Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero bronco vs 38-1711-P

slightseconds

New in Town
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows the differences in fit between these two contracts? I have a bronco on order but may switch over if the 38-1711-p is slimmer. I'm 5ft 9 and 140 pounds with a 36" chest and I'm concerned the bronco will come up big even in a size 36.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have no personal experience with the 38-1711-P, although I think @Sloan1874 does. Furthermore, he is closer to your size than I am, so hopefully he will respond with his input. As I recall, the 38-1711-P has a stand collar and a hookless zipper, both unlike the Bronco that might be a tad longer in the body than the 38-1711-P.

Generally I wear a size 42 long (I am 6'2" and ~185 lbs), at least with Aero Cafe Racer and 1930's half belt jackets. I used to have an Aero Bronco in size 44 that was a snug fit to the extent I couldn't have sized down to a 42 Aero Bronco and could have even worn a 46 Aero Bronco. How that might translate to your situation, I couldn't say.

Since you live in London, maybe you could take a day trip to Galashiels to try on their A-2's while there. Otherwise, I suspect you'll get your best information on sizing from Aero, perhaps pose your questions to Denny Calder who was quite helpful to me when I ordered a Sheene which is simply a Cafe Racer with a Highwayman collar.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
From memory, both are early-contract, slim-fitting jackets, so you'll probably find yourself going up a size to get a comfortable fit around the arms. I have a No Name 1756 which I went up a size to get it right. The Bronco has a longer 'tubular' body, which is very close in fit to the original contract. The problem with A-2s on the whole is that each contract has its own particular quirks of fit and sizing, so you absolutely have to speak to Holly or Denny otherwise you could end up with something that will saw away at your arm pits until you cave and sell it, or swamp you like a Top Gun jacket (the latter is just as bad in my book).

Brettafett

One Too Many
+1 Sloane

I have had a few Aeros... My first Bronco was a stunner. I went with my normal size (40, at 5'10 72kgs, trim) and it was a touch snug in the body, but still comfy, just needed longer arms. The second one, years later was way off. Weird.
I do like the 1756 though, and from what I have read and discussed with Aero, one would need to upsize for that one.

Say, Sloane, still waiting for another fit pic with the collar flat ;)
ps is it a comfy A-2, as far as A-2s go? Based on your comment about 'sawing', which I understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana