Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A visit to Art's Hat Shop by Jed I. Knight

Jed I. Knight

New in Town
Thanks for posting this... a long time ago <insert galaxy far away joke here>. As I mentioned on a previous thread, I just recently joined this forum to respond to some of the comments and questions on my latest visit to Art’s shop.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I really enjoyed both your video's, and appreciate your allowing me to share. It is fascinating to see the full process of a fedora hat being made. Until someone actually "sees" what goes into making a felt hat, they won't have full appreciation of the artistry, time, and work involved.

I have enjoyed a trip to Chicago and spent a weekend at Optimo, watching Graham making hats. Mind you, this was almost 14 (maybe +/-) years ago. I also spent many, many hours for years...visiting and learning...when Art's shop was in California (and back when he was doing vintage clothing primarily).

Been here, on the Lounge for 15 or so years, and I have too many hats in my collection, plus assorted hat tools, etc. Many of my hats are vintage, quite a lot are Optimo, and perhaps 10 from VS Hats. I don't remember how many "vintage" were restored by Art, but there were many.

I am glad to see that you were able to get a few custom VS hats...and now the clock it ticking..and I have a prediction:
THEY WILL ALL GO UP IN VALUE!

Jed I. Knight

New in Town
I really enjoyed both your video's, and appreciate your allowing me to share. It is fascinating to see the full process of a fedora hat being made. Until someone actually "sees" what goes into making a felt hat, they won't have full appreciation of the artistry, time, and work involved.

I have enjoyed a trip to Chicago and spent a weekend at Optimo, watching Graham making hats. Mind you, this was almost 14 (maybe +/-) years ago. I also spent many, many hours for years...visiting and learning...when Art's shop was in California (and back when he was doing vintage clothing primarily).

Been here, on the Lounge for 15 or so years, and I have too many hats in my collection, plus assorted hat tools, etc. Many of my hats are vintage, quite a lot are Optimo, and perhaps 10 from VS Hats. I don't remember how many "vintage" were restored by Art, but there were many.

I am glad to see that you were able to get a few custom VS hats...and now the clock it ticking..and I have a prediction:
THEY WILL ALL GO UP IN VALUE!

I’m glad you enjoyed them!
I started visiting with Art when I discovered his first shop just a few blocks from my house! I was on a walk, stopped in and left with 2 or 3 vintage hats I found in his shop. It took me years to figure out what I wanted to have him custom made. I started with the Brown Derby/Bowler, then a Panama, then the Fedora from the video. I know have a Black Cherry Bowler/Derby on order. I’m going to try for at least one more after that, before Art retires.
And, yeah, they are bound to go up in value!

Thanks for joining the group. I'm sure you will be most welcomed!
Thanks! I feel that way already! I’ve learned a lot just stalking for quit some time. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch