Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1920s Work Coat

wdw

One Too Many
I can't resist button jackets so when this came out I had to have it, even though it's broadly similar to my two Stockmans. It's from the new Premier range, which means more money, a slimmer fit, a neater collar and double stitching around the edges and collar.

Slim is certainly the word for it. It's a 40", and is about 1" less pit2pit than my 38" Stockman. It's about 0.25-0.5" more than my 38" Dustbowl. The slimness is immediately noticeable around the hips, where it's about as tight as it can go. You certainly wouldn't want to be a pie lover if you want to fit this.

I'll only use the pockets for storage, and these take my wallet and Nexus 5 with ease, so that's all I need.

The colour is cordovan, with black Melton wool lining. The black isn't listed on the site, but Denny suggested it as an option, which I preferred.

The length is a standard 28", so similar to the Teamster and sits firmly in the mid-length range.

Beautifully put together by Julie, who somehow does all of my FQHH jackets, so that's a nice piece of continuity.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Nice ... how bulky does the leather over the melton wool feel WDW .... I'd imagine it's a muckle jacket :)

wdw

One Too Many
PL, not bulky as the wool is actually quite thin, but the whole thing seems a bit stiffer than I can remember, possibly because of the wool. I think this one will take a bit longer than the others to break in.

But the slim fit means that only a very thin jumper is possible, although the warmer wool means that a jumper isn't really necessary. I have my Stockmans if I need to bulk up for warmth.

And I've just realised that the buttons were no problem to use at all. They're the same fisheye ones as my Maxwell, so smaller than the Stockman, where the buttons were a real struggle.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Great jacket. :thumb: I too have become increasingly enamored with the slimmer fitting jackets with high arm holes that seem to make the jackets stay in place when unbuttoned/unzipped.

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks Fanch. I think this would work well on your slimmer build, should you feel the urge yet again.

I'm off out soon for a meal and will give it its first outing.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Very nice. Elegant in its stripped-down simplicity.

It doesn't look very simple at all Sloanie ... complex pleated back, button cufs, front yoke, rear curved yoke, double button halfbelt, double lipped pockets, wool lining, cotton sleeve .......

that's a very nice and very complex jacket as a work coat ... even compared to the relative simplicity of the stockman and the VDR

As an aside Burgundy / cordovan jackets are so under-rated :D

wdw

One Too Many
Good points, PL. You've put into words what had escaped me. I suppose that helps justify the relatively hefty price. I like the way the arm seams flow through the shoulders, but maybe that happens in other jackets and I've just not noticed.

All I really saw was the double row of stitching, which I don't think any of my other jackets have.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Really beautiful wdw, love the fit and the cordovan leather. I do understand what Sloan means. Even with the front yoke, it's very clean and elegant from the front. Congrats on a great new jacket.

wdw

One Too Many
How come you get the jacket so fast? I think Aero just released this pattern last month...

They had other Work Coats in production before mine, as I saw them, so I'm certainly not the first.

But it makes sense to get new designs out into the market quickly to generate interest and bump up sales.

But as Aero say on their site, waiting times are much shorter now as they have more staff.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fair point, PL, maybe it's the relatively clean front with the lack of pocket flaps, absence of buckled cinch straps (I really like the side buttons) and bi-swing that I'm reacting too.

Ken said that the original was an heirloom that a customer asked them to remake. Here's the original jacket, just for reference:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21