Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Dustbowl Fit Help!!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Help me make my modified Dustbowl fit better!!

It's going back because of an error in the cut, so I have one more opportunity to get it right

Im thinking an extra half inch in sleeves, and half or 3/4ths inch in length, and maybe (just maybe) size down from a 42 to a 40.

What do you guys think?

DSCN8906.jpg

DSCN8912.jpg

DSCN8913.jpg

DSCN8914.jpg

DSCN8915.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
Nice to see a second one in the flesh after Sloan's. I have one on order and decided that tighter is righter after trying on a 38 and 40.

I think your lengths are fine, but would probably go down a size.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I second that. Or maybe two sizes. I would positively hate a short jacket that sits so loose at the hem.

simonc

Practically Family
Bro to be fair it doesn't look like you've pulled in the halfbelt straps, but I can't see completely, so I'm guessing as there is no "draw" in the waist, the sleeves are fine, the shoulders look a little big, so in short, if you can return it and size down one do it. Or if you are mad for a fitted jacket, go the 30's half belt with say the cropduster back, then the sleeves will be a little more fitted too. It's essentially the same jacket at the front. My thoughts.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Just remember that when going down a size, all measures changes. So keep that in mind. (like, minus 0.5" somewhere might even be the correct measure on the smaller size....or...if +1" is right now, it might be +1-2" on the smaller size) so I would be careful and get all the measures of the smaller size.

One note of caution is also that Aero have a 0.5" tolerance that can go either way of what you order so keep that in mind. I ordered my jacket to be minumum 24.5" in the back and that was on the edge.....and it came out 24" so it feels a little short.

Its a really cool jacket btw.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
We need pics with the belts pulled in. My DB's a 38 and with the straps loose it's not a great fit, but once pulled tight it's fine.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
What's your true chest measurement and height?

Yes if he gave them his measurements accurately it should fit better than that. Having said that I've given my measurements to them accurately and had badly fitting jackets sent.

Both under the previous and current regime.

too big all over. Shoulders, chest, waist and hips are too big for you. Drawing in the straps won't do much for that amount of excess at the hip. Arm length looks fine. For me the body length would be fine, too, but I wear trousers higher than that.

Keeping in mind that apparently it's supposed to be a blousy fit, the current jacket does not look good. The fit is just too big. I would drop a size while maintaining the arm length.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'd add half-an-inch to allow for wrinkling to get you to the length you have, which as BK says is fine. As it is, a few months and those sleeves are likely to head north.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Mr Humphrie's cuffs look just fine to me!:D But when I ordered my LHB, they added 0.5" on to the sleeves to the length I wanted them to be, so it was a little long initially, but after about a month or so - including one walk home in torrential rain - they were right on the nail. Those sleeves wrinkle big-time!

wdw

One Too Many
I've never understood why that's not built in.

Mind you, the Dustbowl's sleeves are longer than usual so I didn't ask for any extra.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I know that you ordered directly through Aero, but, since you live close by, feel free to come on in this weekend to try on some 38s and 40s in Aero's Dustbowl, Sunburst, and 1930s Half Belt jackets (they all fit the same). You'll be able to try 38s and 40s in a variety of sleeve and body lengths and decide what's perfect for you... We're open 12-6 today, 12-6 tomorrow, and 12-4 on Sunday.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
What she said!!!!! As for "fit" suggestions I have none as my body shape and size is the exact OPPOSITE of yours.. LOL. I've no experience with trim fitting Aeros. If the fellahs here can't sort you out a trip to Carrie just might! She could also save you the angst (and expense) of shipping and waiting AGAIN from dear ole Scotland!

Worf

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Carrie, you have no idea how much I'm regretting not going through you guys.

The whole thing started with the purchase of one of their pre-production sample jackets from their sale page back in the spring, but due to a mixup they ended up selling it to someone else. We worked out a pricing agreement for a MTO version and here I am... In the end, this is going to cost me a lot more time, money and aspirin than had I just gone with the folks in my own backyard. Lesson learned. That's not in any way meant to be a knock at the good folks Aero; they have been very courteous and patient with me.

For reference; I'm 5'10", with a true chest of 41" and a true waist of 36" (depending on my beer intake :D ). I specifically did not request a jacket size because I figured I'd get it wrong and that they'd know based off my measurements. However, I did specify sleeve length of 25.5" and jacket length of 24.5". They ended up making this with 24 7/8" sleeves and 24" length, which is why they're agreeable to taking a return. In fact, Rachel advised me of the mixup ahead of shipping it, but offered me the jacket at no extra cost (of what I initially paid on the pre-prod jacket). She said that they'd take a return at my request. Given the lapse in time and the opportunity to save some coin I took the gamble. However, at approx $80 shipping each way, I am feeling the sting of a bad bet

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Pre-try on is always helpful. I'm not clear on the fit of that particular model (which makes a difference - my highwayman is definitely very much boxier than my 30s Halfbelt, both 42s, both fit right, just different cut), but I'd definitely say you're a size up on what you should be there. I'm in concord with the Baron on length - I'd suggest adding at least an extra two inches to the height of your trousers rather than length to the jacket. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points