Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed - Akubra Federation IV

Christopher Lange

New in Town
Good day, gentlemen.

I am new to this forum :) I am doing a bit of pre-purchase research about the Akubra Fed IV. In general, I have read many positive feedbacks about the hat, on this forum as well as other places. However, the other day I came across this review

http://adambeeton.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/review-of-akubra-federation-iv-and.html

which casts a great doubt in my mind regarding the hat's tapering-resistance. Basically, I am looking for a fedora with a non-tapered crown so this problem concerns me a fair bit. Can you, especially ones who own the hat, give some insights, please?

Thank you.

Interesting. I own three Akubras, but don't have the Fed IV. This review is pretty out of line with the experience of other Loungers. It'll be interesting to see the responses.

I don't want to discount his experiences, but there are certain elements to the review (terminology, etc.) that make me question his expertise, though.

RJR

Interesting,I own three FED IVs.They've all been worn hard,rained on,etc and I see no evidence of shrinkage to the crowns.As noted by many,they start a bit large and the sweatbands seem to shrink to fit over time.
This one has been literally drowned seve
Hat-Akubra-FED IV-Dk Brn 2.jpg
ral times.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is an exception to every rule. This looks like the Akubra Federarions. I have two federations. First was a standard from back in 2000. I sold it about ten years ago to a buddy who is now looking at getting it serviced. The reason I would it was I got a federation deluxe. I have shown pictures on the lounge many times. It is usually my foul weather hat. No it doesent have much taper at all. But how you crease the crown can give the illusion of tapering.
Long story short, don't be put off by this review. Its a fine hat.
Johnny

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Good day, gentlemen.
However, the other day I came across this review

http://adambeeton.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/review-of-akubra-federation-iv-and.html

which casts a great doubt in my mind regarding the hat's tapering-resistance.

That user's experience could be related to a host of items. Maybe some user error, like letting it dry in an environment too warm.

Also, it's a production fur felt hat. Noting is exact and nothing is guaranteed. Maybe the felt blend they used in 2014/5 was prone to shrinking a bit more than other batches. He noted that his hat was about half a size small when he got it (assuming he measured correctly). That's to be expected, plus or minus a bit on the size. Anyone that's ever bought a pair of production leather shoes is familiar with that.

If common variations are a deal breaker, there's always the bespoke route.

Knotten

Practically Family
I echo what others are saying here. My Fed IV is one of my go-to hats in the rain and snow. The other one is my Akubra Campdraft. They are made to handle any weather. I haven't noticed any tapering. I just hang 'em up wet on a hatrack in the basement and they're good to go the next day, no worse for wear.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Same positive experiences here. I own fourteen felt Akubra hats, including four Fed IV hats (Imperial and Heritage grades) and have never noticed any tapering or other ill effects in all my years of ownership. In fact, the larger brim Feds and Campdrafts are my "go to" hats in inclement weather.

I wouldn't much too much stock into this anecdotal report, especially in view of the many positive experiences reported in this forum.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One thing that rings true is what he has done with the hat to make it shrink like that. I knew one guy who dried his hats by putting them on top of a lampshade with the lamp on. Letting the heat dry the hat. This made it taper but that was a look he liked so it was fine for him.
Just a thought.
Johnny

Christopher Lange

New in Town
My fellow Loungers,

I thank you for your invaluable advice. You have certainly reinforced my drooping confidence. I am going to Katoomba in November and will pay a visit to Hats Direct's store there. I will purchase the hat then (presumably I won't become obsessed by the Campdraft ;)).

Once again, thank you very much indeed.

Chris

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My fellow Loungers,

I thank you for your invaluable advice. You have certainly reinforced my drooping confidence. I am going to Katoomba in November and will pay a visit to Hats Direct's store there. I will purchase the hat then (presumably I won't become obsessed by the Campdraft ;)).

Once again, thank you very much indeed.

Chris
Wlcm. Yes you will.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I own two Fed IV's and have not had an issue with the crown tapering. You are lucky that you can go to the store and pick out the one you want. Like the others have stated, I have worn mine in down pours and snow storms and they hold up just fine. Good luck on just walking out with one hat....

Eliesti

A-List Customer
I have nothing but good things to say about my Fed IV Deluxe. It is my favorite hat out of the five hats that I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I have been enjoying wearing my Heritage Fawn Fed IV to work. I think it looks good with blue suits but not so good with grey.

Obviously that means I need a second Fed IV, right??

But what colour? I don't think moonstone would look great with grey suits. How would brown look with grey?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points