Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A short guide to Luftwaffe flight jackets

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
great compilation for those of us who like the design, if not the cause they served.

with the so-called 'eastman' jacket (for their superb recreation) being my favorite icon of leather jacket-dom, a second favorite would need to be that white shearling. good stuff and accompanying history.

Stand By

One Too Many
Such a good thread! It's so good when a previously-missed thread (as this was to me) reappears on the radar, so to speak. I knew there was much variety in the ranks of the Luftwaffe, but it's great to see it like this.
Well done Metatron!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The jacket above (post #24) looks to me a helluva lot more sophisticated in terms of design, construction, and features than any of the RAF or USAAF jackets.

AdeeC

Practically Family
You forgot to add, while you are loosing and have scarce resources!
I read that Hermann Goring was furious with the German aircraft industry after the De Haviland Mosquito's first appeared over Berlin. Could not believe they were made in piano and furniture factories using non strategic materials like wood, glue and cloth. Was frustrated that no hi tech German fighter could get near them. And that their most advanced designs in waiting were still bedevilled with complicated development and performance problems which kept them out of the action till near the end. Quoted as saying he knew the war was lost when he first saw Mosquito's over Berlin. When they learnt their lessons it was too late.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran