Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventuring boots for your consideration...

Which of these is the perfect adventurer's boot?

• LL Bean moc-toe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LL Bean cap-toe

• Corcoran II Field Boot

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I've narrowed my search for the perfect adventurer's boots down to three, links below:

LL Bean moc-toes

LL Bean cap toes

And the venerable Corcoran Field boot, this time in the updated II version, which I just realized I lost my link for :eusa_doh:

Opinions please...

Jay

Practically Family
I personally like the traditional all-leather look the best, but that's just my opinion. They bring to mind the safaris of old. The LL Beans remind of The Outdoor channel and pheasant hunting with my Dad, even though we never wear boots like that. Curious...

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Indy boots 6 years old with the heels replaced once a couple of years ago.
indyboots.jpg

18A_0049.jpg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Canadian Parade boots. Steel toe, ankle support, tough leather, and at the end of the day you can buff the shine back up and wear them with a suit and tie. the picture does not do them justice.

http://www.sail.qc.ca/catalog/detail.jsp?id=3644

next to these I have a pair or redwings. Only thing against them is they look like work boots so you cant clean them up that much.

Johnny

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Sorry, I should have specified more.

I'm looking for the perfect Quatermain/safari-esque adventuring boot. A lot of what you all posted isn't going to be high-topped enough to work for me (ie- Indyboot, and most of those "Selous" boots). I want to be able to wear it bloused or un-bloused depending on the situation, which is why I was leaning towards a Corcoran-style boot. And also, the only American distributor of those Courtenay boots is in Montana :eusa_doh:

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick Charles said:
You know those kilties do come off, they are attached to the laces.

Well, now I do. :D

I was, of course, joking. Those are nice looking boots.

My most comfortable high leather boots are my old "Cadillacs" from the Marines. Unfortunately they are black and thus can't blend in with vintage. I suppose I could try stripping them.....

Laced up properly they are watertight, ankle supportive, spitshine like a mirror... Time to get them resoled and back in rotation regardless of color.

Baggers

Practically Family
Kodiak said:
Sorry, I should have specified more.

I'm looking for the perfect Quatermain/safari-esque adventuring boot. A lot of what you all posted isn't going to be high-topped enough to work for me (ie- Indyboot, and most of those "Selous" boots). I want to be able to wear it bloused or un-bloused depending on the situation, which is why I was leaning towards a Corcoran-style boot. And also, the only American distributor of those Courtenay boots is in Montana :eusa_doh:

I've got a couple pair of Courtneys, including the Selous, and like them. They're very comfortable. Unfortunately, they're too modern for a classic look. If you're looking for something really "Quatermain/safari-esque," then you'd probably want something really old school. The early Great White Hunter types like Selous actually wore very light weight low quarter shoes called veldshoen (it's Afrikaans, pronounce the V with an "F" sound), an early prototype of the classic suede chukka type boot, otherwise known as desert boots, or during WW2, "brothel creepers" by the British. Either that, or a high leg equestrian type boot designed for walking, called a field boot. They have laced insteps and perhaps shafts that buckle fasten like a leather legging. They're very similar to the strathcona boots that Mojave wrote about in this or another thread.

I've just popped for What Price Glory's M1940 cavalry boot and the Patton boot. He just got the Patton boots in and he's sending me one pair of each to see which style will work best. I'm also getting a pair of his khaki cotton breeches. They should be here Wednesday, and I'll report my findings.

Cheers!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Baggers...

Thanks in advance for "test driving" the boots and breeches.
Very interested in what you think of the WPG riding breeches.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
atf

In person, those ATF service shoes seemd a littl shiney, like they were plasticy.

I havent heard great things about any of the repro house jump boots, so I'd stick with a quality pair from Corcoran.

I own the classic corcoran paratrooper boot in back & brown. I find them very comfortable.
The black ones are also available w/ a zip running up the side, which is probably VERY handy. Wish the brown came with that option. I've seen pix on ebay of post WWII brown paratrooper boots that had this zip option customized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot