Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Stupid Stetson Question

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
I did a quick search, but couldn't find my answer so I thought I'd ask it outright. Though I have worn hats for a long time, I am really a novice when it comes to hat expertise. I have in recent months purchased several hats, including a number of Stetsons. I cannot figure out, for lack of a better term, the quality standards of these hats. For example, what is the difference between Royal Stetson, Stetson Royal DeLuxe, Sovereign and the other designations? Have these varied over time?

FOr some of the other brands, they use to use the dollar of cost and as it got higher the quality did too. This then begs the question is the quality of a 1930 $20 the sme as say a 1940 $20 level hat or did inflation move the dollar points relative to the quality.

Then there is the whole cowboy hat X's thing where more XXXXXXXXX"s meant a better hat, BUT the quality level of xxx's was not consistant amongst the different manufacturers.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Getting your hands on the felt and feeling the differences is important in understanding and appreciating felt quality.

I agree! I would also add that different characteristics don't always point up a difference in quality. While some characteristics are indicia of quality pure and simple, others are better viewed as a matter of taste or related to design and function. So too with price. Just because something costs more (now or in the past) does not necessarily mean that it's better than something less expensive. Another complicating factor is that (even among those who can appreciate quality) not everyone likes the same thing.

Feraud

Bartender
Oh absolutely zetwal!
Particular characteristics, price, and authoritative subjectivity do not necessarily* make quality.

*At the same time we have to allow certain markers to indicate quality if we are to have a yardstick to measure by.

This talk of quality can be so confusing... lol

I'll throw this into the mix...I have a Royal Stetson Open Road made in Canada that is a totally different felt "feel" than a Royal Stetson made in USA of about the same period. The Canadian has more heft to it, almost like a 3X US OR that I have....[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto