Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About Leather Weight

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Is leather weight estimated only by thickness or is it actually weighed? I am wondering because it seems that certain leathers are listed as being heavier or equal to others in weight but are certainly lighter.

Could it be that leather is weighed before the oils and waxes are put into it? In this way, the addition of more or less oil would effect the actual weight of the leather but would not be indicated in the specifications.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for the chart, Carlos. I had seen this before but had lost it.

Most sellers of motorcycle leathers recommend a minimum of 1.4 mm for protection in the event of a go down. That equates to about 3.5 oz. I prefer the heavier 4 oz. leathers (1.6 mm.) for the illusion of better protection from road rash. Although I have known riders who went down with 3.0 and 3.5 oz leathers who had good protection. I guess it depends on the speed at dismount and the distance of the slide.

For reference, my Aero FQHH jackets are about 3.0 to 3.5 oz. My Aero steer is about 3.5 to 4 oz. as is my competition weight Vanson.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Carlos.

So basically, the thickness is the more honest measure, I suppose.

Well both are measurements of thickness!
I was under the impression that the ounce measurement was a value per square foot or something like that, but apparently it is actually a measurement of thickness, not weight.

I mean if you can have fluid ounces why not thickness ounces?

More info from another site:

The thickness of most craft leather is designated by "ounce", which is 1/64" in thickness. Sole leather which may be used by sandal and shoe makers is measured in terms of "iron" which is 1/48" in thickness.

So apparently there are many weird units of thickness for leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko