Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cafe Racer Jacket: heavy horsehide or medium weight?

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Anyone have an Aero cafe racer in heavy horsehide? Do you like it? It is too thick for riding and wearing out on the town? I have a Vanson Lightning for serious riding and my Aero would only be for short trips around town and mainly for wearing off the bike. Here is the jacket that I was thinking of buying:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=110

Since Aero can customize for no extra price, I would be interested to hear about any special touches you guys might have thought about when ordering your jackets from Aero.

I am debating getting this jacket instead:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=53

It is a mid-weight horsehide, rather than the really heavy stuff. It might be better for me since I will be wearing it off the bike more than riding with it on all the time.

Does the mid-weight horsehide get the same patina and age as well? Does it fit and break in as well?

Generally speaking, do you find the cafe racer style collar to be annoying or uncomfortable for everyday wear? That might be a consideration for me, since this jacket costs the same as two nice ones. I will want to wear it a lot.

I just sold my cafe racer schott horsehide jacket. The collar was uncomfortable, until I broke it in with some goatskin gloves by manhandling it for an hour or so. It fit better after that.

One last thought: My elbows while riding, and my shoulders. It's an agonizing decision: heavy horsehide that is better on the bike, or medium-weight horsehide that is better off the bike. Do you think extra horsehide patches on the elbows on a medium weight jacket would ruin the look? Schott makes a "vintage" brown leather jacket with elbow patches. They don't look too oppressive to me.

Has anyone seen an Aero with quilted leather on the shoulders and the elbows? I guess quilted areas offer a little more "padding" when falling off the bike onto pavement. I know that armor is always best when riding, but for riding near my house in some fun neighborhoods, I would probably risk wearing the Aero pretty often. After researching jackets for the past few weeks, I can't avoid the mystique and beauty of the Aero. Since I now am addicted to horsehide instead of bovine leathers, I think an Aero jacket will be the way to go. I like vintage looking jackets, for sure.

Last edited:

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
If I'm up Seattle-way, I will stop in fer a look-see. It would be really valuable at the very least, to actually try on an Aero before ordering a custom made one from Scotland.And who knows, maybe a rack jack would actually fit. Doubtful, but worth a shot. I would be curious to see how the heavy horsehide feels.

Thanks for the tip, Hoosier. Two fingers out your way.

Hammer

Last edited:

caffeinated

New in Town
I wear my Insurrection FQHH Aero Cafe Racer on the bike and off. It is great on the bike but almost too heavy for off the bike... almost. The heavy horsehide binds at the elbows when I hold my phone to my ear, and it has no "drape" to it when I sit. I mean it tries to maintain it's shape rather than mould to the chair or car seat. I expect it to break in over the years and if you plan to invest years in the jacket then it might be worth it to you. I think it will be to me.

I plan to get a Highwayman in due time, and it will be in mid-weight because it will be for casual wear, not riding. I'm considering oil-pull, if they make it in mid, because I hear it has a great feel and breaks in quickly but still has the horsehide characteristics.

I personally don't like the quilted or doubled elbows, but to each his own. I'll just say that I don't think adding those features would make the jacket safer in a crash. From what I hear, even the mid-weight HH is plenty thick for abrasion resistance, and no amount of quilting is going to be as good as armor designed for impact resistance. You have to choose, lol.

The Insurrection mods to the jacket are adding an inch to the sleeves and body and leather facing around the inside hem. They also do the "action back" differently, much smaller than a regular Aero.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Hammerdown, I live near you, and I work in Tualatin. If you wanted to meet up some time, I would be happy to let you check out my Aero Ace Half Belt. I would choose the heavy horsehide perosnally (that's what I have), but I like a heavy jacket.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
you might consider goat its lightweight drapes nice and is tough. i have several aeros and find myself always wearing the goat. Dont feel like Frankenstien when I wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany