Aero Board Racer fit advice please.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Kuro, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Fonzie

Fonzie One Too Many

Nothing like enabling fellow loungers to get more jackets than they really need... [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Kuro

Kuro Practically Family

Thank you Fanch for your service and sharing your jacket experience.

Fanch likes this.
  3. Kuro

Kuro Practically Family

So, I am in the process of making a final decision. Other than one comment from JacketJunkie about the fit of the jacket from the rear, it seems that overall, no one saw or pointed out a fit issue. I am though, asking about the wrinkles mentioned by JacketJunkie, as I look at other fit pictures, I don't see other jackets fitting that way...

From my perspective, and Carrie, the 42 is the right fit for me if I am looking for that style, and I am. I have learned, from everyone's comments here that what I feel as being tight, will stretch with time and wear, and that those movements I described are not necessarily meant to be done easily in that cut of a jacket.

I also learned that if I did wish for a more comfortable fitting jacket I should consider a different style.

The fitting jacket I tried on was comfortable, until I did things like use a pocket etc. That just made it tight and a fight, but there was no pain. While wearing it, I didn't want to take it off due to any odd sensation, especially in the arm holes, so I am under the opinion that hopefully, this will turn out all right.

Thank you all for your advise, experience and insight.

Wish me luck!

El Marro, BobJ, Fanch and 1 other person like this.
  4. BobJ

BobJ Practically Family

Good luck! :)

Kuro likes this.
  5. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Nick,
    I had the same experience with an Aero A-2 I bought from Thurston Brothers featured stock page. According to the numbers it should have been a perfect fit, but from the first moment I put the jacket on it began to saw painfully into my armpits. I took it off after two minutes and packed it right back into the shipping box that it had arrived in. It was such a beautiful jacket and I really wanted it to fit, but I couldn't apply the "no pain no gain" philosophy to leather jacket break in.

Fanch and nick123 like this.
  6. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

It sure is a tough event.

El Marro likes this.
  7. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

that rear side panels to me is both aesthetically more pleasing than a center seam, and make the jacket more 3 dimensional.

8. Milesdeathescape

Milesdeathescape One of the Regulars

Football armpits will solve your issues there. Also gusseted backs can be made In numerous ways. The Schott Perfecto has this dialed. The back to me in your images doesn’t seem that bad considering you’re not riding in it.

9. Milesdeathescape

Also horses are not killed for leather, they are sourced from Europe after they have been eaten. I love horses too but after knowing they are used for their full potential during life and after death is a grace of Man. Enjoy a horse hide

Kuro likes this.
  10. Kuro

Kuro Practically Family

It is a decision made out of respect for my wife. But I do understand, and have no issues personally otherwise.

11. Milesdeathescape

You should explain to her the process. All saddles are also horsehide. It’s better than elephant that’s for sure. Horses are respected and live long healthy lives.

12. Kuro

Kuro Practically Family

Thank you for that observation. I too have decided I am ok with it. Body shape causes things to fit people differently, and unless I want to make the jacket shorter (I don't, I like the length just above the pockets and covering the belt) or make the bottom of the jacket wider (I don't, as I would like the jacket to remain straight looking, not tapered or flared as much as possible within etc...).

I don't know if there is an option for that from Aero, the football? I do understand what you are referring to. And that feels like it would add material to the jacket in an area that is already snug?

Also, did you see the other link I posted of other views of the jacket being worn, on page 2 I believe? Thanks!

13. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

You can ask that the zipper start closer to the bottom hem if it bothers you that it starts above your beltbuckle.

Kuro likes this.
  14. Kuro

Kuro Practically Family

We are happy that it is getting good use. We are not against it, or anti etc. Riding horses in competition and training them and caring for them during her childhood, her mother has many Chincoteague ponies on her small farm... She is aware of the the uses for the hide. It just is not something she is happy with me wearing. It is very simple, and I respect her request. And yes, that Vincenza is amazing, I would not hesitate recommending it to anyone considering it.

15. Kuro

Kuro Practically Family

At first I assumed that I would want the zipper to go all the way to the bottom of the jacket... And then I tried the fitting jacket, which had the good fortune of the zipper starting just above my belt. It is a bit fussy to zip. However, once I sat down with the jacket zipped, it made perfect sense to me. The jacket stayed straight, did not ride up into my chin, and for a lack of a better term the two tails simply folded up while I was seated, giving good ergonomics without a modern double zipper that I am pretty sure Aero does not offer. Otherwise I would have to have the jacket cut above or at the belt, and I do like the longer profile this offers. I do understand that those tails will crease from wearing seated, an I assume they will stay down even if they are creased. At lease I have not read owners of Board Racers with the ends of the jacket pointing out from sitting with the jackets zipped in the winter etc...

Other observations of note, I thought I would want a bigger zipper, but the fit jacket showed me the choice of zipper was perfect for what I wanted. That was satisfying.

handymike likes this.
  16. Milesdeathescape

It’s not adding material. Football sleeves come from varsity jackets. It’s added seams in a football shape. It loosens the area. Often times they will use a softer sectioned the hide for these areas.

17. Kuro

Kuro Practically Family

That makes sense now that I think about it, I just recall seeing jackets with it having leather football shape on the inside of the jacket, which I assumed would take up room in a tight spot. It probably is not necessary to do that, the inside leather piece. I could of course be making all of this up. And I can ask about it, but I am not sure Aero offers this as an option?

18. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I'm glad you thought about it. I prefer mine 1.5" up from bottom for similar reason.

19. mygar

mygar A-List Customer

After i have been wearing my thedi with 2 way zipper... man they are great. I think any form fitting jacket in the future for me... be tough not having that

handymike likes this.
  20. Milesdeathescape

Yes they do.