Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1930's half belt

Searching for info on the sizing at the chest and shoulders compared to a 50's half belt or other Aero jackets of similar design. Any info, pics etc would be most appreciated! If this question has been answered in a previous thread please show me the light.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Premier or regular 30's Half Belt?

From what I understand sizing would go 50's HB > 30's HB > Premier 30's HB

Maybe if you tell us your size, people can chime in with some measurements?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Maxwell and Mulligan are similar to the 1930's half belt, whereas my Pioneer is similar to the 1950's half belt. All are size 42 and below are the approximate measurements:

Maxwell/Mulligan
P2P - 24"
Shoulder - 19"
Waist - 21"

Pioneer
P2P - 25"
Shoulder - 20"
Waist - 22"

I tried on a friend's size 42 Premier 1930's HWM, and as I recall the measurements were P2P 22.5" and shoulder 18" which was way too tight and binding for me in the chest and shoulders, particularly the shoulders. The Premier HWM had smaller arm holes that might be problematic for the OP. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've got a 42" 50's HB and a 40" bootlegger. Just wondering how the 30's HB fits in relation to those two styles.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
I have a 1930 HB in 40 and a 1950 HB in 38. The fit is very similar but the 1950 HB has a boxier design.
A easy way to answer your question. Take a look at the Aero Sale/Used/Vintage site. You will find 1950 und 1930 HB with measurements so you can compare them. Consider that a Jacket in FQHH feels a half size smaller than a jacket made in the Italien Horsehide (Vicenza) imo.

I'd guess the shoulders on the premier HB would be way too narrow for you Ton.
Thanks PN. I have the feeling too but I love the collar shape and slimmed down torso. Perhaps I should just go with the standard 30's pattern for a trimmer fit than my 50's.

I have a 1930 HB in 40 and a 1950 HB in 38. The fit is very similar but the 1950 HB has a boxier design.
A easy way to answer your question. Take a look at the Aero Sale/Used/Vintage site. You will find 1950 und 1930 HB with measurements so you can compare them. Consider that a Jacket in FQHH feels a half size smaller than a jacket made in the Italien Horsehide (Vicenza) imo.
I tried that and became more confused. The sale sight has 44" w/ smaller p2p's than my 40" bootlegger!

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
That is a general problem with the custom handmade jackets. There is always a plus and minus in the measurements. I compared Board Racers all over the internet at Aeros site, Thurston Bros. and at Ebay. In the same size there were huge differences in measurements. Aero stated at their site under custom build "This leaves us no options other than to be unable to guarantee measurements of a finished jacket to be any more precise than to be within ½" of requirements" So there is always a little surprise when you receive the jacket.

Last edited:
Yeah I can live with 1/2". I'm just curious I suppose as to how much slimmer the 30's HB is next to the 50's HB. The fit jacket is en route but there's a part of me that'd love to keep it! I'm looking for a trim cut that's not as boxy as my 50's (or as warm) and not as biker esque as my bootlegger. My first thought was a Maxwell but seeing recent 30's HB's posted here swayed me toward the style.

image.png

I'm after this fit right here!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are after a much trimmer fit you can always specify say a 42 chest tapered down to a 40 waist in the 30s Half Belt if it isn't trim enough for you already. I've done that on a lot of my jackets.

If you are after a much trimmer fit you can always specify say a 42 chest tapered down to a 40 waist in the 30s Half Belt if it isn't trim enough for you already. I've done that on a lot of my jackets.
That's a good idea. Never thought of asking for that. Might be the way to go

Reactions: xmr

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hey Tony, if I could bear it I'd ship my 30's Steerhide HB over to you for a week or so, it's a 44 (with Insurrection specificed added body and sleeve length) and it fitss just a little more loosely than the Alexander leathers jacket that you sold to me. I have room underneith for a sweatshirt, but it's still not a boxy fit. I'll see if I could get a fit picture to you soon on it. Just for your referance I'm 6' 1" 195 lbs and have a 36" jeans waist size. I think the 44 in a 30's would be just a bit loose on you, a 42 might be on the snug side. My cafe racer, also Aero and Steerhide is a 42 and it fits nearly identical to the Alexander jacket. Thanks

Hey Tony, if I could bear it I'd ship my 30's Steerhide HB over to you for a week or so, it's a 44 (with Insurrection specificed added body and sleeve length) and it fitss just a little more loosely than the Alexander leathers jacket that you sold to me. I have room underneith for a sweatshirt, but it's still not a boxy fit. I'll see if I could get a fit picture to you soon on it. Just for your referance I'm 6' 1" 195 lbs and have a 36" jeans waist size. I think the 44 in a 30's would be just a bit loose on you, a 42 might be on the snug side. My cafe racer, also Aero and Steerhide is a 42 and it fits nearly identical to the Alexander jacket. Thanks
Thanks for the info! This helps! I'm thinking a 42" will give me the trim fit I'm after.

image.jpeg
Fit jacket arrived today! I think the fit is about spot on (but input here is appreciated!) and will opt for standard over the premier. Now this jacket heads on its way and I officially submit my order to Thurston Bros. tomorrow. Man, I'm geeked! And even tho I've opted for another CXL hide I fully understand why people like the Vincenza. It's a pleasure to wear!
image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points