Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Suit To Make Anyone Proud

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
The one bid on this suit (so far) has been made by the man whose catering company is leasing the Oviatt building's penthouse and rooftop. He's the only serious collector out there of vintage Oviatt's merchandise, and he rarely loses. (In fact, he is often the only bidder.)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The Belt and Hip Construction Patent was issued July 5th, 1938 to James Oviatt, inventor.

i don't doubt it but the label looks like a modern woven acetate one (and its also been badly stitched on).
i'm not stating this is therefore a modern suit; just throwing those observations out there.
the rest of the suit is too badly photographed to get a good idea of the style details.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It may be rare - it may be by a respected and much collected manufacturer - but it does nothing for me. I think it is far less exciting than most of the suits that the 'Holy Grail' label gets attached to.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I think it is far less exciting than most of the suits that the 'Holy Grail' label gets attached to.

agreed. i don't think it warrants 'Holy Grail' status just because it's an Oviatt's label suit. 'Holy Grail' is usually reserved for suits that have outstanding and/or rare features. personally i don't care if a suit is Oviatt's, Hart Schaffner & Marx, Burtons or completely anonymous; what matters is... is it an interesting suit ?

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
why has the Oviatt's label been x-stitched so badly ? an amateur's repair job ?

also, the label that says 'belt and hip construction' looks modern.

just observations.

Good questions. The Oviatt's label has been restitched at some point. It does look like an amateur's job. The original stitching would have looked like this:

IMG_1680_zpsd1de363d.jpg

The 'belt and hip construction' label is not modern; it first appeared on Oviatt trousers in 1938. (The lettering is a Deco variation.) Below is a page of the patent application:

_OVI_ATT_TROUSERS_F-1_zpsa10e6a9a.jpg

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
It may be rare - it may be by a respected and much collected manufacturer - but it does nothing for me. I think it is far less exciting than most of the suits that the 'Holy Grail' label gets attached to.

The manufacturer is respected, but not much collected.

Good that it does nothing for you. You won't be tempted to bid for it, and will be able to save your money for things that you like.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
so Paul do you think it's an interesting suit aside from it being labelled Oviatt's ?

In some ways, yes. It's 100% east Indian cashmere; when was the last time you saw a 3-pc. suit of this vintage in pure cashmere? It's got some fun pick-stitching here and there. The pinstripes have been nicely aligned where the collar and lapels meet. The built-in belt on the trousers is definitely fun: James Oviatt was the first to make men's trousers with same-fabric, built-in belts ... a style that was soon widely (though not exactly) imitated, especially for golf trousers.

YETI

A-List Customer
In some ways, yes. It's 100% east Indian cashmere; when was the last time you saw a 3-pc. suit of this vintage in pure cashmere? It's got some fun pick-stitching here and there. The pinstripes have been nicely aligned where the collar and lapels meet. The built-in belt on the trousers is definitely fun: James Oviatt was the first to make men's trousers with same-fabric, built-in belts ... a style that was soon widely (though not exactly) imitated, especially for golf trousers.
Paul, If one were to have this suit replicated to the very last stitch(sloppy x stitching and all), what would a rough estimate be in cost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points