Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure is My Business

MikeKardec

One Too Many
This probably belongs in the reading room but it is so specific to the outdoors that I'm posting here.

I've just been rereading my collection of Russell Annabel books about the old days in Alaska. The collections, which you can find on Amazon, are made up from old magazine essays like Outdoor Life and go back at least as far as the 1940s.

Good reading!

Renault

One Too Many
I know Annabel was a war correspondent during the Aleutian campaign. And wrote extensively on the Battle of Attu. Just finished two books by Jim Rearden who has a collection of Annabel's original letters.
One book is the story of Frank Glaser. Alaskan hunter, guide, trapper and wolf expert, 1915 to 1955. Book titled "Alaska's Wolf Man".

The other was a historical novel based entirely on fact titled "Castner's Cutthroats, Saga of the Alaska Scouts". The story of the Combat Intelligence Platoon, Alaskan Defense Command, and the part they played in the Aleutian campaign. The unit was made up of Alaskan trappers, hunters, miners, sourdoughs, Aleut, Eskimo, and Athabaskans and probably the last time in warfare that such a group of woodsmen were assembled into an organized military unit! Very interesting read! That is if you like adventure!

Renault

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21