Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero B6 Jacket - A few questions

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Hi all,

So the bug has caught on - I'm ordering a sheepskin jacket for the winter to beat the price rise at Aero! Dear god, what am I doing... :D

I'm 99% settled on the B6 but have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help with first:

- I was wondering if anybody knew historically what colour the trims on these jackets were - I see Goodwear and Eastman seemingly only make them with russet trims, but I'm not a fan of this contrast which I feel is too much. Did the USAAF ever issue these with seal brown sheepskin and seal brown trims? If not, I was thinking that seal brown sheepskin with oil pull trims could look really nice and provide some of that historically accurate contrast in colour.

- I have been advised to size up in the B6 - although I have a 44.5 chest, I have been told a 44 would be too snug and that a 46 is right. I do want a trim fit jacket, but this sounds logical to me as I know the B6 is supposed to be the slimmest sheepskin - I just wanted to check if anyone else has any experience of this.

Thanks!

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
I tried one last month, I considered sizing down on it. I'm a 40cafe racer, tried a 38 b6 that I thought fit pretty close. I'd prob still order the forty for comfort though

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I looked through my jacket resources (Full Gear and Suit Up!) and did see an example in Full Gear of a B-6 with seal brown seam tapes. The epaulets always seem to be more on the russet brown side though perhaps due to more UV exposure or wear from gear with shoulder straps (parachute, etc.) So, I think a jacket with seal brown sheepskin and seal brown trim could be considered historically accurate.

Good luck with you purchase. Please post a photo or two to make the rest of us jealous. :)

Noel

Plumbline

One Too Many
OK my suit size 42S classic fit (actual 43" chest, 36" waist and 33" sleeve) .... on a B6 I'd wear 19-20" shoulder 23-25" back and 23-24" Pit to Pit by pref.

Of the three makers I've tried (Eastman / Aero (old regime) / SB) the Eastman is a class act (both in construct and materials) with nothing to choose from in quality between Aero and SB (the old Fenland and N. American Sheepskin from Aero were what I had on my B6's, I haven't had a current version so cannot comment on the current sheepskin). The SB in their vintage sheepskin which is very good but a fraction lighter than the Eastman and Aero stuff but this makes it feel more broken in. NONE are bad jackets but the sizing is slightly different. The Eastman just "felt" better quality. I bought a 42" Eastman (Ebay) it was slightly snug, and neat for my taste, 2 x 44" Aero's (Ebay) which were a little loose and slightly long in the body but perfectly wearable - I could layer a jumper underneath) and a 42" SB (Direct) which was about right for me but T-shirt only fit.

I no longer have any of them ( there's no such thing as a keeper) but in my opinion the B6 fits fairly true to size and they are roughly around the same price point give or take £100 (Eastman £770, Aero £725 and SB £650) - I haven't had one of Johns (Goodwear) but the measurements on a 46" which sold on here recently were pretty consistent with an Aero 44" so I'd suggest order true to size on Eastman / Aero / SB and go up one size on Goodwear. Equally I'd suggest Johns would be the most accurate to original ( that's just my experience of Johns stuff).

The bi-swing back should allow you to size fairly snug. I've never seen a seal trimmed original ( but then I've only ever handled one original :) ) .. B/W pictures are notoriously difficult to get a color from (ask anyone who thought Brando's Waterfront jacket was green & Black) .... but why not, it would look cool. I've also never seen a Redskin original and all the majors produce these :)

HTH

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hi Meechumlake. I've recently bought the B6 in the Redskin. I'm a 44 chest and was advised by Aero to go the 46. Personally I feel it fits marginally on the large side when wearing it with a shirt or tshirt and perfect with a jumper.
Your marginally broader than me so I would be inclined to follow Aeros advice and go the 46.

Don't forget the photos!

Garry

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Hi Meechumlake. I've recently bought the B6 in the Redskin. I'm a 44 chest and was advised by Aero to go the 46. Personally I feel it fits marginally on the large side when wearing it with a shirt or tshirt and perfect with a jumper.
Your marginally broader than me so I would be inclined to follow Aeros advice and go the 46.

Don't forget the photos!

Garry

Hi there, any chance of photos on how it fits you? Slightly concerned now that maybe a 46 would be too big. I really want a trim fit so seeing how it looks on you would be a big help!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
No problem mate, any questions then ask away.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 1,956
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 2,995
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 2,202
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 1,929

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Hi Garry, many thanks for that! Your jacket looks absolutely superb! Maybe a 46 is the right choice after all!

What is the pit to pit and waist measurement of your jacket?

I too am around your height and was wondering what sleeve length you went for? Do the sleeves tend to crease and shorten with wear too?

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Will get back to you with the measurements in the morning mate (11.30pm here).

I think I went the standard arm length which initially felt a little long but they do shorten with wear plus the extra length is most welcome when I'm on a winter jaunt in my MG.

Regards

Garry

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
Damn man, love the look there! I think that might be my next purchase !

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Thanks for the kind words fellas, I'm very happy with it!

