Advice about my hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by ninman, May 22, 2016.

1. ninman

ninman One of the Regulars

So I spent a little time just adjusting the bash on my hat to get it a little bit closer to looking like Indy's hat. The problem I've got is that while the right hand side of the hat looks pretty much perfect, the left hand side appears to have a very slight taper and this kind of "dome" shaped appearance. I've attached some photos so you can see it. Can anyone give me any advice about how to fix it so that the left hand side of the hat looks like the right hand side.

Cheers

20160522_165852_resized.jpg 20160522_165750_resized.jpg 20160522_165812_resized.jpg 20160522_165830_resized.jpg

Eliesti likes this.
  2. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

my advice is to stop worrying about symmetry and just wear the thing

nothing less appealing to me in a hat than "perfect" shape and symmetry

to me the absolute best part of a hand crease is that it DOESN'T look like one of those damn blocked in creases

in the day they called it "nonchalance"

put it on your head and roll

it looks fantastic .... trust me

addison, Blackthorn, rogerstg and 6 others like this.
  3. g.durand

g.durand One Too Many

It's easy to become obsessive about these things. I do, too. During a lifetime of making things (furniture, sculpture, paintings) the eye gets refined to seeing the smallest imperfection.
    I came to realize I'm the only person who can see the flaws in what I make.

I'm with moon. Asymmetry is everywhere. No hat is perfect. To tell you the truth, I can't see much wrong with your hat from the photos.

Just wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bendingoak

bendingoak Vendor

5. RJR

RJR

+1

6. emigran

emigran Practically Family

Sensible advice... your hat looks cool BTW

7. Asmo

Asmo One of the Regulars

I honestly don't see it. It looks great to me. And yes, I agree with the others, a little asymmetry is expected. All of my hats are a little off if you look closely. Some of it is from my creasing it, but most comes from handling the hat.

Bob Roberts likes this.
  8. bendingoak

bendingoak Vendor

I think what you guys are missing is he is trying to get a accurate looking Raiders crease and gear heads are picky about the look. It's not everyones cup of tea but when your into it, you are really into it.

scottyrocks, Asmo and BJC88 like this.
  9. BJC88

BJC88 New in Town

What John (bendingoak) said, lol.

Ninman: I would go with John's bashing tutorial video for the Raiders bash; however, different block shapes for fedoras will result in a different look. What hat do you have?

10. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Spoken with the assertion and confidence of a man who knows his hats. Well said Sir.

11. Asmo

Asmo One of the Regulars

I guess I didn't realize the level of Indy-ness Ninman was going for, so in that case, go with what John (bendingoak) says. I don't know of anyone more knowledgeable of Indy's hats.

12. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

G, we have very similar backgrounds ( I've only dabbled in sculpting but work full time as an artist and still make furniture on the side) and have come to very similar hat conclusions

40Cal likes this.
  13. 56FordGuy

56FordGuy One of the Regulars

A well respected hatter once told me "a hat needs a few years of wear to really look right" and I tend to agree. My everyday hat is nowhere near symmetrical anymore, but I think it looks fine.

Of course, if you're going for an exact replica disregard that.

14. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Indy's hat in 'Raiders' was deliberately asymmetric & all the better & more noticible for it.

scottyrocks likes this.
  15. RJR

RJR

+1 You won't get better advice than from John,imo.

16. ninman

Hi guys,

I'm not going for sort of super 100% screen accurate. My hat is a David Morgan Akubra Adventurer, size 60. I just wanted it to look a bit squarer at the top. Btw, I have seen John Penman's video multiple times.

I'm really just using Indy's hat as a guide, but I really like the square look he gets. My hat on the bow side looks quite square, which is great, but on the side without the bow it looks a little too rounded. So I was just wondering if there was a way to square it up a bit more.

Thanks a lot for the compliments though, I really appreciate it.

17. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

the squareness is mostly due to the block

there are shaping tricks that you learn with experience that can lend themselves to this appearance ... more difficult to achieve when using a center dent with a more tapered crown

but mostly it is the block ... as is the case with the Herbert Johnson Raiders hat

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  18. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

You can put a diamond bash in the side that is not as square. That'll straighten up the side a bit. Of course the top won't be symmetrical anymore.

I think I was kidding when I wrote that, but now I'm not so sure.

Bob Roberts likes this.
  19. ninman

How do you do that?

20. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

a diamond crease will give a hat a more straight appearance ... a six point diamond and a teardrop can also have that affect ... where a center crease will leave the hats natural taper and sometimes give it even more taper

the Raiders hat has a center crease ... so if you want it accurate you will either have to live with the taper or get a hat blocked with a more straight high block

see this thread for some options in video form

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/monster-bash-videos-show-us-how-you-bash.85436/