Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Accouterments" Spelling Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobden

Practically Family
Cobden said:
...without wishing to appear to be a grammer nazi, surely the gentleman means accoutrements?

If anyone asks, my name is Dr. Sergei Von Holsterman-Ungern-Sternberg-Banerjee-Norbert-Dentressangle-Stobart III

Cobden

Practically Family
Ah, that might expalin it. Real English vs Silly English. I would pronouce accoutrements acc-oo-treh-mnts; but I'm from the civilised world, so... lol

That said; I can't spell grammar...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I say aluminum you say aluminium.

It's one thing to attack grammar and another to attack syntax (the biggest problem with written communication in this day) though to refer to erroneous spelling errors as grammar errors, thats just a slap in the face to Noel Webster and all the work he put into that grand book we call the Dictionary!

For shame, for shame!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Actually, Dr. Hfuhruhurr

It is gramma only in the colloquial. Properly it is grand-ma: the mother of ones own mother or father.

Facetiously,
The Wolf

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
[...] a slap in the face to Noel Webster and all the work he put into that grand book we call the Dictionary!

As they say.... Erm.... Don't you mean Noah Webster? ;)

I can't think of a dictionary without thinking of these fine gentlemen:

sJohnson_joshReynolds.jpg

minor_lead.jpg

Samuel Johnson and the mad William Chester Minor. Lexicography brings out the best in people, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21