Meachamlake, the pit to pit measurement is 25inches and the waist is 24 inches.

If it helps, I'm 6'3, 98kg, 44 chest

Regards

Garry

Garry, thanks so much for getting those measurements. I think that should fit me really well, especially considering those pit to pit measurements will take into account the thickness of the sheepskin.

Out of interest, has anyone tried a D1? In terms of fit, how does it differ? I believe it's a much boxier fit?

powersci

One of the Regulars
Garry, thanks so much for getting those measurements. I think that should fit me really well, especially considering those pit to pit measurements will take into account the thickness of the sheepskin.

Out of interest, has anyone tried a D1? In terms of fit, how does it differ? I believe it's a much boxier fit?

I have both a B-6 and D-1 from Aero. My B-6 is a size 38 and I ordered it when I had a 36" chest. It's a bit tight on me now as I've a 38" chest. The D-1 (I bought size 40) is definitely boxier as it doesn't have the tapered cut to it like the B-6 does. It also has a shorter length. I asked for a longer length when I bought mine, but my request was overlooked.

Here's my post on my B-6, and here's my D-1 thread. Both have pics of the jacket and fit pics.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I have both a B-6 and D-1 from Aero. My B-6 is a size 38 and I ordered it when I had a 36" chest. It's a bit tight on me now as I've a 38" chest. The D-1 (I bought size 40) is definitely boxier as it doesn't have the tapered cut to it like the B-6 does. It also has a shorter length. I asked for a longer length when I bought mine, but my request was overlooked.

Here's my post on my B-6, and here's my D-1 thread. Both have pics of the jacket and fit pics.

Thanks so much, your jackets both look superb! I am now torn between the B6 and D1...more than I thought I would be! The D1 doesn't look as boxy as I assumed it would compared to the B6, even in a bigger size. Do you find the D1 has much baggier, roomier sleeves than the B6?

I also like the pockets with zips and the generally simpler design...decisions decisions!

powersci

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much, your jackets both look superb! I am now torn between the B6 and D1...more than I thought I would be! The D1 doesn't look as boxy as I assumed it would compared to the B6, even in a bigger size. Do you find the D1 has much baggier, roomier sleeves than the B6?

I also like the pockets with zips and the generally simpler design...decisions decisions!

I don't notice a difference in the sleeves. I just tried both on and felt the sleeves had a similar cut. I should note that on my D-1 I didn't have the v-design in the sleeve (I'm not sure what it's called; but if you look at the sleeves, you'll see what I mean).

Of my jackets the B-6 is a closer, more tailored fit, while the D-1 is a looser, straighter fit.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I don't notice a difference in the sleeves. I just tried both on and felt the sleeves had a similar cut. I should note that on my D-1 I didn't have the v-design in the sleeve (I'm not sure what it's called; but if you look at the sleeves, you'll see what I mean).

Of my jackets the B-6 is a closer, more tailored fit, while the D-1 is a looser, straighter fit.

Thanks again, powersci! Sounds like the difference isn't that huge...I'm now left wondering whether to go for a 44 D1 or a 46 B6. Since I'm inbetween a 44 and 46, I'm wondering if the D1 won't be so baggy after all - might actually be quite a neat fit...

Finally - I promise there won't be any more questions after this! - do you find the zip pockets on the D1 useful? The lack of these on the B6 might annoy me...are they big enough to put a pair of gloves / keys etc etc in? Thank you so much :)

powersci

One of the Regulars
Thanks again, powersci! Sounds like the difference isn't that huge...I'm now left wondering whether to go for a 44 D1 or a 46 B6. Since I'm inbetween a 44 and 46, I'm wondering if the D1 won't be so baggy after all - might actually be quite a neat fit...

Finally - I promise there won't be any more questions after this! - do you find the zip pockets on the D1 useful? The lack of these on the B6 might annoy me...are they big enough to put a pair of gloves / keys etc etc in? Thank you so much :)

I don't use the pockets on the B-6 and I only keep my house key in the pockets of my D-1. That's mostly because I keep my phone/wallet in my pant pockets.

If you've got any more questions, ask away! I asked a ton of questions before I bought my B-6 and contacted others who already had one. I got a fit jacket, too, from Thurston Bros to ensure I had the right fit.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
If you've got any more questions, ask away! I asked a ton of questions before I bought my B-6 and contacted others who already had one. I got a fit jacket, too, from Thurston Bros to ensure I had the right fit.

Thank you! Wish I could get a fit jacket, but living in the UK means I can't get access to that service. I'm actually really annoyed that I just came back from my holidays in Northumberland - about an hours drive from Aero in Galashiels - but I just never got the opportunity to go. Would have been ideal to try them all on. I'm not sure my girlfriend would have let me take up a whole day trying jackets though if I'm honest...! :p

Go on then, since you're so kindly offering to answer more of my questions...I know your two jackets are totally different sizes, but what are the pit-to-pit and waist measurements of both jackets? Ideally I want to get a feel for just how much bigger the D1 is than the B6 if that makes sense?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