Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question on posting

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I know we're not supposed to post links to active ebay sales that aren't our own, but what about other sales? If we see a hat sale about which we think other FL members might like to know, are we allowed to post that information?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The forum rule is that no active ebay auctions may be linked other than ones being offered by the poster himself.

If you are speaking about a fixed price sale offered by a store somewhere then that is certainly allowed. For example, last year there was a sale of Akubra hats at the Outback store. The link was posted and a lot of us bought hats there.

Of course, if it's a steal on a 7 3/8 the rule is to PM me about it and never speak of it to anyone else. :whistling

RBH

Bartender
Spats McGee said:
Well, phoo. I don't know who'd be interested in it.

Anyway, thanks for the information.
Yes you will.:D
The longer you visit the Lounge, the more you will learn what 'kind' and 'style' hats the other members like.
I PM others fairly often when I see a hat I 'think' they will like.

But thats not 7 38s its 7 12 and its me you contact not Alan.:D

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
Posting Sales

Am I understanding correctly that one cannot post info about "Joes Hat Shop" that has a sale going on. I know that auctions are not to be posted unless they are yours, but what about the posts I see about VHS and Jaxon, or Noggintops and the many other sources for hats. I'm not trying to ignore the Vendors and Sponsors here, but I welcome discounts and clearance prices.

Still quite new here and don't want to do the wrong thing.

Ralph

Vintage Betty

And such a fine, caring gentleman would never forget the ladies!

I wear 1940 and earlier hats such as toppers or in a size 22. :)

Vintage Betty

AlanC

Lon Goval said:
Am I understanding correctly that one cannot post info about "Joes Hat Shop" that has a sale going on.

It is my understanding that you certainly can post such links, so long as you are not "Joe".

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lon Goval said:
Am I understanding correctly that one cannot post info about "Joes Hat Shop" that has a sale going on. I know that auctions are not to be posted unless they are yours, but what about the posts I see about VHS and Jaxon, or Noggintops and the many other sources for hats. I'm not trying to ignore the Vendors and Sponsors here, but I welcome discounts and clearance prices.

Still quite new here and don't want to do the wrong thing.

Ralph

You are more then welcome to share when a -store- is having a sale.

This thread explains -why- the ebay rule is in place. an excerpt:

The Fedora Lounge has grown large enough to represent a force in the relatively small market in which we all collect and trade. Remember that for every member online at any given time, there are always at least that many viewers lurking, reading, learning, then going off to eBay to search and bid. We have probably kicked the price of vintage fedoras 200 - 300% over the last couple of years. Same goes for suits, leathers, spectators, neckties, peep-toe shoes, crush caps, dresses...

Which is fine. That's how the market works. Supply & Demand and all that.

But we members talked about and debated and all agreed (not just bartenders, and not just as a handed-down policy from the Powers), that we would no longer permit the posting of links to live eBay auctions, because it just served to drive up the final price of an item that interested parties were already aware of.
Once an auction closes, if you feel the item may be of interest to others here, by all means please post it! But you must wait until the auction ends.

So as you can see...a store having a sale would have -more then one- item at that price and sharing would not drive that price up....

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Well, RBH, thanks for the help, but since AlanC's name has "Bartender" under it, I'm going with his information. To be honest, I don't even know if it's a good price or not, and I may well embarrass myself by posting it. I remembered that the reasoning behind the "no active ebay auctions" rule was that we don't want to run up the prices on vintage items. This, however, is a fixed-price sale.

Hats Plus is having a sale on Stetson Roadmasters.

AlanC, sorry, but if there's a steal on a size 7 3/8, I ain't tellin nobody! :p

Edit: Cross-posted. Didn't mean to overlook anybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112