Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 leather hanging strip enquiry

schitzo

Suspended
I've decided to try out an Aerial Star vintage A2 with slash pockets, aka model 7303. This one:

http://aerialstar.com/leather-jacket-model-7303.htm

The order is in. They've asked do I want it with or without an A2 leather hanger strip. I wasn't expecting this dilemma, all I know is I like the look of their jacket!

So I'm wondering do any of you have a leaning either way, and if so for what reason?

Any and all input appreciated, thanks for your time

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hey, nice one. Will be good to see a review. Their jackets look awesome.
Regs the hanging strip, 'classically' they are part & parcel of most jackets, their actual practicality being debatable... so if you want 'classic' authenticity...
But then Aerial Star isn't trying to be 'authentic'... Personally I never use them, so would leave it off. One less thing to wear&tear at some point (not that it ever will)... Just my opinion.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's like the hanging chain on an Irvin - looks the part, but would never ever use it. I guess the difficulty is that if you hand it to somebody in the hairdresser's or a restaurant, they might be tempted to use it. [huh]

Cooperson

One Too Many
+1 I would never dream of hanging a leather jacket on a hook, so why bother. Show us some pics when you get it, I've never owned an A-2 style jacket but it's always been on the wish list.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I guess I buck the trend here and use mine all the time ( when you travel on planes you need a hanging strip otherwise it's difficult to hang something as heavy as a leather jacket ) ... never had one let go either ( although I don't use the ANJ-4 one as the jacket is seriously heavy and the chain looks so flimsey )

If possible I would always use a hanger ... but find the hanging strip very useful :)

devilish

A-List Customer
As a general rule I don't use them but have from time to time at friends houses on coat hooks and also if I take off my jacket while walking around I'll hook a couple fingers through it and sling it over a shoulder. Never had one give out or cause any damage to the area of the jacket it's attached to. I would include it if in your position.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Since the A-2 with slash pockets is nowhere close to the original WW II version of the A-2, I would tend to order without the leather hanger strip.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like that model too and am tempted. I don't normally like knits but the simplicity of this jacket speaks to me. I'd leave out the hanger myself as I have never needed to use one. If I got one I'd leave out the epaulets too since I don't like the look of epaulets on non military garments.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice choice. It's a lot like Aero's Happy Days jacket, which I've always liked, but for quite a bit less. Cheers. BTW, the guys are right: the hanger's pointless.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I never hang any of my leather jackets by the strips or chains attached inside.
I would be horrified if someone tried to hang one of my jackets by them, and live in constant fear that restaurant staff will ignore my instruction to just throw my jacket over the back of a chair (N.B. not 'hang my jacket over the back of a chair').
In fact, the only reason I don't specify that these near useless hanging strips and chains should be deleted from my order is to ensure that my repro jackets show the correct stitching on the outside.

schitzo

Suspended
Maybe we should take a poll? :D

I had that thought as I was posting the thread, but couldn't see how to start one, which settled it. It's also good to hear the reasons behind peoples point of view. That said, if you have the know how Fanch, and wouldn't mind starting one, then please do

Edward

Bartender
I can't imagine using one would be all that likely to damage the jacket, short of somebody swinging on it - bearing in mind that it's stitched right through the hide shell rather than attached only to the lining.That said, if you don't want it on there, given the mind-boggling variety of quasi-flying jackets that were available on the civilian market in the late Forties / early Fifties you're certainly not compromising originality - I'm sure there ere examples with all sorts of hangers, and none. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos; if I was minded to consider another A2-ish jacket, I'd definitely be looking at one of these.

Nice choice. It's a lot like Aero's Happy Days jacket, which I've always liked, but for quite a bit less.

Sort of... but while I've not compared the two side by side, I suspect the Aeriel Star will be a somewhat slimmer fit. Bear in mind that it is essentially a modified A2, whereas the Happy Days isbased on civilian jackets of the mid fifties, im particular a type which did tend to be a more generous fit. (I have a theory that this is because by that time the flying jacket they were aping, albeit still in leather, was the B15, but that's conjecture based on having looked at a lot of jackets rather than anything else.)

D

Deleted member 16736

Since the A-2 with slash pockets is nowhere close to the original WW II version of the A-2, I would tend to order without the leather hanger strip.

Ditto. Civilian jackets (and this is one) didn't have a leather hanger, at least none I've seen. It might've had a leather loop stitched between the shell and the lining, but those ripped off rather easily.

schitzo

Suspended
Update on the order. Apparently the pattern for this model (7303) is being tweaked, and the result of these tweaks will be a standardised version. In other words, they're contemplating whether or not it should come as standard with or without a hanger loop. Reading through the thread it seems like a 50/50 split! I think a poll is called for.
Accordingly, would one of you kindly please start one, or failing that, tell me how to do it? I feel like a doofus asking, but I've looked more than once and just can't see where the option is!

Thanks
Schitz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points