Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 15142 Seal Goat Review Pt. 2

Tariacuri

New in Town
This is part II of this review, click here for part I

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23913

MATERIALS

The leather is Aero’s vegetable tanned goat. I don’t know what the weight is, certainly thin, and comparable to a WWII Navy jacket (I’ve never handled an original A-2 in goat).

The Leather has a reddish undercoat with a translucent seal topcoat. With wear the reddish color will show through just like an original – as it is already doing in a few high-wear areas. I find the overall color to be very close to the over-sprayed (depot refurbished Aero jackets) on the Chapman CD. After manipulating the jacket I have given it a couple light coats of Pecard’s which has helped soften the leather. Stitching was done with the correct weight OD thread.
backleather.jpg

View of back, sleeve, and side to show the grain on the leather

On arrival the leather was lightly figured, after manipulation/treatment the true grain of the goat shines through, as clearly evident in the pics.

The lining is of a proper weight cotton twill, and again very close in color/quality to the originals on the Chapman CD – I would say light mustard.
lining.jpg

Lining and windflap

The knits are Beacon Rust in color, high quality, and true to originals. I love the look of the Beacon Rust against the seal, especially with the reddish undertones.

DETAILS

The tag is close - close enough for me certainly
tag.jpg

View of tag

The collar is true to an original Aero, rounded points, smallish.
collar.jpg

collar shot - not the greatest pic

The epaulets are narrow, double-sided, stitching pattern seems correct. See comments above for length.
ep.jpg

Ep. shot

Pockets are great, square, boxy, with the correct shape for the flaps.
lpocket.jpg

View of left pocket

rpocket.jpg

View of right pocket

The zipper is a repro talon that looks pretty good
zip.jpg

View of zip and waist knits

The hardware includes ring snaps, like the originals.

CONCLUSION

I like this jacket but can see why folks flip over the shoulder width issues - but that is the original pattern. The leather is amazing and very, very nice.

Chris

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Both of these reviews you've offered are a great resource. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Goat can be stubborn about breaking in - these two look relaxed, natural and great!

Tariacuri

New in Town
Hey thanks, here is the answer to the shoulder length from the VLJ forum

Awesome, answers that question.

My Aero repro:

Armpit to armpit - 24"
Front Length - 24"
Back length – 23-1/2"
Arm length top - 23"
Arm length bottom – 18-1/2”
Epaulet length - 7 "
Cuffs – 2”
Waistband – 3”

"Here are the measurements of my Aero 15142 original size 48:

Armpit to armpit - 26"
Front Length (along the windflap)- 23.5"
Back length – 24 3/4"
Arm length top - 24 1/4"
Arm length bottom – 19-1/2”
Epaulet length (down the center)- 7.25 "
Cuffs – 2.5” (cuffs are replacements from Aero Scotland)
Waistband – 2.5” (waistband is original)"

Ok, there you have it - question solved!! Given the extra two inches around the middle for the original mine would seem to be pretty close. So . . . it would seem that the epaulet length and overall jacket length on the Scotland Aero are correct for the pattern.

So mine is similar to the fit on this pic of a navigator from the 95th Bg

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/...mp/95th BG/?action=view&current=Navigator.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Really like the look of that jacket. I'm a complete sucker for that combination of seal brown and rust knits. :)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
P15142 in goatskin

I have worn a similar jacket (with a NOS zipper) for about five years. It isn't my favourite A-2 but the goatskin is flexible and is wearing well. It feels very different from the goatskin that Navy jackets were made from, but I'm not sure why. I once had the opportunity to place it against a (horsehide) original from the same contract in size 42, and my repro (size 40) was a bit smaller in all dimensions. I would say it's not that far out, but I wish it was a 38.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112