A Nancy Drew movie?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Jack Scorpion, May 31, 2007.

1. Jack Scorpion

Jack Scorpion One Too Many

Nancy Drew ... That's sexist. Where's my Hardy Boys movie?

2. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Starring Luke and Owen Wilson? :)

3. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

I think it will be a nice counterpart to the more fluffy girl movies there have been lately.

Boys get all the 'action' films......girls get soppy teen silly romance...

its nice as a change!

4. LolitaHaze

LolitaHaze Call Me a Cab

I am already having a bit of a peeve about this movie. Well 2 actually... everyone knows that Nancy is a blonde/strawberry blonde and is POPULAR... not the nerdy brunette they seem to be portraying her as. :rage: *shakes fist in the air*

5. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

But I would rather have a Trixie Belden movie.....

6. Polka Dot

Polka Dot A-List Customer

Yes, it's "titian," as Carolyn Keene never lets us forget.

I took a look at some of the stills from the movie; Ned looks kind of dorky too, when he's supposed to be the All-American guy.

On the plus side, though, Carson Drew is wearing a fedora!

7. MissHuff

MissHuff A-List Customer

I loved reading Nancy Drew as a young'n and unfortunately hollywood has to go and change things around as they like to do for more dramatic effect. Nancy has to be nerdy so that she can blossom into this amazing heroine in the end. Damn Hollywood's obsession with the underdog.

8. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

They did the same thing in the film version of the Secret Garden (1993). Mary Lennox was a golden blonde, (Dickon was supposta be a red head) but in truth I could see no other girl cast for it. She was great.

I saw the trailer for the new ND film. It looks witty and smart, a rarity in pre teen flicks. Let em have it until the movie comes out, then we can shake fists :)

LD

9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

But will it be as good as the Warner Bros. Nancy Drew B-pics of the late thirties? Bonita Granville will always be Nancy to me!

10. Viola

Viola Call Me a Cab

You know who would have been PERFECT a couple years a go? Reese Witherspoon. Can't you just see her in one of those cute little flip hairdos the old editions all showed?

I loved the old editions when I was younger. Nancy had a GUN in one, her dad gave it to her for protection! :eek: :D

Of course, I think Joe Hardy was my very first literary crush, when I was seven.

-Viola

11. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

12. Vornholt

Vornholt One of the Regulars

The actress playing Nancy doesn't look or act nearly as old as the character is in the novels. They're going for trendy like that unfortunate Disney (I think?) version on TV a couple of years ago.

13. Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss_Bella_Hell My Mail is Forwarded Here

14. Viola

Viola Call Me a Cab

That look is still pretty preppy.

But brunette...do they think we can't believe in a blond detective?

-Viola

15. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

16. Polka Dot

Polka Dot A-List Customer

17. JazzBaby

JazzBaby Practically Family

Maybe it's just me...?

:eek:fftopic: Wonder if there's any chance of the Famous Five making a comeback?

Is this ND movie based on one of the actual stories, or is it a new concept - because I expect high tension and convenient plot-holes! ("Luckily, Nancy had just taken a course in Olde English and was able to translate the secret note..."lol )

18. LolitaHaze

LolitaHaze Call Me a Cab

Neeserie... I have yet to read those books. I am still working on my Drew collection.

Polka Dot... Hehehe yes! Titan! Also... Carson Drew... I have a bit of a crush on that character... and I can't figure out why! LOL I believe I picture him differently than he is described. LOL

Miss Huff... Yeah... but there are plenty of those "ugly ducklings" stories out there if you will... I'd just like it if they got this one right. LOL

LD... I agree, it looks like a fun flick and I will be seeing it for sure... just the anal bug in me is going to come out screaming! hahahahaha

Lizzie... I have only seen the Reporter. I want to get my hands on the other Bonita Nancy movies. On a side note... a pal of mine said he thought I looked like Bonita. I think he was just being nice because he knows my love of Nancy drew! Hahahaha

Viola... I can see Reese playing Nancy, but I think she would have played her a bit too bubbley... I think someone with a cooler tone in her voice would be better. :) I myself, perfer the blonde detective, but I am bias. :)

Story... All I think about now when I see the name Pamela Sue Martin is that episode of That 70's Show when Eric goes to the library to get the issue of Playboy she was in. LOL

Vornholt... I agree with you. I picture someone with a slightly deeper voice and a cool demeaner.

Miss Hell Belle... The cut and colors of that dress in the promo is a bit too Daphne for me. All I see is Daphne! I believe in the reissued books of the 50's and 60's some of the drawing show her in skirts that short.

19. Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss_Bella_Hell My Mail is Forwarded Here

Maybe it's just that she's lanky...the skirt doesn't really look short in general, just on her. Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety.

20. LolitaHaze

LolitaHaze Call Me a Cab

Admitting is the first step. lol I'm right there with you. These dang kids and their hippy hair and short skirts! I swear I am like the 80 year old woman in my apt building. hahahahahaha lol