Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Dustbowl - CXL FQHH Brown - Fit / Impressions / Thoughts

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Greetings!

Background​

On a cold snowy day in Estonia my first Aero jacket arrived.
I've been planning (and continue to do so) to buy my first custom "proper" jacket, mainly considering Simmons Bilt and Aero, since I like that kind of style / patterns / leather choices.
Recently I managed to snag a used Aero Dustbowl from Germany for 400eu shipping included.
The measurements were a few centimeters off here and there from what I consider ideal, but in general it was pretty close so I decided that at worst it will be a useful learning experiences + resell. Seems I might be keeping it, at least for now.
Used for ~6months according to the seller. Seem to be in very good condition.
Here it is!

Leather​

Don't really know for sure, but from what I've seen in photos while doing my research it seems to be the Horween Chromexcel front quarter horse hide in color brown. Also seems to be the usual heavier kind rather than the thinner ones that have been an option recently.
Incredible color and hand/feel. Exactly what I think is ideal. Slightly wet / oily / waxy. Very smooth. Full-aniline, scratches easily. "Naked", not covered in pigment. But it is heavier than what I would order myself, that's for sure. I don't have much experience, but it's even a bit silly/funny how thick and heavy it is. Passes the "stands up on it's own" test too. Seems to be quite broken in, but not fully I guess. At least it is not as stiff as a few new heavy jackets that I felt in a few shops while visiting Berlin.

Model​

From what I understand It's a 30s half belt with slightly larger front dip, maybe roomier arms, two gussets on the back for mobility. Very much "multi-panel" style to express the hard times of that decade and the leather shortage. Lot's of stitching rather than the one-piece everything so often desired by leather jacket enthusiasts. Great to have the buckles at the waist, my body type really benefits from it. Two inner pockets, but I guess that's a custom request rather than standard.

Lining​

Don't really know. Seems like wool tartan in the body, cotton drill in the sleeves and maybe moleskin in the hand warmers and inner pockets.

Fit​

Main specs:
Pit-to-pit width: 53-54 cm
Bottom hem width: 47-48 cm
Shoulder width: 44-45 cm
Sleeve length: 62-63 cm
Back length: 63-64 cm

My body measurements for reference (T-shirt + sweater):
172cm height / 55-57kg weight
Shoulder : ~44cm (measured bone to bone across slightly over upper back)
Chest expanded: ~92cm
Waist: ~76cm
Hem: ~85cm (measured over the belt)
Back length: ~56cm (measured from the bigger neck bone to tail bone)
Arm: ~66cm (measured from shoulder bone to around 1st knuckle bone)

Fits pretty well in terms of comfort, but both arms and upper part of the back have way too much room. It's quite stiff and kind of has it's own idea of how to relate to my body, doesn't really "drape" as much as thinner/softer leather would.

Main concern is definitely the chest restriction when zipped up. Not sure if it's a pit to pit measurement thing or rather a armhole height thing. When I throw my arms backward the tension stops me around where the chest seam is. Not a move that I perform too often so not a big deal. But that's the only place where I would say that my movement is noticeably restricted.

Personally I would take of an inch or so from the body length, currently the back covers my jean back pocket openings. Ideally I want something that would slightly expose my front pocket openings, but still definitely cover my belt. Back length on this one is ~64cm. I would go for ~60-61cm if I end up ordering custom.

The back gussets work amazingly well, I'm surprised how freely I can "hug".

Sleeve length is spot on for my taste, around 62cm.

At current body length the hem width is very nice, but on a few cm shorter body I could take of 1-2cm off the hem width as well.

I would like the arm holes to be higher / smaller for sure. Then smaller pit to pit would work very well as well. Guess I would need around 49-50cm pit to pit.

Sleeve width, especially at the bicep area is pretty crazy, could fit both of my arms in there. Noticeable when the arm is straight, but when I bent it works very nicely to keep the cuff from riding up too much. Guess that's part of the design / purpose for having such roomy arms, especially at that area. But with higher/smaller arm holes that would not be so necessary and the sleeves could be narrow as well I guess?

Shoulders are pretty good at 44cm straight seem to seem. Ideally would be around 43cm I guess.

Final thoughts​

If I take this jacket as a starting point and order a custom one (assuming similar cut), I would go for a lighter batch of the same or very similar leather, go for a slightly cleaner model (the default 30s half belt or an "August") in terms of panel configuration, 3-4cm off body length, 1-2cm off hem width, higher arm holes and 3-4cm smaller pit to pit, slimmer sleeves.
For this one - gorgeous jacket, amazing leather, but I'll be selling it. Back to my custom order planning!

Lots of photos incoming, as that tells the story better than words I guess.

Last edited:

TartuWolf

Practically Family

Shirt + Vest unzipped​

PXL_20221218_102833053.jpg

PXL_20221218_102846466.jpg

PXL_20221218_102852773.jpg

PXL_20221218_102902487.jpg

Shirt + Vest zipped up​

PXL_20221218_102922922.jpg

PXL_20221218_102929808.jpg

PXL_20221218_102943186.jpg

PXL_20221218_102958163.jpg

PXL_20221218_103019133.jpg

PXL_20221218_103103890.jpg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Nice write up. Thank you very much!

Jacket/Leather looks good enough to eat. Not a jacket you see too often, but sure a great model. Like the front more than the back, but that’s just me.

Fit is ok to me, but it could loose an inch or so in length. Nothing intolerable though. Don’t go larger in the chest/shoulder area. If you want a jacket to do aerobics in, there’s plenty of non-leather options around. ;)

A nice find for a very decent price, IMO.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
This jacket is possibly defective and or made buy an apprentice …in any case it’s the wrong size for you… layering won’t make it rite either.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure it's the lens distortion and camera angle in the photos making a minor issue look worse than it is, but that hat looks a bit too large for you.

Otherwise, I think the jacket looks good.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@TREEMAN Why do you think it might be defective?
Yeah the 53-54 pit to pit and the back design makes it seem very roomy and bulky in the upper back area. I also think it is a bit too big for me at that area. Quite comfortable though.
Will most likely put it up for sale once I get the one I'm planning to order, but I am planning to wear it for a while before I get that one.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Thanks for the inputs everyone. Very hard for me to find any clothes in life that are not too big for me and this seems to be the case as well. Will put this one up for sale and continue planning my custom order. Definitely got some useful info from this one, so it was not a complete waste. Hopefully someone will be interested in buying it and it will fit that person better. Gorgeous jacket. PM if interested.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
@TREEMAN Why do you think it might be defective?
Yeah the 53-54 pit to pit and the back design makes it seem very roomy and bulky in the upper back area. I also think it is a bit too big for me at that area. Quite comfortable though.
Will most likely put it up for sale once I get the one I'm planning to order, but I am planning to wear it for a while before I get that one.
Arms are way too big....chest too small...

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
@Guppy
Regarding the hat - you mean the brim or the crown being too large? In terms of fit it fits perfectly.

Just... the whole thing. It seems like you have a slim build, and the hat is as wide as your shoulders. It makes you seem top-heavy, like a bobble-head doll. I have to believe it's the lens and angle creating an illusion exaggerating the proportions.

1671458855782.png

I don't think it's too big but I don't think it fits you as well as it should. It's maybe too long, I'm not sure. It looks bulky and too big but also somehow fits relatively okay at places. Strange... Could be the overall dad-ness of all Aero jackets that just doesn't work for you. Anyway, it doesn't look bad, you can wear it but it's not a jacket made for you. I personally would sell it and look further. Japanese makers might be your best bet; I think a RMC or something will fit you a lot better & might just be what you're after, leather-wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