A west coast destination closes its doors: Byrnie Utz

Discussion in 'Hats' started by bluesforchallah, Jul 27, 2018.

1. bluesforchallah

bluesforchallah Practically Family

2. Redfokker

Redfokker

I'm making my pilgrimage next Saturday. I'll take some farewell images. Shed a tear. And maybe bring home a couple of hats.

Mustang Mike's Hats likes this.
  3. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

I’ll be there at least one last time. I wish I had visited them more often, although I know that wouldn’t have stopped the forces of business and “growth “ that are now forcing them to close.

If it was at all realistic, I would love to buy the store and keep it going.

4. Scuttle

Scuttle One of the Regulars

Original post regarding the Bernie Utz closing, with more details:

A Sad Day

Specifically:
    ~ S.

5. ScionPI2005

I was there close to a month ago, and spoke to the owner. It sounds as though the new owner of the building is flat out refusing to renew the lease. This leads me to believe they envision having something else other than a hat store in the building, which I can only assume they believe would be more lucrative in our world today.

It sounds like they actually had three parties interested in buying the store. The main issue the owner said, was having to relocate the store to another location. That complication is part of the reason at least two of the potential buyers backed out.

Sadly, I fear this is the end of an era for Seattle. Another win for big business. I'm sure Byrnie Utz's space in the building will probably be replaced by another Starbucks, or some other mainstream business.

Jhoff_1979 and Redfokker like this.
  6. Redfokker

Redfokker

:( I have a early 1950s homburg that came from this store, back in the day.

7. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

That's the story I heard as well. The building owner is looking to get something in that space that's more "upscale", so to speak.

8. Redfokker

Redfokker

I wish I could go back and spend a whole day, only had 45 minutes. Spent much of the time listening to the shop owner Paul Ferry tell the story of the demise of a Seattle icon. He also told stories of Byrnie Utz and "old man" Hardeman (Hardeman Hats were a local Seattle manufacturer) which I enjoyed greatly. Here are some images of the oldest continuous running business in downtown Seattle, opened in 1934.

4Aug18 Knox Byrnie Utz 450x.jpg 4Aug18 Byrnie Utz store front street 450x.jpg 4Aug18 Byrnie Utz front door 450x.jpg 4Aug18 Byrnie Utz sign 400x.jpg 4Aug18 Knox Byrnie Utz Borsalino 450x.jpg

RBH, psklenar, ScionPI2005 and 6 others like this.
  9. Redfokker

Redfokker

Here are some images of the interior of the store and the owner Paul Ferry. He said there are a couple of offers to buy the business, but alas, it will be moving to a large mall in North Seattle. The rows of Stetson boxes are from the 1865-1965 Centennial of Stetson. There is a chance they will be offered to us here on the lounge. Paul took my information and will be in touch. A chance to own some hat store history.

4Aug18 Byrnie Utz Bailey Straws 450x.jpg 4Aug18 Byrnie Utz owner 450x.jpg 4Aug18 Byrnie Utz Store Interior 450x.jpg 4Aug18 Byrnie Utz hat boxes 450x.jpg 4Aug18 Byrnie Utz Store Steamer 450x.jpg 4Aug18 Byrnie Utz front windows 450x.jpg

RBH, psklenar, ScionPI2005 and 9 others like this.
  10. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

Are you really wearing a fanny pack?

11. Thanks for sharing the pics Mike! Why would I not be surprised to see these built-ins lining the bedroom of a dentist in Mexico?

12. He has to have somewhere to put his hats...

13. Redfokker

Redfokker

Yes, unfortunately I am. I recently saw a news story that "Dad Chique" is the new thing in fashion. That included fanny packs. I feel vindicated.

14. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

Not sure how else to say this but...there is a lot of weirdo things going on out west there......sadly it affects many people....

psklenar, Jhoff_1979 and Redfokker like this.
  15. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

Unless you're keeping a 9MM in that thing, I have to say pass ...

Redfokker and deadlyhandsome like this.
  16. ScionPI2005

Thanks for sharing those pics! I bought my last hat from Byrnie Utz last week (Borsalino stingy brim) which will gain head time as the weather turns cooler. Hopefully someone will be able to reopen the store. Such a loss....

Redfokker likes this.
  17. psklenar

psklenar One of the Regulars

Dang. Closing in September and I've just been approved for a trip out there in November. :(

pat----

18. I’m curious about those Stetson boxes. I’d like to have six or so of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlee562 likes this.
  19. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Same!

20. I’d love to be there! Too far away dang it.

At first I thought these were photos of @drmaxtejeda loading up his latest acquisitions from the Texas “hub” on their way south of the border.

Frunobulax and TheOldFashioned like this.