Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for newcomer on custom hatters

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Hello. I just started getting into Fedoras and I'm having problems finding anything with a tall enough crown. I'm beginning to contemplate a custom hat and was wondering about Baron Hats. I've read a few comments in some of the posts that seem to indicate they are not too popular. What's the skinny here?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lloyd

Mulceber

Practically Family
Yeah, Baron isn't too popular. The main reason for this is that they have a habit of misleading customers into thinking that they made hats for films which they didn't. For example, when Indy IV was coming out, there were a couple of ads posted in the News claiming that Baron was making the hats for the movie. Those articles were posted by the media but Baron never denied the claim that he made them. At least, not until several other sources - including Stephen Spielberg himself - had refuted the claim. The real maker of the Indy IV fedora was Steve Delk, a member of this board and a wonderful man to deal with. He almost didn't get credit for his work because of Baron.

Then with regard to Johnny Depp's Public Enemies oxblood fedora, if you look at Baron's site, they have a reproduction of it, but you'll notice they're very slippery about the language. Apparently they made one of the hats for the other scenes in the movie (the boater Dilinger's wearing when he gets killed) and on the page about the oxblood felt hat, they say something to the effect of "we're really proud of our association with Mr. Depp, and because of that, we're offering this fedora." Is it exactly lying? no. But it isn't exactly telling the truth either. The real maker of the Public Enemies Oxblood hat was Graham Thompson of Optimo Hat Company in Chicago. Another great hat maker. That's the major reason, I think, for why people don't like Baron. He takes credit away from a lot of hard-working hatters with his slippery language.

I'd also point out that his hats are far more expensive than a lot of other custom hatters. From what I've seen, his rabbit fur hats are a minimum of $350, usually more like $400. Once you get into beaver felt, it's more like $600-$700. In contrast, you could get a really nice beaver felt hat from Art Fawcett, who is a stand-up business man and a pleasure to deal with for around $300. Personally, I wouldn't go for Baron, if for no other reason than for the costs.

If you're looking for a hat that's as good as or better than a Baron's beaver fedora at a good price, I'd recommend one of the following three hatters:
Vintage Silhouettes - Art Fawcett is a great hatter, I've never heard anything but wow reviews of his work, and I can testify from my own experience that he makes amazing hats. Going by his site, his hats typically cost $305 plus shipping, although you'd have to ask him for a price quote.
Penman Hat Co. - also heard great reviews. He tends to specialize in Indy fedoras, but also makes some great regular fedoras if you ask him. His beaver hats, quoting from his site, are $350 plus shipping.
Tumwater Hat Co. - I haven't seen many examples of his work on the lounge, but what I've seen have had quite good reviews. Going by his site his basic, beaver felt fedora is $275.

IMHO, any of these hatters would be a better alternative to Baron. They're more honest about their work, they charge more reasonable prices and from what I've read, they each do work that is better than Baron. Most of the Baron reviews I've read have been good, but not amazing. In contrast, what I've read about these three hatters suggests that they all do five star work. -M

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'd also suggest checking out Mike Moore's work. He runs Buckaroo Hatters (http://www.buckaroohatters.com/) in Tennessee. The only custom hat that I (currently) own is a Buckaroo, and I can vouch for the quality of the work. I have a 100% beaver MooreLite & it's simply an amazing hat. Mike's also a pleasure to deal with.

Edited to add: Welcome to the Lounge!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Welcome, welcome!

That is some interesting information about Baron's. I don't follow their stuff very closely.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge!

I have to tell you we have a great many fine hatters here at the Lounge.

Mike is a friend of mine, I know him personally and he is as fine a man as you will ever meet.

Art is a friend I have never met in person. But a friend none the less. He has done work on several hats for me. And the work was great.

Tony at Tumwater is a friend by virtue of the Lounge. A great guy that is always ready to offer his help. And check out post of his hats. MAN they look great!

I have a couple of hats by Steve at Adventurebilt, Steve is a super guy and his hats are top notch.

John at Penman Hat Co. is also one of our latest in hatters. He makes a great Indy hat but also check out his more common looking fedora.

I am sure I missed a few.... and I apologise.
Good luck in your hat search and I hope we see what you come up with soon!!!

You plainly can't go wrong with Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes. I can unequivocally recommend him to any would-be custom hat buyer, and especially a first-time custom hat buyer.

I've chatted some with Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters and regard him as a friend. Although I have never handled one of his custom hats, everyone I know who has can vouch for the high quality of the craftsmanship and materials.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
I'll have one of each. No two! Wait, I mean three...

I too can vouch for Art Fawcett. All of the hatters who have been mentioned have excellent reputations, but thus far I have only bought hats from Mister Fawcett. (Something I plan to soon enough remedy) I feel it especially important to note that Mister Fawcett is very easy to work with. Besides being impeccably good-natured, he is also very responsive. I've never had a message to him go very long without an entirely satisfactory answer. He's also a whiz with choosing colors.

You could also consider, as was already suggested, Penman Hats, which has a very good reputation. Tumwater Hats and The Custom Hatter should also serve well.

Testament to the merits of Mister Fawcett's work abound in the Art Fawcett Hall of Fame. There are also threads devoted to Penman Hats and Tumwater (Lounge member TonyB).

That being said, you probably won't go wrong with any of them.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I've not purchased a hat from Mr. Fawcett, but I did send him some hats to be refurbished/donated, and so I too can attest to his courtesy, responsiveness, and generally gentlemanly nature.

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
I have been having Gary White, the Custom Hatter of Buffalo make my hats for many years and between us, my wife and I own maybe ten or twelve of his fdoras. They are each magnificent and each exactly what we wanted. More importantly, perhaps, I have Gary clean, re-size and otherise maintain my hats and under his good care...maybe once every two years...these hats could last forever.

Buzz

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Love to see pictures Sir...have searched the lounge but only seen one small photo. With such a fine camera, your Gary Whites would be well received...

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
daizawaguy said:
Love to see pictures Sir...have searched the lounge but only seen one small photo. With such a fine camera, your Gary Whites would be well received...
Alas, I store all of my photographs on 24 mm by 36 mm pieces of acetate and I have yet to figure out how to convert them to electronic impulses. Perhaps I can enlist the aid of my teenagers...

Buzz

Mulceber

Practically Family
Agreed - it also helps if you can give him some pictures of yourself and a general description of your build - from there he can make a hat that will truly suit your frame. -M

metropd

One Too Many
M6Classic said:
I have been having Gary White, the Custom Hatter of Buffalo make my hats for many years and between us, my wife and I own maybe ten or twelve of his fdoras. They are each magnificent and each exactly what we wanted. More importantly, perhaps, I have Gary clean, re-size and otherise maintain my hats and under his good care...maybe once every two years...these hats could last forever.

Buzz

+100,000,000,

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Jut got off the phone with Art Fawcett and all is in hand.
Thanks for the advice everyone and I'll be sure to post pics when the new cover arrives. According to Art that should be in late January if all goes according to plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana