Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero hardware (nickel vs. brass)

Herman F.

New in Town
Hi — First-time poster / short-time lurker here. I'm in the midst of getting my first Aero, a 1930s halfbelt in navy Vicenza. I took a chance and bought one from Aero's sale page; the fit isn't right, but I like it so much otherwise that I'm sending it back and ordering a new one.

Fit aside, the only thing about the jacket I find disappointing is the nickel hardware (see pics). To me it looks... I don't know... cheap. Tinny and shiny. I don't know what I was expecting — burnish? Depth? Character? Maybe I'm being silly.

Does anyone else feel this way about the nickel? I'm tempted to go with brass or antique brass, but in theory at least, nickel seems like a better fit for the navy. Maybe it looks better as the shine wears off. Any opinions (or, if anyone has them, pics of antique brass against navy) would be appreciated.

Also, I'd like to sort of collectively thank this entire forum for everything I've learned about leather jackets here — which is, basically, everything I know about leather jackets (not much yet). God knows what I'd be buying right now otherwise.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the lounge Herman F!
I think the nickel looks quite nice in contrast to the navy blue in the photos you posted, but if you don’t like it then you should absolutely consider something else.
I would recommend against antique brass though, for the simple reason that it is artificially aged and it will always look this way.
Shiny brass hardware will begin to tarnish and darken up from the day you get your jacket and it will look quite wonderful in a short while. If you were thinking about brass I would definitely go with the shiny stuff and let it break in with the rest of your jacket. There’s my two cents worth!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have the same jacket and hardware. I agree it doesnt seem very well made. But you don't hear of too many fails.

Mich486

One Too Many
I think both nickel and brass look fine with navy leather. Antique brass I personally think it looks best with tan/browns and burgundy leathers.

Speaking of hardware I’d also ask to get those side adjuster swapped for d-rings as I find them pretty ugly. In general I think Aero should up their hardware game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bennarion

One Too Many
2.jpg

I don't particularly like these molded clamps. They are not brass-coated only. D rings are the best option.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
These are examples of WW2 era hardware.I don't know if they are nickel plated or cast aluminium but they have a lot of appeal.

Attachments

• PC230053.JPG
    PC230053.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,214
  • PC230057.JPG
    PC230057.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,233
  • PC230061.JPG
    PC230061.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,225
  • PC230064.JPG
    PC230064.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,242
  • P7290045.JPG
    P7290045.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,282
  • P7290046.JPG
    P7290046.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,241

Skanstull

New in Town
Does the brass Aero currently use actually develop a patina? Somewhere, someone wrote that modern day brass does not age like brass used to do.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
If you’re talking about the standard aero Talon repro zippers, I believe they’re all base metal. Nothing that’s going to really change / patina like the old vintage zippers made of actual metal. Even current YKKs seem to age more in my order experience.

If the zip detail truly matters to you ( myself included), ask Holly what NOS vintage zippers they currently have laying around. It will be an upcharge but was worth it for me when I did two custom builds.

Herman F.

New in Town
Thanks a lot, everyone. Yeah, I found those side clamps a little dismaying to look at (likewise the gumball-machine bauble on the pocket zipper). For fit-related reasons, Aero is now recommending I go with the Premier halfbelt, which seems to have the side benefit of nicer hardware. The Premier zipper choice is apparently between Hookless replicas or "one from a huge stock of deadstock Conmar or Talon dating from at least 50 years ago," which I guess means I have more research to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana