Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

accessories?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Do you always match your accessories? I recently bought some fabric t make up this dress. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6135308805&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT In the store, the fabric looked black, with pink flowers. When I got it home, it was navy blue. I can't seem to find 40's navy shoes in my size. Would anyone notice black shoes with a navy dress? I still haven't even cut the fabric, because I can't decide what to do.
kamikat

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have one pair of navy shoes, but I can only pair them with slacks (although dressy, they have a chunky heel and I don't think they look right with dresses or skirts). So I end up wearing black shoes with my navy dresses--I think it looks fine, especially when the garment is a very dark navy.

Actually, I was watching a 1940s movie today, and in one scene two of the characters wore blue dresses (one powder blue, one cadet blue) with black shoes. When you think about, lots of different colors were paired together in the 1940s. For example, women would wear a navy dress with red shoes, belt and purse. Or perhaps a dark brown suit with mustard yellow accessories. Also, when looking through old catalogs (there are some great books that illustrate catalogs through the eras), it seems that women were encouraged to wear interesting accessories that contrasted with the rest of the outfit. I think women would often buy one or two new, trendy pieces (a great hat or sash) that would allow them to update last season's ensembles--and a great way to do that would be to select one of the 'new' colors they promoted each season. In other words, matching everything (navy to navy, black to black) wasn’t required.

The fabric you've chosen sounds lovely, and the pattern is beautiful. Go for it! Besides, you might find a killer pair of navy pumps later on!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Do you have dark brown shoes you can use? I typically don't wear navy blue and black (unless it's a black shirt and jeans). But in the 1940s style, I'd imagine you could get away with it easily. People will be noticing your vintage style hair and outfit and probably not the shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana