Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Action Backs: Pros and Cons

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I've got an Aero Highwayman coming and I know it doesn't have the Action Back. All things being equal, I prefer the look of a jacket much more without the Action Back.
But, does the Action Back provide a useful function in a jacket such as the Highwayman?
Or is it more suited to other styles.
Please clue me in.
Specifically, those of you with Highwaymen, do you feel the jacket has a good enough range of motion w/out the Action Back?
Thanks all,
Lenny

I have quite a few Aero jackets without the bi-swing back. In my view...under normal wear..a bi-swing is not needed. In fact the jacket looks cleaner and squares up better without one. However...all of my riding jackets(MC) have a bi-swing(or action back). It is a must for me on a motorcycle since I am reaching for handlebars that are fairly far apart.
The bi-swing does look good on a Highwayman,tho..if you feel you need one. Aero seems to sew their bi-swing in the correct way as not to batwing which can be prominent on some jackets.
HD

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Good points gentlemen.
So, whaddya think HD, will the Highwayman ride up on me when reaching forward or upward?
I seem to recall somebody here getting one with the Action Back and posting pix.
Anyone recall the post?
Lenny

Well..an action back won't keep it from riding up. A bi-swing just opens up across the back somewhat to allow for an easier long reach.
Yep..peacoat posted picks of his cordovan Highwayman with biswing back.
Aero Highwaymans are put together like many jackets of the 1950s( I remember!).
HD

Lenny
I don't think that I have a leather jacket that won't ride up somewhat..if I raise my hands high above my head. Some more than others. The Highwayman...'30s HBs(with the higher cut armholes)...and A2s do...although the A2s ride up probably the least of any. I haven't had a problem with this concerning my Hwymn...but then I probably don't raise my arms straight up in the air very often.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
If you don't ride a motorcycle, you probably have no need for the action back. As HD said, it gives more range of motion in reaching forward, but the jacket has a cleaner look without it.

The two pictures below are the only ones I have of the back of the jacket.

Highwayman31009003.jpg

Highwayman003.jpg

Corky

Practically Family
The action back is much better...

I can only speak from my own experience, but one day I tried to do some chin-ups while wearing my old college leather jacket (without an action back) and the leather or the seams (can't recall which) came apart under the armpits. Since then, I have looked for jackets with an action back, so I would not be restricted in my range of motion, especially if I had to handle a movie or TV camera on myy shoulder.

I had the opportunity to try on 50 or so different sizes and models of leather jackets while trying to decide between the Army Air Force A-2 and the Navy G-1. The Navy jacket was more comfortable due to the action back which was part of the design, but I did not want a fur collar.

I continued to try on jacket after jacket unitl I found one that fit and felt just right. The perfect jacket turned out to be an An-J-3, which is like a hybrid of the G-1 and the A-2, with the best fefatures of each, including the action back.

The Air Force introduced the AN-J-3 in 1943 as a replacement for the A-2. The services had agreed to standardize their aviation clothing, and the AN-J-3 was created under the joint clothing system. The "AN" indicates that the item was standardized for use by both the Army and Navy. The "J" showed that it was a jacket, and the "3" stood for "type 3."

For for my tastes at least, it's the action back all the way.

Best of luck.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Interesting discussion this.

Most of my motorcycle jackets have not got bi-swing backs and I have never found them to be restrictive when on a bike.

Personally I just like the way they look, either on bike jackets or not.

My next Aero will definitely have an ‘action back’ of some sort.

James.

Another interesting concept is the inverted back pleat. Several years ago Ken Calder(Aero) sent me a pic of a jacket with a center back pleat...and also one with two back pleats on each side. They looked neatly border-stitched and expanded nicely as well. At that time they were willing to incorporate them into an Aero jacket (HB type)upon request. Unfortunately those photos were a computor or two ago and were'nt saved. However..the pleat was neat!
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
jamespibworth@n said:
Interesting discussion this.

Most of my motorcycle jackets have not got bi-swing backs and I have never found them to be restrictive when on a bike.

James.

I have several bike jackets without the bi-swing backs as well, and don't find them restrictive either. But, then, they aren't fitted as closely as the Highwayman. I think the bi-swing back is a necessity on the Aeros, if they are to be used as a bike jacket, or any other type of jacket that requires a full range of motion of the arms.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Peacoat,
With all due respect, it seems like you're the only one saying that the Highwayman is a tightly fitted jacket.
Did you just get a badly made one or are you built like a baboon? :p
Lenny

OneEyeMan said:
Peacoat,
With all due respect, it seems like you're the only one saying that the Highwayman is a tightly fitted jacket.
Did you just get a badly made one or are you built like a baboon? :p
Lenny

Not true...it is a trim jacket! Even IMO the "standard" Highwayman like most Aero jackets is trim fitting especially through the shoulders to square up nicely. The fit for me is not all all baggy. My reference as a boxy body was only in comparison to the slimmer smooth body of an Aero Half Belt. Now..if you go up a size or two..it will be larger all over unless alterations are made. I certainly don't ride my Harley wearing my Highwayman or HalfBelt simple because it then "becomes" too uncomfortable(tight) across the back and directly underarm. However...during normal wear..it looks sharply tailored in my view.
Here's some poorly lighted pics that,perhaps,can give some perspective.

Highwayman
100_0458.jpg

HalfBelt
100_0452.jpg

Neither are "skin tight"...but I would consider them trim.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, you have a trim fit Highwayman, just like mine. And, I too, would prefer a looser fit while on a motorcycle. But with the bi-swing back, it is an easier reach than without. Plus the Aero is such a tough leather, it is hard to imagine another leather jacket giving as much protection in the event of a go down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace