Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Vintage Recording Studio

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Right now I'm in the process of researching what a vintage recording studio of the 1940's looked like and what type of things it consisted of. Are there any loungers who are familar with recording of that age? Not just the microphones, but the entire setup of a small recording room/studio. The kind a band or singer would record in, if that is the way they recorded. I imagine they might have done it in a large room, since they recorded with a band, and needed that extra space. What one looked like would be a big help.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Red Skelton's Whistling in the Dark, Whistling in Dixie and Whistling in Brooklyn all at least started off in a radio studio, and they were actually filmed in the early 40's. Haunted Honeymoon begins in a 40's radio studio during a broadcast but filmed in the late 80's. I know there were other films set in radio studios of that era.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you can track down any edition of a book called "Radio Engineering Handbook," by Keith Henney, you'll find some detailed discussions of recording studio practice during the Era -- including specific diagrams on how to lay out the microphones for the proper recording of various groups! It's a pretty common book, so have a look in the technical section of your favorite second-hand bookshop. You can also find it easily, and cheaply, thru Bookfinder.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I've seen original RCA tech manuals for the 44BX and 77DX ribbon mics, posted online in .pdf form. These included diagrams for settiing up singer with piano, dance band, and orchestra. I remember with the 44, at least in its early version, everybody had to be at least 2 feet from the mic at all times!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
What about a radio broadcast? I've seen one or two films that showed in color a room they did it in, but I can't remember which films. I did see a play in Pasadena that had a pretty good setup, Other than that, I can't say I know of any others.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Here's the vision I'm looking for.

A small town recording studio/radio station.

Probably about 10 rooms, 3 for recording, 2 for "live", and Dj'ing, and 5 offices, a small cafe attached that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a hallway that leads to each of the rooms. And two restrooms.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Basically, the setup for recording would have been the same as for radio broadcasting. The equipment is available, but it's pretty pricey. You're probably looking at anywhere from $500 to $1,500 for an RCA 44-series mic alone. You can save a bit by using a 74. It uses the same ribbon technology as the 44 and 77, but in a smaller and less robust package. You might also want to look at some of the lesser brands (Electro-Voice was popular) to save on startup costs.

You will need something to plug your mic(s) into. The most popular mixing console from the late 30s to the early 50s was the RCA 76 series. This is what was used in Sun Studios, for example. They were usually mono (though I think the 76D may have been capable of stereo) with 6 inputs. EQ was not generally used. To get one in useable shape, expect to spend about $3-4K. Unfortunately, many of the old RCA boards have been gutted by idiots who wanted only the tube pre-amps (which are legendary for their sound). They're getting pretty hard to find. You may find a post-war tube console from Collins, Gates, Raytheon, etc., for $500-$1,000.

Next, you will need at least one turntable (RCA 70-series, of course), with a lathe attachment to cut your records. Blank disks are readily available, strangely enough. In working condition, it'll probably set you back about $700.

Finally, you will want a tube pre-amp and studio monitor amp. I don't remember the series for either of these, but as you may have guessed, RCA is your best bet here as well. They come up on ebay from time to time. You'll also need at least one studio monitor speaker. I've seen these on ebay too.

There are quite a few books available from the period that go into this stuff (more on the radio than the recording side). If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you some titles. Hope this helps.

The real Henry

Practically Family
When I think of the studio in the 1930s the recording scene in "Oh brother where art, thou?" is the first thing that comes to my mind. That might be some inspiration!?

Regards,
Henrik

Recording

i think that there was some explanation as to recording techniques in one of the Beau Hunks CD's. I would guess that it would depend on how vintage you wanted to go. Some of the muscians supply places, like Musicians Friend have some mikes that look like reproduction retro microphones. Also in the film "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" there is a scene of the depression era recording studio as they actually CUT the record from the performance. This predates using tape recording to mix and overlay tracks for an album.

Take a peek here at some of the mikes, some continue with early designs.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/navigation/live-sound-microphones?N=100001+304601

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The recording lathe setup shown in O Brother gives a very good look at the process of cutting an instantaneous recording in the '30s -- although it's highly unlikely a radio station out in the boonies like that one would have had such equipment at that particular point in time. (But given the poetic license in that lovely motion picture, I think we can overlook that point!!!)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
i think that there was some explanation as to recording techniques in one of the Beau Hunks CD's.
The BH actually went a little more purist than they often did back in the day, when they might mix 2 or 3 mics into one mono signal. The BH used one for everything. The CD was Fingerbustin', featuring their saxophone soloist Roland Heitmaijer.

One of the great fortuitous discoveries in record collecting happened ±25 years ago when it was discovered that RCA Victor had used redundant systems on several sessions in 1932 - two mics, placed some distance apart, with separate amp circuits and cutting tables. (The reason might have been to field-test the brand new Model 44 ribbon mic.)

All this was discovered when separate but identical-sounding takes from the same Duke Ellington date were mixed together. The result - unintended and all but undreamt of in 1932 - was stereo.

koopkooper

Practically Family
there was a guy in england not so long ago who collected lots of vintage recording equipment from the BBC and set up his own label for retro bands who wanted that "origional sound". I believe he also bought an old BBC van that had been used for outside broadcasts so as to be able to make his businessm mobile.
I heard the people at the BBC were amazed he wanted their old junk.
Pretty sure he works mostly with Rockabilly bands.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
koopkooper said:
there was a guy in england not so long ago who collected lots of vintage recording equipment from the BBC and set up his own label for retro bands who wanted that "origional sound". I believe he also bought an old BBC van that had been used for outside broadcasts so as to be able to make his businessm mobile.
I heard the people at the BBC were amazed he wanted their old junk.
Pretty sure he works mostly with Rockabilly bands.

If I were BBC, I'd be surprised too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko