Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Barmah hat sizing?

bombin

Familiar Face
I'd like to order a couple of Barmah squashies for me and my wife, but I'm little concerned about sizing as I keep running into reviews suggesting that Barmahs might run small. (Here are the "official" size charts:

Small 55 cm 21.6 inch
Medium 57 cm 22.4 inch
Large 59 cm 23 inch
XLarge 61 cm 24 inch
XXLarge 62.5 cm 24.6 inch

)

I'm measuring in at 23inches, which would seem to be a Large Bamrah, but I wonder if Extra Large would be a safer bet? Or would getting a Large and stretching it if it's a bit small be better?

Does anyone here have experience with these hats?

bh2001

New in Town
I have one and I usually go for a size 60, I think my head is actually between 59 and 60, I chose a Large as XL 61. The Large fits ok but is a little tight however it is quite stretchy and I reckon with a bit of wearing it will stretch ok. If you are a dead on 59 it should be really comfy.
Good quality hat.

bombin

Familiar Face
Many thanks; I think I'm close on being dead on 59 (and my wife a bit smaller), so it sounds like Large is the best choice.

They look like really great hats; I currently only have my 20 year wool bowler, which isn't ideal for summer.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Barmah hats do tend to run small & it's advised to buy the next size up........they are also very sensitive to temperature so can feel 'big' when it's hot or 'small' when cold. Never leave your leather hat in a hot place such as in a car in full sun as they will shrink & become permantly deformed.
Another problem of getting a Barmah hat just a little too small is that by forcing it down on ya noggin & stretching it, changes the sweep of the brim, which means that the sides will curve much higher & thus the front & back dip will be also be more pronounced. If the hat should be little on the large size, you can always stick something behind the sweat band to get a snug fit but if it's too small there ain't much you can do.

bombin

Familiar Face
Large Barmah Squashy Roos arrived, fits both of our heads (individually, I mean, not at the same time). Thanks for sizing advice.

What leather conditioner/treatment do people use on these? (& how freq?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk