Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Dustbowl - CXL FQHH Brown - Fit / Impressions / Thoughts

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@TartuWolf , you seem to be quite thorough, so maybe you already shared your height/weight, but if you didn't, please do; it would help us make recommendations. Some styles are boxy and rarely look good on slim guys, some (as Monitor mentioned, Japanese, but also other) can look terrific on slim frames.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Monitor
Same thought here, sell it and find something that works better. Will still stick to Aero/SB for now. I'm pretty sure a slimmer Aero model would work much better. Main targets are Hooch Hauler and Moonshiner. With SB it seems that I can dictate the measurements more, so I think I could manage to order a well fitting Pacific or Klondike.
@Will Zach
I'll add my body measurements for reference to the original post in the FIT section.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The premier cut will work better for you. It's basically the same high arm hole, slim sleeves like the Japanese branded jackets.

Hooch Hauler and Board Racers also belong in this high arm hole/slim sleeves group.

You can ask for a Moonshiner in Hooch Hauler slim cut. Or a customized STF Bootlegger with butons, delete chest pocket and single yoke action back like the Moonshiner. Basically a STF Moonshiner. Best to email Aero and find out how to go about that custom. The standard Moonshiner has wider upper sleeves and lower arm holes like the Dustbowl jacket you've got now.

Fit pics are best when the selfie stick stand is place about 4' away or just far enough so the lens can get a full head to toe length, you can crop afterwards. I made the mistake of placing the camera too close to save on cropping time but porportion is distorted at such short distance, like a convex parking mirror.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
36" (92cm) expanded chest circumference is pretty slim build. I am sure guys who own Aero can advise which styles fit your build the best.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
As much as I talked to Aero so far I got this info in terms of sizing regarding the 4 main models that I'm interested in:
The Hooch Hauler is a very slim cut, with a taper to the waist. The Bootlegger is more relaxed, but also with a taper.

The Moonshiner is the slimmest cut of the two(Moonshiner vs Maxwell), I would suggest a size 36” in this cut to allow a comfortable fit over your sweater. The Maxwell you could go for a 34” – no smaller to allow for your sweater. Generally, we don’t advise sizing too slim in a button front style as it’ll strain the buttons and cause pulling if worn too small.

The Hooch Hauler, again I would suggest a 36” for use over your sweater as this is very slim cut with high and narrow armholes and sleeves. The Bootlegger is a 1950s cut, so relaxed fit at the shoulders/chest, I would say a size 34” here but it wouldn’t be as slim as the Hooch Hauler.

A 36” Hooch Hauler would come with an approx. 20” pit to pit – so around 50cm, for your reference.

Moonshiner would have the next highest/slimmest armhole and sleeve, then the Maxwell which would be more relaxed with the Bootlegger the lowest/widest.

The only jacket we had to measure was a size 40” Maxwell which is – Pit 57cm, stomach 52cm, hem 51cm . This is with side cinches open.
The 40 Maxwell translates to Pit 100% - Stomach 91% - Hem 90% proportions, which is pretty neat for what I though would be a straight/boxy work coat by default. Wonder if these proportions are kept in all sizes?

This makes me narrow it down to mainly the Hooch Hauler and the Moonshiner. I'll also ask if there is a STF version of the Moonshiner with narrower sleeves like they have a STF bootlegger.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
TartuWolf - I like seeing anyone younger than myself interested in leather jackets. So in no way should you take any of the constructive feedback here from any of us as discouraging. It's great you love these jackets & hats and I hope you are able to find that perfect jacket soon.

I find yours to fit a whole lot better than any of my first 12 or so did. I never had a leather jacket till my first year in college, which was ~ 1990, and trust me those massively oversized jackets looked like a tent on my body. I was also quite skinny then - probalby a "38 Long" if such a thing existed, would have been perfect for me. Now I take a 44 long overall pretty standard.

Point is, your jacket looks fine. 98% of the rest of people you will encouter will only say "Nice jacket" and pay little if any attention to it. Keep it till you get your "grail" jacket. You won't loose money by keeping it till then, unless you need to sell it to support the making of the new one. I for one like this style a lot, but agree it may be a little busy overall. And, I like that hat too! Keep it up... :)

Pandemic

One Too Many
The biggest issue I see with that Dustbowl is that the shoulders are too wide and the sleeves also wide - there’s just way too much excess leather hanging off you at the back.

I think a well fitted Hooch Hauler will look stunning on you. Also matches the whole vintage western vibe you’ve got there.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Can you clarify what do you mean by the "premier range"? These?
1671567336923.png

If so then none of these models really attract me. Would still be aiming mainly at the Hooch Hauler or slimmed down Moonshiner / Maxwell if I do end up insisting on the button up ones.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 474627
If so then none of these models really attract me. Would still be aiming mainly at the Hooch Hauler or slimmed down Moonshiner / Maxwell if I do end up insisting on the button up ones.
If you haven't already, look for pictures of these models being worn. They often look better than the catalog pictures.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 474627

While the Hooch Hauler is not specifically titled „Premier“, it is a very slim fitted design as well, so it may work for you - except a Schott would probably be a better buy (sorry couldn‘t resist XD).

