Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Mojave Jack, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Thanks Robert. Missouri State is close, but I probably won’t bother them with it. Most likely Osage tribe and 200+ years old. It could be much older I suppose. We find pieces every so often, but don’t go out of our way to look. The “looking” is best after the fields have been turned and we have a good rain.

It has been about 10 years since we’ve located a complete one. Most of the complete ones found by the last three generations are back in town at my son’s house.

These were either broken by the tilling or were “factory seconds” when made and we just ran across their trash pile.

F6EC68EF-3E16-4E39-AA3A-7FCED1DAA405.jpeg

Tiki Tom likes this.
  2. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

A little jungle hike… 0B3E3B37-41A2-4C8A-B242-D2880EAC0ABE.jpeg 657BBEFF-FA67-4806-809E-2D8D12EA238A.jpeg D8847696-439D-488E-927E-5AC67FF1A9CA.jpeg

3. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Could be much older? Archaeologists have pieced together a Neolithic flint arrowhead for the first time in 4,500 years - revealing the finest Stone Age arrowhead ever found in Britain. Click on the link then go to the YouTube link to see the four and a half thousand year old arrow head. https://www.reading.ac.uk/news-archive/press-releases/pr669518.html

Tiki Tom and BobHufford like this.
  4. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

How does one date an arrowhead or flint? Is it a matter of recording and dating the layer of soil that it was found in? Or maybe what was found with it? Are there distinctive styles or chipping techniques that are accepted as being, say, from 200 years ago as opposed to 4,000 years ago? I think your collection is very cool.

5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

They probably found the sell by date.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  6. GaryJ

GaryJ New in Town

If flint and chemically similar rocks have previously been heated to 400° (in a hearth or other fire) the date they were heated can be determined using thermoluminescence. And yes, dating the layers of material in which the flint was located is also used to date the rock.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  7. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

8. I found this reconstruction of Neanderthal Krijn interesting:

[​IMG]

I could swear I worked with that guy years ago.