Aero Board Racer: advise needed

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by GoAround, Jan 19, 2020.

1. GoAround

GoAround New in Town

Dear Leather-Lovers,

I'm (a 187cm tall guy with a relatively short upper body) basically very happy with my Aero Board Racer jacket (see first two pictures), but couldn't get 100% used to the relatively wide opening of the lower part of the front jacket / just below where the front main zipper ends.

Extending the front main zipper is not an real option, as the jacket is already quite tight and this would only increase the force on the zipper e.g. when leaning forward or when sitting with the jacket zipped up. It felt like the zipper is ending at the right spot.

Hence I was thinking about to shorten the jacket approx. 0,5cm-1cm (simulated in the third picture on the right side). The belt should still be covered. What is your opinion about this thought?

In addition, I was thinking to remove the inner kidney panel (if possible) to gain some extra millimeters & flexibility in the lower area. Also here I'm happy to receive your thoughts.

Thank you for your time & your responses!!!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Boyo likes this.
  2. Robson

Robson New in Town

I have the same problem with my HighWayMan with zipped sleeves, had a discussion with Aero about it, but they can's do it different ( Vanson's sleeves don't have that problem)
    For use on a motorbike the sleeves are useless, gloves have a problem going over the bulge on the end of the sleeve.
    Shortening the sleeve is not an option, because of the construction of the sleeve.

3. GoAround

GoAround New in Town

Hi Robson, I was not talking about the sleeves - the sleeves are perfect for me. I'm talking about the lower center front jacket (just below the main front zipper). Sorry in case I was not clear enough in my original positing. I've edited it & hope it's clearer now.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  4. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

IMO it fits as it should. It looks great.
    The J-100 is a longer fitting jacket than a "regular" cafe racer, it should reach below the belt and flare out on the hips a little.
    I think shortening it looks weird and would make it less like a J-100 and more like any other cafe racer.

Here is mine, if anything it's a bit longer than yours...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seb Lucas, jonbuilder, Fanch and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr Knight

Mr Knight Familiar Face

It would be helpful to give the jacket size along with your own measurements of your jacket.

For what it’s worth, I’d request to delete the internal kidney panel. The general trade off for not having it is the internal lining at the lower back will take some wear from your belt. I recall speaking to Denny about it and he mentioned it was in place as a practical motorcycling feature to protect the kidneys. For a fashion jacket I don’t really see the point in having it.

GoAround likes this.
  6. ai00344

ai00344 One of the Regulars

I think the length is good. I’m not a fan however of the short zipper. My advice would be to replace it with a double zipper ( ala the Iron Heart CR) which you can adjust based on the situation. Admittedly I have no idea what this would cost.

7. Merv

Merv New in Town

Hi, I'm a little late to this thread, IMHO the jacket fits you perfecting in front; the back not so great. This is where many manufacturers miss their mark. Too much bunching in the arms and folds in the back, too much material. A new leather jacket (moto style) should fit snug through the arms and back because it will eventually break-in stretch and form to YOUR natural shape. This is especially the case if you're riding a motorcycle, the last thing you want is extra leather flapping in the wind. :)

GoAround likes this.
  8. SinSir

SinSir One of the Regulars

Looks good to me. At one time I wasn't sure how I liked the openeing on the bottom either or cared much. Now its what I look for. The two way is zip is next in line. I'd keep it as is but its your jacket and doable if you want.

I think the back looks good too. I think the opposite of extra leather in the sleeves and riding, especially without gussets or an action back. It helps to be there when you stretch your arms out. I have longer arms and haven't had the sleeve length really stretch much over the years. I guess it could with extra tight cuffs but too tight I've never liked. Other problems arrise with watches and gloves being able to be zipped up right or bunching of sleeve gussets or layers.

Honestly, its difficult to get everything just right on a jacket. I seem to always be trading one thing for another.

Nice jacket if you ask me and looks great.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    GoAround likes this.
  9. Will Zach

Will Zach A-List Customer

Looks good front and back fit-wise. Some cafe racers have this "short main zipper" feature with about 2-3 inches of leather below the end of the zipper. Notably Freewheelers CR. I don't like it either, but it is a design feature from the old days meant for more comfort when you mount the bike.

Carlos840 and GoAround like this.
  10. Merv

Merv New in Town

I agree. We have to keep in mind, it IS a motorcycle jacket. So, form follows function. There's a reason why it has those design elements.

GoAround and SinSir like this.
  11. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

OP, you are overthinking the situation and IMO your Board Racer fit just fine.

dubpynchon, GoAround and Seb Lucas like this.
  12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Agree. And by the way - shortening a jacket by 1cm is pointless - you won’t really see the difference. When jackets are made, tolerances are within 1 cm. So if you order 64cm, it could be 65 or 63 long when it arrives.

Fanch, GoAround and SinSir like this.
  13. NZJono

NZJono New in Town

If that was my jacket I’d be pretty happy!. Looks good as is.

GoAround likes this.
  14. GoAround

GoAround New in Town

THANK YOU everybody for your helpful replies so far.

I admit, I had a week moment of overthinking this first world problem.

I’ll keep the jacket as it is and just wear it more often!

Thanks again for the psychotherapy. ;-)

Fanch, dubpynchon, Seb Lucas and 3 others like this.