Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 Advice

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I'm interested in an A2, but to my untrained eye, they all seem to be the same :D

I asked John at Goodwear for a suggestion for a A2. In terms of size, I'm 5'10, 160 lbs and I would like a trim fitting jacket. John suggested the Dubow, Werber, Perry, or Aero.

For you A2 experts out there, any recommendations and/or suggestions?

Thanks!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think John's advice is spot on. All the contracts he mentioned are fairly trim fitting ones. Have a good look at all the pics of customers wearing his jackets as they will give you a good idea about the fit of each contract. If you want to learn more about the different contracts follow this link:-

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, but according to posts over at VLJ (and the Good Wear site itself), John is so backed up that he's not accepting any new orders. So a Good Wear may not be a possible choice at the moment.

As it happens, I myself am finally ready to pull the trigger on a Good Wear - I just sold my US Authentic A-2 to help finance it... But I've written to John twice in the last month, and haven't gotten a reply.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I'm already in line at Goodwear. Originally, I was going to go with the Buco J-100 repro, but my wife said I have too many motorcycle jackets!

767fo

One of the Regulars
If you are interested in goatskin John's Doniger is a fantastic contract. Trim in the waist but very comfortable in the chest and shoulders. It is one of my favorite jackets from him. Good luck with your choice.

CBI

One Too Many
John is not taking new orders right now. I have been told the current wait is 6 months. So, looks like some notable waiting time is in order. If you are a 40R or 42R????? you might want to keep looking on eBay as perhaps a used Good Wear, Eastman or McCoys might pop up, these wou;d be the next pump up from US Authentic. If you have saved for GW, you might also find a decent original for the same price. If you are really set on a Good Wear, then wait it out, its worth it!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I'm going to wait it out. I need a large custom size that I'll never find in an original. (Around a 48 with added room at the waist and a couple of inches off the sleeves.) I'm not interested in going the eBay route for a used repro. In the meantime, I've got a couple of very serviceable G&B jackets to get me through...

Norsksea

New in Town
Hi
I am 6'4' 44 chest and 38 waist I need longer jacket too. I found these on ebay.
A nice older US made goat skin A2 LL Bean jacket size 42 long that is a nice trim fit on me for spring and summer and a US made 44 long A2 LL Bean jacket with a wool fleece liner and mouton collar trim fitting for winter use.
The newer LL Bean 44 long with a wool fleece liner and mouton collar made in Turkey. It is longer in the waist and sleeves and fits my younger son that is 6'6".
Frank

CBI

One Too Many
I don't know why I had some idea of a size in mind but waiting for GW is the smart thing to do!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
HighAndDry, this waiting time is a great chance to educate yourself. You won't want to buy a jacket (for a substantial chunk of change) and then think, "I wish I had...."

I'd suggest you read until they no longer all look the same.

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
GW - worth the wait. Dubow or Perry are nice choices, though I do llike the more spearpoint look to the Dubow collar. Good Luck.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
As I've recently posted elsewhere, the Perry is a terrific all round contract: wearable pattern, comfortable and neat looking - I particularly like the pocket flaps and rounded collar points. I've also had a GW Doniger and found that equally comfortable - wide biceps, comfortable torso and reasonably long in the body (for an A-2 at least).
Could I throw a pebble in the pond and suggest an A-1 as well - all the appeal of an A-2, but trim, more stylish and full of character...

HighandDry

A-List Customer
After looking at the jackets, I'm thinking of John's Aero design- the Acme 18775.

I really like the look of the OD green thread and Aero red knits.

GoodWearLeather42-18775-PTypeA-2JacketFrontView.jpg

What do you guys think?

767fo

One of the Regulars
I am lucky to have a number of John's contracts and the Aero is a great one. It is a little shorter in the body but comfortable in the chest and shoulders. If I had to pick one over the others it would be the 39 Werber. It is trim in the waist and very comfortable in the chest, arms ,and upper back. I think it has the classic WII look.

Werber2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
After looking at the jackets, I'm thinking of John's Aero design- the Acme 18775.

I really like the look of the OD green thread and Aero red knits.

GoodWearLeather42-18775-PTypeA-2JacketFrontView.jpg

What do you guys think?

Cracking jacket. This is the one I would love to have. I was about ready to pull the trigger when the pound took a nosedive against the dollar and took prices out of my reach. One day, though, I will.

CBI

One Too Many
767fo - I have seen your photos on John's site. Are you in the process of collecting ALL of the contracts? I have owned 14 Good Wears but many of mine were from his early years. I agree totally: 39 Werber (I own one) followed by the Aero (I own one). My 2 fave contracts. The Dubow 20960 is another winner as I feel it has a contemporary cut that works as a repro clone as well as a nice jacket in general. I am down to owning 2 Good Wears now as having too many (for me) means I can't break them in. Of course that's owning some other jackets as well. Good Wear is the top option even with the extreme attention to detail, its the nicest leather and craftsmanship available IMHO.

767fo

One of the Regulars
767fo - I have seen your photos on John's site. Are you in the process of collecting ALL of the contracts? I have owned 14 Good Wears but many of mine were from his early years. I agree totally: 39 Werber (I own one) followed by the Aero (I own one). My 2 fave contracts. The Dubow 20960 is another winner as I feel it has a contemporary cut that works as a repro clone as well as a nice jacket in general. I am down to owning 2 Good Wears now as having too many (for me) means I can't break them in. Of course that's owning some other jackets as well. Good Wear is the top option even with the extreme attention to detail, its the nicest leather and craftsmanship available IMHO.

Hi CBI,

Ever since John sent me a goatskin Perry to try on I have been hooked. I will not be able to buy all of the contracts but I am getting close:) Besides John just being a great guy to do business with each of his contracts are different animals. No two contracts are the same and that is where the fun lies. I could not agree with you more about the 20960. That was one of the first jackets I bought from him and it was outstanding. He built it for his site and due to my short arms I had to let it go. I have one in seal on order with him now. The collar, epaulets, and pocket flaps are very nice. I saw your pics of the seal 39 Werber, John really out did himself on it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana