Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Gabardine lining - is this option still available ?

Edward

Bartender
Aero is out of green gabardine, largely I think due to the "JanSolo-rush effect". All they have left is a very bright red gabardine, which sounds of limited sitability. Sir J

My understanding is that the red is the same stuff, just a different colour. Insurrection use it in their special order Aeros, I believe. I imagine it works fine, but probably not to everyone's taste.

Aero is out of green gabardine, largely I think due to the "JanSolo-rush effect". All they have left is a very bright red gabardine, which sounds of limited sitability. Sir J

I'm guessing they are tired of folks special ordering it. I can't believe it isn't being produced somewhere in the world.

One benefit of red...you can turn your jacket inside out to call for help if lost in the wilderness. :D

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Thanks Jan,
I just received an email from Amanda stating the same. I was curious because I had recently visited a local shop that told me there would be an extra charge for the throat latch, sleeves, body and cuffs. But, would not produce a price break down. Thanks for the clarification. Does Amanda at Aero know you as JanSolo? I described your jacket in my email to her. Sure would make it easier if she knew that they had already made a similar jacket. It appears that I am on my way to ordering a "JanSolo" Aero 1930's Halfbelt.
Thanks,
Layne

Now it is a collectors item! Unobtainable!

Lear

One of the Regulars
Pity green gabardine is no longer an option. It's a harder, smoother, tighter woven fabric than the standard lining. Mine still shows no sign of wear. I also find it's slightly warmer (traps sweat) than the standard stuff. Does look and feel like a more expensive fabric

Lear

Graemsay

Practically Family
Giles at Ironheart UK got a Half Belt with a brown gaberdine lining, and a Jan Solo leather strip.

IMG_4195.jpg

More at:

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2505.msg169687#msg169687

mattp

One of the Regulars
My Cafe Racer was to have OD gabardine sleeve linings (this was approved months ago), but apparently the OD is being kept for some particular styles so it turned up this week with black gabardine. I'm trying to get this resolved at the moment, I will know more on Monday hopefully as the reseller I'm going through is being great about the whole thing. This brings me to my next question, has anyone ever put tartan over gabardine? I think tartan is the best looking sleeve lining, but isn't durable enough for my needs, so if it wears through the gabardine will be underneath. This may be a stupid idea, I am just trying to figure out a solution. Hopefully they'll just honour their initial agreement and fix the jacket the way it should be.
Anyway, if anyone has done this I'd be interested to hear how it wears. My main concern is that some of my watches are quite large, and the bezels will be pretty abrasIve on whatever lining is in there. Re-lining it periodically wouldn't be a problem except postage from Australia would be $100++ due to the weight and insurance.
And for the purposes of the initial thread I guess the moral is that black gab is an option at the moment, olive drab not so much, and you may not get what you order if availability changes in the course of the 12-13 week lead time. Maybe for some this wouldn't be an issue, but these jackets cost a decent chunk of change and when you've spent hours working out the details of your jacket it'd be nice to get said jacket as ordered.
Cheers,
Matt

ps. The rest of the jacket was amazing, by far the nicest brown FQHH I've seen yet, and Janet did a cracker of a job. I'll put up some pics once I get hold of it.

Last edited:

mattp

One of the Regulars
It is clearly visible at the ends of the sleeves, and was already hanging out the ends by half an inch or more, making it even more so.
I didn't think it would be that visible either.

Lear

One of the Regulars
The green gabardine must be more expensive for Aero to fit. I can understand why they'd want to discourage it. On my next order I'll probably hunt out something myself (W.Bill, London?), then post it up to Haggisland.

In fact, if anyone has any other ideas for a hard wearing, cool lining (not supplied by Aero), let's hear it.

Lear

Selling my Aero Veste de Rallye, Size 46 cordovan. See Classified...

mattp

One of the Regulars
The green gabardine must be more expensive for Aero to fit. I can understand why they'd want to discourage it. On my next order I'll probably hunt out something myself (W.Bill, London?), then post it up to Haggisland.

In fact, if anyone has any other ideas for a hard wearing, cool lining (not supplied by Aero), let's hear it.

Lear

Selling my Aero Veste de Rallye, Size 46 cordovan. See Classified...

It may well be, and if they'd told me this I wouldn't have been disappointed when it turned up with the black rather than just doing it. Giles from Iron Heart has been sending Ventile cloth up to put in as waterproof linings on some of their collaboration jackets, which looks like a great fabric also but not as abrasion resistant as the gabardine. To make a leather jacket fully waterproof though it's pretty clever, though I don't know when I'd be in weather so inclement to call for that level of protection!

Lear

One of the Regulars
Funny you should mention ventile. It's a rare fabric, even rarer in the USA I believe. I once had an olive green ventile smock. The fabric was quite thin and extremely smooth to the touch. The edges of the cuffs frayed quite quickly.

It is clearly visible at the ends of the sleeves, and was already hanging out the ends by half an inch or more, making it even more so.
I didn't think it would be that visible either.

" Hanging out by half an inch or more". That would be enough for me to want a 'fix'. The lining shouldn't be 'hanging out' of the sleeves at all. At least none of my Aero jackets have that problem.
HD

mattp

One of the Regulars
" Hanging out by half an inch or more". That would be enough for me to want a 'fix'. The lining shouldn't be 'hanging out' of the sleeves at all. At least none of my Aero jackets have that problem.
HD

I agree, it was worse on one side, but there was definitely a fair bit of excess in both sleeves. With the jacket not being worn it wasn't hanging out, but putting it on was enough to push the excess out the ends of the sleeves. Otherwise, like you said, you wouldn't really expect to see the lining of the sleeves and it wouldn't matter so much what colour it was.

Edward

Bartender
If Aero are willing to do it, I should think the Green Gab would be available now, as they again have the B10 on their website..... (which is giving me lunatic thoughts of the B15.... a few years ago they were selling off B15s at £130 odds. Didn't bu as at the time I preferred the B10. Changed my mind in recent years.... gah....).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff