-List Customer
important item

The single most important tool in selecting a hat is......a mirror. If it doesn't fit his head/face/shoulders it just won't work and he'll never wear it.

So make his present a field trip to a good hat store. I don't know any in Philadelphia, but Bencraft in Brooklyn is only an hour or so away. It's better to go overbudget on a hat he'll use and treasure than save a buck and waste $50.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
tell us what size he is....

I have a friend in the auction business, that brought me in two stingy brims..one was in excellent shape and the other was in good shape...

Let's say you would have money left over, if you had bought both of these...

You never know what my buddy will find...

mark the shoeshine boy

ideaguy

One Too Many
My 2 cents- his complexion, color of eyes, facial hair or not, whether he holds his head up,and looks you right in the eye,or, tends to shyness, and would hide a bit under the hat- lotsa psychological baggage attatched to clothing, and add age,need for acceptance, the current fashion, and you've got more factors than Max...I try to go for a silverbelly, or taupe, or greenish-grey-something that with the exception of the silverbelly will change with the light-he's going to be in daylight, incandescent, and flourescent lighting, all of which change colors of a hat quite a bit, so have a hat that will change with the lighting. Best advice is above-bring him to a store, well dressed, and let him have at it-reminding him that the toughest mugs and the ones that got the girl all wore REAL hats, and wearing one will instantly give him a couple years worth of worldliness...and be prepared to mention any State except Indiana- he's trying to be his own guy,yes? all that is still only 2 cents. good luck, and keep asking these guys, they're a nice enough bunch that know lots about hats & life...M

epic610

One of the Regulars
Viola...

i would just call one of the vendors on this site. Bencraft Hats is in brooklyn and you will get delivery in a day ...two at most. they are very helpful in answering the questions you pose.

plus, they will let you exchange if not fully satisfied.

good luck.

analogist

One of the Regulars
FIRST HAT

Viola,
Should you be able to make it to the Big Apple, Bencraft in Williamsburg, Brooklyn might be the ideal place to go. In addition to great service, there is an entire large wall filled with NEW old stock, closeouts, discontinued models, etc. by some top makers. All are fur felt and all are $50.00. I got some really nice older stetsons, dobbs, huckels and habigs there in a variety of colors.

It's a great neighborhood with a fantastic mix of Hasidim and hipsters and is sort of a cross between Old World Eastern Europe and Modern Rive Gauche.

It's worth the trip!

analogist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points