Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bronco A-2 (pics)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is the newly launched Bronco A2 jacket by Aero Leather in Scotland. It's in a chrome tanned horse hide, made from mostly jerky cuts. Berry (dark brown) knits and Talon zip.
Size 40, and I'm a WW2 true 40". Nice slim fit, high underarms, designed to be worn more as a shirt type undergarment under bulkier flight clothes, but over a service shirt.
Has a great slim-fit 30s/40s look and feel to it. Leather is light, but tough, so a functional fabric for the confines of an aircraft!
This jacket won't be decorated with any insignia, just a plain Joe A-2.

BroncoAero024.jpg

Anyway, let the photos do the talking.
ww1647-67.jpg

BroncoAero024.jpg

BroncoAero017.jpg

BroncoAero007.jpg

BroncoAero003.jpg

BroncoAero001.jpg

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Paddy- Very nice jacket! Aero seems to have the Bronco down very well:)
I've been considering an Aero myself and trying to decide between a couple different models...and the Bronco looks really great. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions:rolleyes:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Swell looking Bronco Paddy! That looks like one of their best yet (which is saying a lot for Aero!). I like your pose in the photos...very much "Keeping a watchful eye on the home front...";) I think your right on the mark with no insignia..it a beautiful jacket just as is.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bronco A2 is breaking in nicely.

BroncoAero027.jpg
[/IMG]

BroncoAero028.jpg
[/IMG]

As it breaks in, the jerky is coming through, it's getting nice and wrinkled and moulding to my shape. I never like them when they are just out of the box. I like something that develops some character, that's why I love to ride them hard, break them in and have a head turning A2 that you can be proud of.
The seal overspray looks as though it will wear away nicely in points of wear/abrasion to let the undercoat come through, which is something I like to see.
The Bronco seems to be shaping up nicely!! considering I've only had it a fortnight.

Septimus

New in Town
my very next jacket

Hello paddy i'm Septimus an italian citizen living in france near Paris,i was wondering what will be my next jacket ,now I Know,it will be an aero bronco,by now i' m wearing my ELC'S 1940 pattern Irvin jacket.Forgive my poor english,best regards.

Baggers

Practically Family
Err, is that snow in the background?

By the way, nice looking jacket! My Barnstormer is no where near as wrinkled, and I've had mine since November. We need some more rain that I can walk through soon, or coat season will be over and I'll have to wait until next November to start wearing it again!

Cheers!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Irvins, Broncos, and snow...

Baggers, quite right, it's snow as a backdrop for the Bronco pics and it's pretty bracing here right now on the Scottish Borders!

Septimus, welcome to the Lounge and to our Jacket Room here! I'm sure you are enjoying the ELC 1940 Irvin! they make a great copy of that jacket, probably the best on the market currently. I have a 1942 model, and getting to wear it a lot this weather. Certainly try out the Bronco, but if you go through Aero, discuss the different hides they use too! Good Luck.

Hope you have a great time as a member here!

Ciao!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Leather specs on the Aero Bronco A-2 (WWII jacket)

I've been bombarded with PM's, so just to answer most of them on one fell swoop.

The leather hide is FQHH (Front Quarter Horse Hide - the real kick ass, tough end of the horse). But unlike the Aero BARNSTORMER (the double breasted jacket similar to ones worn by WW1 pilots or vintage Bugatti drivers) that is really heavy with a bullet-proof feel to it, this FQHH has been shaved in the process to create a lightweight leather similar to the original WWII A-2 weight specs.

The colour is a lighter seal (or very dark brown, whatever way you look at it), chrome dyed overspray which allows the lighter reddy-brown undercoat to come through on points of abrasion.

I specified that most of my cuts would be jerky, just to give much more character, as I'm not into smooth all over looks. The knits are BERRY in colour (or dark brown for those who find that term misleading).

Olive green thread to finish off the jacket.

Yes, a FQHH A-2 in the weight and feel of an original 3 oz weight A-2. Very nice, is an understatement. Personally, I think this hide would look FANTASTIC on an A-1 jacket!!

Contact AMANDA or WILL at AERO for hide samples if you are taken by it.

STHill

One of the Regulars
Paddy, I'd be interested in your comments on the fit and cut of the Bronco vs. the standard Aero. All around, but specifically shoulder width and arm length. I have a size 40, standard Aero, so I'm familiar with how it is cut.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hi Paddy and All !

My first post on here ! I never knew I would find a wealth of knowledge on A2 jackets here, mostly posted by you.

That's a great looking jacket from Aero, nicely worn in too I must say !

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome on board Angel.

Good to see another UK member here Angel. If we manage another London Dinner for next year, then I can see us having more UK members. Hope you find our little Lounge comfortable, informative and above all, fun!!:cheers1:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bronco cut versus Aero standard A2 (Reflections)

STHill said:
Paddy, I'd be interested in your comments on the fit and cut of the Bronco vs. the standard Aero. All around, but specifically shoulder width and arm length. I have a size 40, standard Aero, so I'm familiar with how it is cut.

Bronco tends to run a tad longer in the body. I don't like this, but that's my personal preference, plus I am short in my body torso (but make up for it with my lovely Ava Gardner long legs!!).

Therefore, I ask for the body to be made shorter, because I like the look of it that way (just has more of a 30s look to my eye). I also request that it's a good slim fit (the Bronco is meant to be a bit trimmer in the body fit than the Aero anyway) and thankfully my body is such that I can carry that off. But it wouldn't work on a torso that is carrying a bit of spare weight (I would advise going for an Eastman if that were the case, as they tend to be abit fuller), just would look like meat in a sausage skin (because it's a trim design, that's all).

Bear in mind, that I wear this jacket as if it were a 'shirt.' I don't wear it like a modern jacket. The A2 is a summer weight flying jacket (summer as in places like the deep south or California summer!) and that's how I wear it. So, in the harsh Scottish winter months right now, I wear it over a normal shirt, but under a heavier jacket, like an Irvin sheepskin, or even my Barnstormer!

Again, this is subjective and personal to me, but an A2 with a jumper/jersey underneath just doesn't do it for me, and this one and it's fit would not allow it.

Marv

A-List Customer
Aero Bronco A2

Has anyone got an Aero leather Bronco A2 repro in HH and if so could you give me a quick run down on the jacket.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto