Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 15142 Seal Goat Review Pt. 1

Tariacuri

New in Town
Hello all, I have several jackets to review, all acquired in the last 7 months or so.

Here is #2

INTRODUCTION

Aero Leather Company, Beacon NY (Transatlantic Clothing, Scotland version) 15142, size 46 – in goat. This is a wartime contract with berry knits and has the typical Aero small, rounded collar, square pockets, and short cut. I don’t think goat jackets were common for Aero?? But I wanted one so . . . there you go.

frontfull.jpg

Front view

backfull.jpg

Back view

ORDERING AND ARRIVAL

Oh hell, this happened so long ago. I ordered via Mark Moye, Aero’s US representative circa Jan or Feb O7, he said two months or something, and it took two months or whatever it was.

MEASUREMENTS & FIT

I measure a 43" chest, circa 195 lbs, 5’11” tall. Not really much of a gut. The jacket is tagged as a 46. I applied the ‘hot water technique’ and really tried to work and soften the leather. It was stiff as a board when I got it. It’s getting much, much better and I expect that by the end of the season it will be pretty soft.

Armpit to armpit - 24"
Front Length - 24"
Back length – 22-1/2"
Arm length top - 23"
Arm length bottom – 18-1/2”
Epaulet length - 7 "
Cuffs – 2”
Waistband – 3”

This is a much different fit then the Good Wear Dubow and the difference is instructive. Part of it certainly is the actual pattern. Aero’s are known to be shorter and boxy in the chest, tighter in the waist. But . . and this is no knock on Transatlantic . . some of it is their particular pattern. The shoulders seem slightly wide, as evidenced by the long epaulets. How much longer then the normal standard of variation for these jackets – I have no clue??
front

Front view

The effect is to push the line of the shoulder outward at the top so that the top of the arm rolls under the seam a bit. If you go through the photos on the site below there are several A-2’s that exhibit this trait - "Officer with clipboard" is one.

http://cornellsurgery.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2133

I would be interested to get some measurements for an original Aero A-2 tagged as a 46, 48, and larger (if they exist?) to compare.
front2.jpg

Front with arms up - notice the rolled edge at the shoulder seam

And it certainly is slightly shorter then comparable sized A-2 repro’s I have had – but these are short jackets to begin with – e.g. like a classic ‘jean jacket’. But . . this is known as a short pattern. Again I would love some measurements from a larger original Aero to compare.

My wife has decided that the Aero looks better with ‘jeans’/casual stuff, the Dubow with Chino’s. I’ve been wearing them both interchangeably. Probably should listen to her (LOL).
side.jpg

Side view with jacket open

side3.jpg

Side view with me leaning back for some reason

back.jpg

Back view

Click here for Part II

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=417042#post417042

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member