The Dustbowler you posted pictures of here is a fit you could easily get away with in a car coat. Like it is not a bad fit per se. It’s just that for the style that it is, it fits you way too long and too roomy. The picture another member posted of him wearing it shows the drastic difference in how this style is supposed to fit quite well. If you like a comfy fit to layer, switch to a car coat style. If you want to move forward with a half-belt, it should probably be 48-50cm pit to pit and 5-10cm shorter. In other words, two sizes down. If you insist on it being an Aero, you should look for pictures of the Premier HWM imho, it has a nice clean look, not as busy as most of these halfbelts.

Also, it is great to see young people around, I joined here when I was in my early twenties and I‘m still one of the younger folk around here, so welcome! If you want my best advice after my 10 year learning experience and plenty of ill-invested money into this hobby: buy a Vanson Enfield (size 34 for you would be ideal) and never look back.

Last edited:

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@MrProper
Will search out and check it out. But all of them are a center zip and I'm leaning more towards a minimalist cross-zip or a short center button.

@Pandemic
I'm also doubting if the pattern would work for me, but I will know better if I get the measurements for a size 34 from Aero.
I've seen Mr. Pandas button up HH, looks amazing, might consider it as an option too. Although I would really need to nail down how much different it would be from a Moonshiner with higher/narrower armholes and sleeves.

@jacketjunkie
Yes, according to Holly from Aero HH is most likely the slimmest fitting one from the main 4 models that I'm interested in. At least in terms of armhole height for sure.

I always on a lookout for a Schott, but have never seen one that I would like (most of them are either busy cross-zips with epaulets, bet's and snap pockets or rather boring center zips) and one that would actually fit me. And I'm not a fan of the lining at all as much as I've seen. Guess I simply haven't been lucky yet.

Yes, this Dustbowl is too long and too roomy and it is already up for sale. The other member wearing it does look much much better in his.
Not a fan of the premier HWM mainly because of where the side adjusters are - I would MUCH prefer them to be at the waist, not the hem.

In terms of measurements my current understanding (which is still getting dialed in / changes slightly) is that a perfect jacket would look something like this:
Chest: 49-50 cm
Waist and hem: 44-45 cm
Shoulder: 43-45 cm
Sleeve 62 cm
Back length: 59-60 cm
+ High/narrow armholes and slim sleeves

Talking about Vanson Enfield..
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...cke-chopperjacke-motorrad/2282790697-230-2604
Can get this for ~250eu
But the measurements would still be off, especially the back length and bottom hem width.
This is what I got from the seller:
Armpit to armpit: 50cm
Bottom hem: 50cm
Shoulder: 45cm
Sleeve: 65cm
Back length: 63cm

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
@MrProper
Will search out and check it out. But all of them are a center zip and I'm leaning more towards a minimalist cross-zip or a short center button.

@Pandemic
I'm also doubting if the pattern would work for me, but I will know better if I get the measurements for a size 34 from Aero.
I've seen Mr. Pandas button up HH, looks amazing, might consider it as an option too. Although I would really need to nail down how much different it would be from a Moonshiner with higher/narrower armholes and sleeves.

@jacketjunkie
Yes, according to Holly from Aero HH is most likely the slimmest fitting one from the main 4 models that I'm interested in. At least in terms of armhole height for sure.

I always on a lookout for a Schott, but have never seen one that I would like (most of them are either busy cross-zips with epaulets, bet's and snap pockets or rather boring center zips) and one that would actually fit me. And I'm not a fan of the lining at all as much as I've seen. Guess I simply haven't been lucky yet.

Yes, this Dustbowl is too long and too roomy and it is already up for sale. The other member wearing it does look much much better in his.
Not a fan of the premier HWM mainly because of where the side adjusters are - I would MUCH prefer them to be at the waist, not the hem.

In terms of measurements my current understanding (which is still getting dialed in / changes slightly) is that a perfect jacket would look something like this:
Chest: 49-50 cm
Waist and hem: 44-45 cm
Shoulder: 43-45 cm
Sleeve 62 cm
Back length: 59-60 cm
+ High/narrow armholes and slim sleeves

Talking about Vanson Enfield..
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...cke-chopperjacke-motorrad/2282790697-230-2604
Can get this for ~250eu
But the measurements would still be off, especially the back length and bottom hem width.
This is what I got from the seller:
Armpit to armpit: 50cm
Bottom hem: 50cm
Shoulder: 45cm
Sleeve: 65cm
Back length: 63cm
Seller atleast got the pit to pit wrong. I own the Enfield/Model B pattern in all sizes from 36-40 and the 36 has like 53cm pit to pit. You definitely need a 34. The jacket is a great deal but won‘t work out for you.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Pit to pit seems to be one of those things that sellers get consistently wrong if they are not experienced.
Even this Dustbowl was listed as 50 chest, while in reality it is a 53-54.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 474627

The Premier is the 1930s pattern block, also called STF due to its name by Aero Japan though that’s somewhat misleading. It is certainly a nice, neat fit. But if you wear it TTS you will only be able to wear a thin sweater underneath at most. If you go one up, it will still not look too big, so you have some flexibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko