Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero cafe racer. Sizing and shower treatment advice

johanhej

Familiar Face
Been looking at buying an Aero cafe racer for quite some time. Was a bit put off last spring by the delivery time and didn't get around to order one.

Now I've come across a second hand size 40, which might be the correct jacket for me, but I need some input from you guys. I'm 183.5 cm tall, weighing something like 75-76kg and my chest measurement relaxed is like 38". According to my measurements I could probably go with either a 38 for a really snug fit, or a 40 with a more relaxed fit with option for layering.

The second 40 which popped up seems to have only 21" pit to pit, which sounds pretty much ideal for a jacket to me, judging from previous experiences. Arm length and back length seems to be right too. Shoulder measurement might be correct. I have fairly narrow shoulders so ideally I'd like something like 17.5" or so from top of seam to seam.

Do you guys have any advice on sizing for the Cafe Racer? Do you think the 40 would be large for my frame?

I heard of people doing shower treatment to shrink it slightly. Could this be an option for me with the size 40 jacket? I have no idea if it has been given a shower treatment previously.

How big are you guys wearing size 38 or 40?

Really hoping for some input here. Chasing a grail jacket is exhausting :). Wish you all a good weekend!

mendelboaz

One Too Many
My chest measures 41", I'm 5'9" (173cm) and weigh 152lbs (69kg). I wear a size 38 in my Aero J106, Aero Zip Sleeve Highwayman, Vanson Model B and Schott 618 Perfecto. I also just fit into a Schott 641HH in size 36. The J106 is supposed to be closer fitting than the cafe racer, so for a snug fit I'd recommend a 38. For a skintight fit I'd wear a 36 (though this would be much too tight for many people). I'd say go 38, you'd still be able to squeeze in a sweater if you'd want. Definitely get a jacket with shoulder gussets or a semi bi-swing back.

johanhej

Familiar Face
Okay, thanks for your input. I too think a 38 standard is probably a good fit. A standard 38 is like ~21 inches pit to pit.

However, I'm really confused. The jacket I'm looking really do seem to have a 21 inch chest at size 40. Maybe it's a slightly slimmed down standard 40. This is probably not a bad thing, considering my length is likely on the tall side for a 38.

The jacket does have a shoulder measurement of 18.5-19 inches measured front though. This is likely too much for me (cursed with narrow shoulders sucks!!!!).

What I'm thinking is: Would it be possible to buy this used jacket, and give it a sever shower treatment hoping for the shoulders to slim down? Can I expect any kind of shrinkage?

Any advice is appreciated :)

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I have no experience with shower treatments but I don't think you'll end up shrinking the jacket. Water will get the jacket wet, making it easier for the jacket to mould to your shape. Because of the wrinkling/creasing of the leather, the jacket might end up being shorter (this mainly the case with applying this technique to sleeves). But with shoulders, I think all you're going to end up getting is sagging shoulders which might make the sleeves appear too long. Like I said, I have no experience but this is what I think is going to happen.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a brown Aero FQHH Cafe Racer that is a little too big for me, I tried the hot water method (twice) and it didn't do anything for shrinking the jacket. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Its now relegated to the coldest temperatures and only worn with a few layers underneath.

Damo

A-List Customer
I'd go for it depending on the price of the size 40 aero. If its a good price might be worth trying it out. I don't have much experience but from you said its 21' pit to pit so a difference of only 4 inches. Is your 38' chest measurement with just a tee shirt on?

I'm about to take a leap of faith on a jacket off of eBay its not the perfect size but I think it will look fine. Like I said for me if the price is right I would do it.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I'd go for it depending on the price of the size 40 aero. If its a good price might be worth trying it out. I don't have much experience but from you said its 21' pit to pit so a difference of only 4 inches. Is your 38' chest measurement with just a tee shirt on?

I'm about to take a leap of faith on a jacket off of eBay its not the perfect size but I think it will look fine. Like I said for me if the price is right I would do it.

With a 38" chest measurement, a 21" pit to pit is perfect. Snug, not tight, not loose, room for layering.

Damien, what jacket are you getting off of eBay? :D

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
i'am 38 chest and my Schott 141 Cafe Racer 38 is perfect to me (21 ptp), i wear it with a shirt + tshirt + merino wool sweater eventually (and i have the zip out lining).
I also have an ELC Hartmann and a ELMC Californian both in size 40 (both 21 ptp) and i wear them with a shirt + tshirt and eventually a merino wool suiter.
The shoulder width is also important, these 3 jacket have the same shoulder width (18).
The HWT could help to reduce the ptp (- 0.5 ') but be careful with it (many post here about it).
Cheers,
F68

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
On their cafe racer you really need to worry about the waist more than the chest. They're super slim in the waist. I wear a size 38 hwymn but had to size up to a 42 in the cafe racer just to get the right fit in the waist, and I'm not chunky around the middle by any means

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Huh. According to Wade from Insurrection, the J106 is slimmer fitting than the cafe racer. I wear a 38 in the HWM (tapered to a 36 at the waist), and I wear a 38 in the J106 as well and I feel I could have worn a 36. But then again, I'm a big fan of tight fitting jackets. I guess it comes down to preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112