Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Actor Heath Ledger Is Found Dead

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/

January 22, 2008, 4:42 pm
Actor Heath Ledger Is Found Dead
By SEWELL CHAN
The actor Heath Ledger was found dead this afternoon in an apartment building at 421 Broome Street in SoHo, according to the New York City police. Mr. Ledger was 28.

At 3:31 p.m., a masseuse arrived at Apartment 5A in the building for an appointment with Mr. Ledger, the police said. The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of Mr. Ledger’s bedroom. When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger unconscious. They shook him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities. The police said they did not suspect foul play and said they found pills near body.

Mr. Ledger, a native of Perth, Australia, won acclaim for his role as a co-star in “Brokeback Mountain”, a 2005 film. The film, based on a short story by Annie Proulx about two cowboys who fall in love, won critical acclaim. Reviewing the film in The New York Times, the critic Stephen Holden wrote, “Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn.”

Calls by The New York Times to Mara Buxbaum, a publicist for Mr. Ledger, and Steve Alexander, the actor’s agent, were not immediately returned this afternoon.

Thomas J. Lueck contributed reporting.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
HEATH

Sad news:

The Patriot, Brokeback Mountain & now latest Batman as the Joker. You just never know what stresses people are under & for whatever reasons.

Solid Citizen :(

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Never much of a Heath Ledger fan, althought I do like Knight's Tale. Still it is sad. A shock... I heard it on the news and I gasped!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
CNN is saying possible drug overdose w/OTC sleeping medication. (He was in London on Saturday & some are saying he might have been trying to get caught up with his sleep) This is a such a shock, I figured it would be Britney Spears.[huh]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just saw this on the news, too. Very, very sad. I loved him in 10 Things I Hate About You, a teeny-bopper flick, yes, but he was great in it.

Also loved him in The Patriot.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
damn i cannot believe it...i literally cried out when i saw it on MSN frontpage. he was a REALLY good actor. such a shock...and young too...

Joli7211

Familiar Face
What? Huh? No... I was just reading ETonline. They would know... Let me go back.

That is a crying shame. He was such a talent. My prayers for him and to his family.

Hondo

One Too Many
He was really good in Casanova, this is almost has bad (terrible loss) as River Phoenix’s death, what a waste of talent, greatly missed :(

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I find this is so shocking and sad. I thought he was rather talented, and with time could have become quite skilled. Nonetheless I think the fact that he had a young child is the saddest part of this. :(

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He was only just starting to make his mark on the world. There aren't words to describe this awful tragedy. As Joie said, how terrible for his little daughter and his family.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pretty faythe said:
My sis just texted me and I had to go on line to check....OMG!!! This is soooo wrong!!!!

Same sort of thing here - got an IM from a friend and mentioned that, and couldn't believe it. Sad, very sad, and completely shocked me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points